Fuji X Series

Associate
Regarding the 12mm I had the following focus issue but am quite settled with it now. Focus -peeking works quite well on the XE2.

I find the inner ring cap to be quite loose on it unless that is because I have got it mixed up with one from a Fuji which isn't quite as tight.

Interesting- I rarely stop mine down, only the very corners seem to sharpen appreciably when stopped down, and they're not bad at all to begin with.

I will admit the infinity mark on mine is slightly off though- quote common with Samyang. I'd like to adjust the ring markings, but a sharpie and a couple of test shots is OK for the moment.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I've been watching a couple of his reviews. He's a recent convert to Fuji. I heard him retract his initial opinion of the XT2 and listened to his opinion last night on crop V full-frame.

I watched his live stream other night and was chatting too him, he hates LR!

Going to wait to see what the next big update for ON1 is in June and prob bite the bullet...

Now get some of these 5am wildlife shots PP and uploaded :p

Soldato
New firmware available for X-T2, X-Pro2 , X-T20, X-T1

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html?dup

Not quite as feature packed as the previous update but here are the updates for the T2:

1.Tether shooting is available by wireless communication
( ... with paid plugin / software... )

2.Option of "ALL" is added to AF mode.
With this option, select "All" in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.

3.Function extension for "Shutter AF" and "Shutter AE".
With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in "Shutter AF" and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in "Shutter AE."

4.Options of "-6" and "-7" are added in the EVF BRIGHTNESS setting.
With the additional options, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.

5.Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.

6.Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial.
You can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.

7.Image transfer speed becomes faster to a smartphone or a tablet from a memory card in the slot 2.

8.The phenomenon is fixed that in MF mode, a focus can shift in a specified condition (ex. repeated CL shooting).

X-Pro2 users - you only get 4 and 6.
T1 and T20 seem like just minor things.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd always be polite otherwise I wouldn't be able to see what good use you could put the 56mm too before I buy it ;) I can hardly see the keyboard due to a 5 am wildlife shoot from this morning could be my next excuse.

Lol, I'm kidding too.

On the other news. Sold my 35/2.0 today, not used it since getting the 1.4. Even on the X-Pro 1 I find the focus acceptable for it's intended purpose and selling the 23/2.0 soon as well to fund the incoming 23/1.4. I should have known, I just love my fast primes.

Caporegime
I have the 35/2.0 and find it to be an excellent lens. Not used the 35/1.4 is it really that much better ?

I find the size and shape too small more than anything really, in isolation the images are excellent, it focuses fast and great lens for the money. There really isn't much to complaint about. I just prefer the bigger lens and 1 more stop of light.

Caporegime
Same for the 23/1.4 too, even at the same aperture.

Yeah the 23mm 1.4 is a beautiful lens.

The f2 lenses are good, and the 35mm is for example extremely sharp, but they are not the top end of Fuji optics and that should be obvious to most people. They are intended as good price/performance lenses that do not significantly interfere with the X-Pro2 optical viewfinder. The 23mm and 35mm 1.4, as well as the 56mm 1.2, are the creme de la creme and there is no replacement for them in the Fuji line-up.

It is just annoying that Fuji have not yet updated the original lenses with WR versions and the newer fast and quiet motors, but I guess in the end it's not a complete deal breaker.

Caporegime
Yeah the 23mm 1.4 is a beautiful lens.

The f2 lenses are good, and the 35mm is for example extremely sharp, but they are not the top end of Fuji optics and that should be obvious to most people. They are intended as good price/performance lenses that do not significantly interfere with the X-Pro2 optical viewfinder. The 23mm and 35mm 1.4, as well as the 56mm 1.2, are the creme de la creme and there is no replacement for them in the Fuji line-up.

It is just annoying that Fuji have not yet updated the original lenses with WR versions and the newer fast and quiet motors, but I guess in the end it's not a complete deal breaker.

I have found this the expensive way as I have sold both WR lens for the 1.4 versions. I just like the bokeh, I like the extra light and even the size. I found myself shooting through the EVF in the X-Pro 1 because the optical way in that isn't for me. The way it shifts focus point when half pressed due to the shift in perspective slows me down even more than the slow focus.

Lack of WR isn't a problem, the Canon 35L mk1 doesn't have WR either and it's fine!

Caporegime
I have found this the expensive way as I have sold both WR lens for the 1.4 versions. I just like the bokeh, I like the extra light and even the size. I found myself shooting through the EVF in the X-Pro 1 because the optical way in that isn't for me. The way it shifts focus point when half pressed due to the shift in perspective slows me down even more than the slow focus.

Lack of WR isn't a problem, the Canon 35L mk1 doesn't have WR either and it's fine!
Lack of WR isn't a big issue, but the focus is just slower and noisier than the newer lenses. Still, no real biggie except for action or video.

Associate
I love the 1.4 primes ( I have the 16mm and 35mm, plus the 56mm 1.2 ), and would agree that not having WR isn't much of an issue as most Fuji lenses are well made and quite robust anyway, even the cheaper ones. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the newer 23mm f2, 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 lenses .... they are smaller, cheaper, more weather resistant and focus a lot faster than the older wider aperture lenses. Plus, IQ is great also. But, like Raymond I prefer the wider aperture lenses for portraiture / natural light photography. If I was shooting subjects that require fast AF like kids, family, pet dogs ... then absolutely, the newer f2 primes perhaps make more sense. People just have to figure out what is the best tool for them.

Associate
Im tempted to get the 16mm next too, instead of going half ass for the 18/2.0 which feels like I'm making the same mistake.

Yup, forget the 18 f2 ... probably one of Fuji's worst lenses ( but still ok ). Not quite wide enough for many ... most people either go for the 14mm or 16mm. Personally, I prefer the 16mm, as it's wide enough without having too much distortion ; it's ultra sharp, has a fast aperture and has an amazingly short focusing distance which can make for some unusual perspectives !

Caporegime
Yup, forget the 18 f2 ... probably one of Fuji's worst lenses ( but still ok ). Not quite wide enough for many ... most people either go for the 14mm or 16mm. Personally, I prefer the 16mm, as it's wide enough without having too much distortion ; it's ultra sharp, has a fast aperture and has an amazingly short focusing distance which can make for some unusual perspectives !

I think I'll get it from the refurb store when they have some stock, not in any rush.

Ps 18mm is like the 28mm FF lens and I never liked that focal length. It's just too in between.

Last edited:
Associate
Likewise, I use them both for tracking kids playing, running and motorsports without issue. So no problem with AF performance, they're not silent but I never bother with video so a non issue.

What body is this on? I use the 35 1.4 on an XE2 and although it's a fantastic lens, I find it completely useless for tracking anything.

Back
Top Bottom