Help with thank you for Sikh family

Soldato
Hi all,

A neighbouring Sikh family to me have really been good to me and helped me out lately with a number of things so I wanted to get them a little thank you.

I was thinking some flowers (eg: orchids) or something but don't want to make a massive faux pas. Obviously alcohol is potentially dodgy ground so can anyone advise?

Soldato
The world could learn a lot from Sikhs. Every Sikh I have ever met has been a fantastic person. The whole mentality of doing good to others is fantastic. I know you could say the same of "Christianity", but you just have to look around to see that isn't always the case. I am sure there will be exceptions, but Sikhs just really do seem to live by their honor.

Well played OP - A nice gesture.

Caporegime
From my experience Sikhs are the biggest drinkers going - maybe you have them mixed up with Muslims?
This. Every Sikh I've known has been able to drink me under the table! Went to a Sikh wedding once. Groom was very well off and put on a free bar mainly for his non Sikh guests. We hardly got a look in :eek: 3 deep at the bar all night long.

Soldato
No not alcohol - Didn't you see boris johnson get laughed out of the door at the recent sikh centre he visited?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...gises-after-discussing-alcohol-in-sikh-temple

Both Alcohol and Smoking is forbidden for religious sikhs. But just like other religions most people adopt their own stance with regards to 'intoxication'.

Just buy them a box of Roses and a liccle card - its the gesture that counts. ;)

Soldato
Yup, agree with some choccies and a card - if they're properly religious Sikhs, I'd maybe avoid giving them stuff with egg/non vegetarian ingredients :)

Heck, you could order some Indian sweets and have them sent in the post to them if you so wanted:
http://www.royalsweets.co.uk/

They sell that brand in supermarkets too.

Cheers.

Caporegime
Both Alcohol and Smoking is forbidden for religious sikhs. But just like other religions most people adopt their own stance with regards to 'intoxication'.

Just buy them a box of Roses and a liccle card - its the gesture that counts. ;)

If you're worried about alcohol then shouldn't you also be worried about products that aren't veggie/vegan friendly too? Ergo a box of Roses isn't necessarily a good idea too...

Chances are they'll probably be happy with both alcohol and chocolate but if you want to play it super safe then surely avoid both.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
We used to live close to a Sikh temple, tbh it was a utter pain and quite frankly it needed shutting down. Every time i walked/cycled/drove by some awesome curry was being cooked which wafted in the air which in turn made me want to order/cook/ curry and put on weight :(

Also, while we are at is the there a reason for the different coloured Turbans or is just a hey i fancy wearing a red one today ?

Soldato
If you go into a Sikh temple, they will feed you regardless of whether you're Sikh or not. Pretty cool!

I think the different turbans are for different castes, like you'd have a warrior colour turban for example.

Soldato
OP
Jalebi looks like it's just the ticket, I'll get some of that from the site suggested. Thanks all!

PS: Might get myself some as well! :D

Back
Top Bottom