• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Soldato
There's nearly £100 gap between the i7-7700K and that supposed i9-7800X price. The 6c/12t Coffee Lake could be right in the middle.

But it looks like the i5's will move up to 4c 8t, which should mean EOL for the 7700K, leaving the 6c 12t coffee lake to slot right into it's pricing position..at least that's what I'm counting on.

Soldato
But it looks like the i5's will move up to 4c 8t, which should mean EOL for the 7700K, leaving the 6c 12t coffee lake to slot right into it's pricing position..at least that's what I'm counting on.

Even if that's the case that's between 70-80% more expensive than an AMD R5 1600, so value for money is still poor, as there is not chance you are getting 70-80% performance increase.

Soldato
Nope, because the HEDT will have more PCI-E lanes and a better feature set overall, with quad channel RAM etc.
How useful is 12 extra lanes?
What software benefits from quad channel memory instead of dual channel memory? Surely such software would also benefit from more cores which means that if someone cared about it they would also go for more cores.
In general people list things in order of importance so I'm going to assume that everything that comes under etc. probably isn't a significant reason for a majority of people to move up to HEDT given the cost

Soldato
Even if that's the case that's between 70-80% more expensive than an AMD R5 1600, so value for money is still poor, as there is not chance you are getting 70-80% performance increase.

AMD certainly offer great value, but I would have thought a lot of people buying into HEDT will be wanting the best performance whatever the cost.

Soldato
How useful is 12 extra lanes?
What software benefits from quad channel memory instead of dual channel memory? Surely such software would also benefit from more cores which means that if someone cared about it they would also go for more cores.
In general people list things in order of importance so I'm going to assume that everything that comes under etc. probably isn't a significant reason for a majority of people to move up to HEDT given the cost

Achieving a higher overclock with less cores is more likely, and if you need those lanes, you need them. Don't forget a lot more devices are using PCI-E now, NVMe m.2/U.2 drives need 4x lanes, and if you want two that's 8 lanes, add 16x for a single graphics card, and you are already on 24 lanes, with no additional hardware. This is why I thank the inventors of the PLX chip as it has allowed a lot of the builds I do to happen, but would have not been possible even with 40+ lanes.

Soldato

I'm willing to bet a 6c 12t coffee lake CPU @4.5Ghz (or higher) will offer nearly as much productivity performance as an 8c 16t Ryzen, and will certainly be faster in gaming.

Soldato
I'm willing to bet a 6c 12t coffee lake CPU @4.5Ghz (or higher) will offer nearly as much productivity performance as an 8c 16t Ryzen, and will certainly be faster in gaming.

But we already know that's not true as the 6800K get's is backside handed to it against a 1700/1700X/1800X, because in productivity if cores count, then more is better, not less. Also we know that everyone is well aware that 6c/12t+ are not needed in games, since that is all I have seen being argued all over the bloody internet since Ryzen launched. So it would only be down to IPC at whatever clockspeed, and you'll be able to get that from the new cheaper low end i5's with 4c/8t or whatever they chose to do.

Soldato
Achieving a higher overclock with less cores is more likely, and if you need those lanes, you need them. Don't forget a lot more devices are using PCI-E now, NVMe m.2/U.2 drives need 4x lanes, and if you want two that's 8 lanes, add 16x for a single graphics card, and you are already on 24 lanes, with no additional hardware. This is why I thank the inventors of the PLX chip as it has allowed a lot of the builds I do to happen, but would have not been possible even with 40+ lanes.

Not sure what your overclock statement is referring to. Fair enough on the rest. How much difference is there between native and a plx chip.

I think you will struggle getting 4.5 GHz on 6c 12t. Temperature will be a big issue.

Soldato
Not sure what your overclock statement is referring to. Fair enough on the rest. How much difference is there between native and a plx chip.

You said "Surely such software would also benefit from more cores which means that if someone cared about it they would also go for more cores." sometimes frequency and IPC, outweighs pure core/thread count, so having a lower end chip with less cores, could mean a bigger OC, which in turns means a higher average performance.

Difference in lanes? Well I've used a number of boards but the Asus X99-E-10G's allow 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x for a total of 64 usable lanes, I could have done with more though! I hope AMD HEDT will allow support for 64+ native lanes. :)

Soldato
Looks like the 7740K and 7640K are listed also.

INTEL i7-7740K - 4c/8t @ 4.30/4.50GHz - 112W
L2 CACHE - 4 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 8MB
£273 + VAT

INTEL i7-7640K - 4c/8t @ 4.00/4.20GHz - 112W
L2 CACHE - 4 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 6MB
£173 + VAT

Basically other than the 2MB cache, they've just dumped the 7700K and 7600K out of the equation, it'll be around £10-20 more to get a 7640K rather than a 7600K.

So, 7700K stock is now worthless, no wonder 8 Pack was reducing the cost of the binned chips.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Do you have figures for this market share grabbing you say AMD has achieved?
Not until the next earnings call but it's plainly obvious that they've been selling loads of CPU's - we just don't know what percentage of market share they netted. Given that they had next to no HEDT or even midrange share it's going to be good news regardless.

Soldato
You said "Surely such software would also benefit from more cores which means that if someone cared about it they would also go for more cores." sometimes frequency and IPC, outweighs pure core/thread count, so having a lower end chip with less cores, could mean a bigger OC, which in turns means a higher average performance.

Difference in lanes? Well I've used a number of boards but the Asus X99-E-10G's allow 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x for a total of 64 usable lanes, I could have done with more though! I hope AMD HEDT will allow support for 64+ native lanes. :)

From what I've seen higher clocks only work when an app is poorly multi threaded or when the clock difference is significant *cough*xeon*cough*, but fair enough

Rumor has it that threadripper is 44 native for all of them. It's been confirmed that EPYC has 128 lanes. Do you think that will be enough for you:p?

off topic, I'm curious what did you put in those builds?

Back
Top Bottom