What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I have actually done something to a car....and it improved it! Never in my life have I lowered a car and it's improved the ride, made it more compliant and generally more comfortable. I'm truely amazed :D It looks loads nicer to me also. It'll do for a year (stop laughing :D )

Man of Honour
Always the case when the sun is shining. :) Even though I have a garage November to February nothing gets done then when March hits i'm out on most weekends much to the displeasure of the missus!
Nothing more demotivating than it being GREY outside.

First two coats of clear on now as well

WRN9trN.jpg

Another coat to on to give it plenty to work with when I have it detailed

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Superb work that, looks really REALLY well done for a "home" job.

I'm massively pleased with how it's turned out, there's a couple of runs in the clear but there's enough that we can wet flat them out with some super fine wet and dry

Looks great, how is the colour match vs the doors?
I'll find out tomorrow when we refit the doors, I'm not too bothered on the Colour match with though as the doors, wings, bumpers and boot lid will all be done through the summer.
Main priority this week was getting all the non-removable parts painted as we've used my grandparents car port as its got provisions to be fully enclosed it with tarpaulin

Man of Honour
Looks good in pics. Will reserve judgement til I next see it! ;)

Looks a deeper gold than the front quarter through the sheeting, but that might just be the lighting/sheet etc.

It'll look better than whatever shed you turn up in :p

Colour has changed with a few hours sat in the sun but its certainly "brighter" than the original

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Might need to polish up the old paint to match but should look awesome. Ginger cars FTW. Looks great in the pics and should look fantastic when you do the rest eventually. Props to you and your pops (and the old people for the use of space).

Man of Honour
Might need to polish up the old paint to match but should look awesome. Ginger cars FTW. Looks great in the pics and should look fantastic when you do the rest eventually. Props to you and your pops (and the old people for the use of space).

By the time I'm done it should end up being one of the cleanest mk2s in the country. Trouble is the more I do the more I find to do.

Once the paintwork and chassis rails are done I want to starting getting all the suspension and chassis bracing blasted, powercoated and rebushed

Dup

Dup

Soldato
By the time I'm done it should end up being one of the cleanest mk2s in the country. Trouble is the more I do the more I find to do.

Once the paintwork and chassis rails are done I want to starting getting all the suspension and chassis bracing blasted, powercoated and rebushed

I hope so, seems to be properly sorted. How are the chassis legs on yours? Are you gonna do any preventative maintenance with under sealing etc?

I miss my MX5. I work around the corner from CBS autos and walked passed daily. His yellow build is spotless. Full nut and bolt Mk1 resto with turbo. Very jealous!

Man of Honour
Chassis legs have a few holes. They're to be done before the second round of paint.

I need to get behind the sills cavity waxed and underseal the underside before winter comes around now that as we did sills and arches in April. I should probably get it tuned by a pro at some point too, but I love the satisfaction of knowing that everything that's been done on this car is a combination of mine and my dad's efforts alone.

I think I've been through a build thread for that yellow mk1. Wish I'd started a project thread for mine, but I never intended on the turbo conversion when I bought it let alone what's going to end up being a pretty much full resto

Back
Top Bottom