Arsenal FC - A complete shambles. What needs to change? *Please read OP before posting*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
just saw this post on another forum

I was very very lucky to be chatting to Liam Brady on Monday evening. He classes himself as a good friend of Wenger & from what he was saying there's a right old ding dong going on at board level in the club.

A 'complete split' between board members on the direction of the club was how he put it. I asked him if he thought Wenger would stay and he said that whilst Wenger wants to stay, because of the power struggle on the board, he (Wenger) doesn't know if the club will renew his contract and that its still very much up in the air. If one side wins, Wenger stays, if the other side wins, he'll go. Like ourselves, he said the delayed announcement was a disaster and has had a really unsettling affect on the club and its players and probably cost us a champions league place.

It was a moment of a lifetime - what a guy

Couple of other interesting points he made;

He thinks Xhaka 'could' be the real deal but is struggling to settle into the club. He feels this next season will be the make or break of him, but said in many ways he's like a young Adams. Quite shy, he apparently doesn't get shown respect from a couple of the senior players and because of that when he tries to marshal the team, he's often ignored.

Also on Ozil, when I asked if he thought we'd lose Sanchez and Ozil, his reply was that Ozil wouldn't be a great loss, not a team player and blows hot and cold.

Soldato
I think Xhaka is excellent as a deep lying playmaker, he has an awesome left foot and plays some quality balls. He is definitely not a DM from this seasons showing though which I think is what he was labelled as when he joined.

Soldato
I thought they didn't even give Usmanov a place on the board when he got all his shares? Let alone having full control. Does he still have a relationship with David Dein?

Soldato
Interesting.

I'm quite curious with what's happening with the board. I want Usmanov in full control (and Kroenke out) apparently he ain't giving up yet.

I'm really not sure about Usmanov, he may be willing to bankroll the club and throw his money around like another billionaire with a new toy, but some of the stories that are circulating about him to give me concern.

I do not like Arsenal under Kroenke, not because of his lack of investment but because of a perceived lack of ambition on his part, but I'm really not sure that Usmanov is the answer. I'm aware that his criminal record has been expunged, and nobody is likely to make the kind of money he has without treading on a few toes along the way, but given how litigious he has been in supressing some of the articles around him it does make me wonder if he is the sort of person I would like to be in charge at Arsenal.

Soldato
I'm really not sure about Usmanov, he may be willing to bankroll the club and throw his money around like another billionaire with a new toy, but some of the stories that are circulating about him to give me concern.

I do not like Arsenal under Kroenke, not because of his lack of investment but because of a perceived lack of ambition on his part, but I'm really not sure that Usmanov is the answer. I'm aware that his criminal record has been expunged, and nobody is likely to make the kind of money he has without treading on a few toes along the way, but given how litigious he has been in supressing some of the articles around him it does make me wonder if he is the sort of person I would like to be in charge at Arsenal.

If Usmanov is willing to invest heavily into Arsenal I don't care where his money comes from!

He wants Arsenal to be successful and has a passion for the club. Plus he does actually turn up and watch the games unlike Kroenke.

That's good enough for me.

Soldato
If Usmanov is willing to invest heavily into Arsenal I don't care where his money comes from!

He wants Arsenal to be successful and has a passion for the club. Plus he does actually turn up and watch the games unlike Kroenke.

That's good enough for me.

Really? So no matter what somebody has done, as long as they're willing to pump money into Arsenal then you're ok with it? I can't believe that's actually the case.

Associate
just saw this post on another forum

That looks like a "been talking to a bloke from the garage who knows someone who works in the yewf" type of thing.

I'm wondering who the board wars are between. In recent AGM's the board (Friar, Gazidis, Keswick, Harris, Kroenke's) always seem unanimous in how the club is being run as their shares are worth a fortune now compared to then. The only fly in the ointment is Usmanov but he has no power and doesn't even attend AGM's and meetings. 7 wins out of 8 is unsettled? The issues was the Bayern games, they completely broke us for a time. Looks like nonsense.

Wenger vs Board maybe.

Caporegime
That looks like a "been talking to a bloke from the garage who knows someone who works in the yewf" type of thing.

I'm wondering who the board wars are between. In recent AGM's the board (Friar, Gazidis, Keswick, Harris, Kroenke's) always seem unanimous in how the club is being run as their shares are worth a fortune now compared to then. The only fly in the ointment is Usmanov but he has no power and doesn't even attend AGM's and meetings. 7 wins out of 8 is unsettled? The issues was the Bayern games, they completely broke us for a time. Looks like nonsense.

Wenger vs Board maybe.

The Bayern games broke us, after the first 5-1 loss we had Sutton who we beat. We then lost to Liverpool being completely outplayed and then lost to BGayern again. Directly following the second Bayern loss we beat Lincoln 5-0, lost to WEst Brom, Drew with Man City and beat West ham before losing to Place, beating Boro and beating City in extra time in the cup.

Which run of losses broke us after the Bayern games... was it the two wins, albeit against dire opposition, or drawing with City, beating a massively in form Leicester?

There was nothing at all different about how we played post Bayern losses or the Bayern games themselves, we played the same game. We were inconsistent all season. The loss to Southampton in the cup where we were laughably poor, the bayern games, the Spurs game, the Palace game, the West brom game.

Look up tables of us vs the top third, middle third, bottom third.

I posted a few times late Jan pointing out that we both had a shockingly poor record against the top 8 and we played the top 8 less than anyone else. We had more home and lower table games than almost any other team, we were dire in those games. I said there is a good 90% chance that we'll now fall further behind as that run of games evens out and we play more top teams while others play more lower teams and shock, horror, that is what happened.

The only difference between up to end of Jan was we had less tough games played, we played the same football, the same guys went missing in the same games, Sanchez struggled horribly as a central striker for much of the season. A large portion of his goals in the first three months came late in games when GIroud was brought on and Sanchez was moved back out wide and in many of those games we looked dire for 70 mins till that change happened.

As for the supposed words from Brady, if true who cares, the main issue wasn't spoken about, what can Wenger do different if he does stay? The past 12 years suggest nothing, nothing at all. HE said nothing interesting at all, players need to improve, Xhaka massively so but it won't happen under Wenger because the players just don't get better under Wenger. The attitude of so many players is absolutely awful and Wenger clearly encourages this kind of attitude because it's both been a problem for years and he's also shown repeatedly that any players who show that anger and determination to do better, to call out the team when it's playing like **** and to try to push them to do better gets shown the door asap, while the yes men who think way way too highly of themselves get new contracts over and over again. Wenger staying will be a disaster, whatever money he gets he'll spend most of it poorly, whoever he gets in won't hit the same form or be as good as at previous clubs for the most part and the existing squad won't improve. As with all our best players, after a few years the actually good ones with the right attitude will get frustrated and leave. Wenger staying will lead to the wrong guys getting new contracts, more of the wrong players than right players being bought and more of the right players leaving and wrong players getting new contracts. Every year he stays makes it harder for the next guy to do a good job when he takes over.

Associate

Before the Bayern game we had lost 4 league games from the 24 before that. Not bad, a fair few games where we scored 3+. We then took 4 points from 15 after the Bayern games which I believe was where we lost ground on the top 4. The Everton and Man City games back to back didn't help but we actually moved up to 2nd for a time after that. Even after Watford and Chelsea back to back we were still in the top 4.

Sanchez goal times when he was playing as the front man - 40, 77 (Giroud came on before goal), 17, 83 (Giroud didn't play), 11, 13, 19, 78 (Giroud came on before goal), 12, 90 (Giroud came on before goal), 72 81 87 (hat-rick playing up front, Giroud didn't play), 20. So out of 14 goals, 3 is a large portion? I haven't included the assists.

As per usual, spouting rubbish with no facts to back it up. Our best form was with Sanchez up front.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm kinda sad to see him sign an extension. I don't think there is anything he can do in the next two years to turn fans opinions around, and I don't want to see one of the most admirable men in football put through the ringer like he has been this season.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm kinda sad to see him sign an extension. I don't think there is anything he can do in the next two years to turn fans opinions around, and I don't want to see one of the most admirable men in football put through the ringer like he has been this season.
I am kind of a bit sad it was not 3 years, but very happy overall, he can always extend again :)

But I see what you mean :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom