TalkTalk Fibre - frequent disconnects??

Soldato
Howdy :cool:

I just upgraded from standard ADSL to Faster Fibre on 1st of June, it's great.. awesome speeds I'm getting which is a big step up from the 6MB I was getting previously!

However, I've been getting random reboots/disconnects happening a lot especially when streaming Amazon/Netflix or just gaming on PS4.. I'm using my own router as the HG633 is awful, so I'm using the TP-Link AC1200 VR400

TalkTalk are never around to help at weekend, hoping they can look at my line. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what may be wrong?

Router stats:

R88QyuM.jpg

Soldato
The line will need to train. The speed will automatically reduce until it finds a stable level.

You should leave the ISP router connected until it does stabilise. If there is an actual fault your ISP is unlikely to help with a third party router connected.

Soldato
Perfectly normal. As @bremen1874 says, the line is training itself for a stable maximum speed. Your errors are quite high so it will disconnect and reconnect at incrementally lower speeds until it finds something where the errors stop or reduce to an acceptable level. Takes a week or two from memory.

Soldato
I will swap router around tonight back to the TalkTalk for a week or two.

Is it normal to get disconnects then?

Thanks
Yes it can be in the early days as the Digital Line management will adjust your line's speed as in lower it until it stops dropping. It does this to ensure stability at the fastest speed your line can handle.

Usually takes 3 days roughly but most ISPs will quote much longer than this to ensure DLM has been given enough time to train the line. Also try not to hard reboot your router or turn it off. DLM will see this as a disconnect and can interfere with the training period.

I'm curious though it looks like you're at 50ish Mpbs at the moment. If it needs to drop the line's speed much more it seems hardly worth paying for more than the 40Mbps package or (upto 37 as they advertise now).
Unless you require the extra bandwidth on your upload?
Kinda sucks that they dont do roughly 5Mbps up for the 37 package but Openreach are to blame for that. They create the profiles for FTTC. There should be a 50Mbps profile now that offers 10Mpbs upload but not seen many ISPs roll it out.

Soldato
OP
Would turning my modem off to switch back to HG633 (TT router) be a good idea then, as this could affect things?

I think my quoted guaranteed speed was 40-45mb, whilst I know this isn't much more than their standard fibre package, I just thought for a fiver more.... :D I will probably monitor this though.

Soldato
Heh, my quoted minimum speed was 4Mbps and that's what I get (don't ask - miles from the cabinet) so I'd expect the line to disconnect and reconnect until it settles on 40Mbps. Just leave the router alone would be my advice.

Caporegime
Howdy :cool:

I just upgraded from standard ADSL to Faster Fibre on 1st of June, it's great.. awesome speeds I'm getting which is a big step up from the 6MB I was getting previously!

However, I've been getting random reboots/disconnects happening a lot especially when streaming Amazon/Netflix or just gaming on PS4.. I'm using my own router as the HG633 is awful, so I'm using the TP-Link AC1200 VR400

TalkTalk are never around to help at weekend, hoping they can look at my line. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what may be wrong?

Router stats:

R88QyuM.jpg
Those error packets on the downstream, what sort of time period is that? And what was your VCOP speed at time of ordering?

Soldato
OP
It was between 40-45, I can't remember exactly what it was.

Just for comparison, this is the stats at the moment (after it rebooted!)

04b09e05-e086-4954-8dbd-cd075721d461
iKtjM1E.png

Soldato
So speed has increased slightly and errors on the line has increased significantly. I'm starting to think there may be a issue some where. Personally after 3 days / 72 hours if there is still significant errors on the line id be kinda worried. I only have to disconnect / reset my modem 3 times within half a hour to see the speed drop.

Caporegime
No way that error count would be normal for even hours and hours and GB's of downloads. By comparison I only have 3552 FEC errors over 1080 hours of up time. Something is definitely wrong. Contact Talk Talk.

Back
Top Bottom