Retail Clothing Store (Work) advice in London

Caporegime
If you work in retail then you can do an awful lot worse than working for John Lewis. Obvious disclaimer that it may have changed in the past 12 years, but afaik they still pay out a bonus and give you decent (for retail) benefits.

Associate
If you work in retail then you can do an awful lot worse than working for John Lewis. Obvious disclaimer that it may have changed in the past 12 years, but afaik they still pay out a bonus and give you decent (for retail) benefits.

Agreed in principle - unfortunately 3 of the 4 times I've worked for them they've messed me about, though mostly due to the managers. Shame really because I actually liked working for them and the agreed with the company ethos.

@OP JL also subsidise but do not pay for a shop floor clothes, I used my subsidy for a rather nice suit that I never wore to work. Stock management however do get free uniform to an extent.

Soldato
Sorry, the store is Ariella. They've got a fee branches dotted about the place. Can't see their Oxford Street store being much of a success for the future if they have a high staff turnover rate.

Never heard of it. I was going to say I will ensure I do not shop there. But looks like I never will anyway!

Soldato
my daughter works for River Island, she gets 1 full outfit every 6 weeks from the shop for free, and gets a 40% discount on all other things.

when she started she got 2 full outfits to start, she has a contract with set hours, and a good management in place, allowing her holidays within reason etc.

If I was your wife, I would use my retail experience to get a job within the sector that gives at least all of the above, Lidl pay the living wage in London at over £9/hour, there are good and bad employers out there, the secret is to settle in the good ones.

Soldato
OP
Aaand there goes the Oxford Street branch of Ariella located in House of Fraser. Wife just texted me to let me know of this so good riddance to them. This news leaves only the Brent Cross branch remaining afaik. Luckily the missus has been paid for May as of yesterday but quite a few of the younger staff haven't due to 'complications at HQ' - Hope they do get paid as I was expecting issues like this since no one is on a contract.

She's snagged a job at some Sandwich clothing store starting in June. Pay is a more respectable £8.65 an hour. Don't know about anything else at this early stage. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input, it has been very useful.

Back
Top Bottom