DELETED_5350

Associate
It's an okay but fairly generic CV. This really isn't the point in CVs though.

You need to heavily tailor it to the job you're applying for. I'd make an "about me" section at the top giving very specific points about your character and interests that directly relate to the role you're applying for. Really ham it up.

I'd concentrate the job descriptions down to 3 or 4 bullet points. Again, listing only things that are exactly what you think they're looking for in that role. Write it with the mindset that you're perfect for the job and that they'd be idiots to consider anyone else.

You needn't list individual grades for your GCSE subjects. I'd just put "7 GCSEs at grades A-C, including English, Science, and IT".

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but I have been in a position where I've vetted CVs for a position in a previous company.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit where you said you were looking for just grammar advice.

Associate
You've got an administrative assistant job listed there but nothing underneath?

Unless you did infact do nothing at that job :D

I'd also agree with the above re qualifications. Don't think it matters that you got a C in RE

Associate
I cant go into detail about every job, i thought it was normal to just say something about your two last jobs?
Put on as much as possible to sell yourself... if the 3rd (or 4th) job demonstrated desirable skills that the more recent jobs did, then list them ;)

Start with a personal statement to sell yourself in 1/4 page paragraph. Lure them in to make them want to read more about you and potentially phrase/tailor it to the job you're applying for. What have you been doing since 2014? Sell yourself and justify any gaps, even if it's "raising children - I left work at 2014 to dedicate my time to raising my children" in your personal statement - just having it blank leaves questions and that tends to put you on the bottom of the heap.

As above, list your GCSEs as a generic however many a-c inc English and maths (where is maths?) as they're usually the only key ones. To be honest (and possibly a cynic) - if you're after an IT job and you've stipulated you only get a C at IT GCSE, then could that potentially work against you, so hide it without lying?

Also, where are your "skills" or achievements - you've listed various time and team management activities without stipulating your knowledge and importance of communication, teamwork and time-management skills. What professional skills do you have - what software that is specific to your job are you skilled in? to what level? any qualifications/training to back that up?

Have it 2 sides, with a personal statement and jobs on 1, then education, skills and personal interests/development on the other (non work related stuff to show you're a "well rounded" person). At least put "references available upon request" if you don't need to pad the spacing on the 2nd page by listing the references fully there.

You should be selling yourself to any job you're applying for - that means potentially having differently worded CVs for different applications (e.g. one for a project management job and another for support - with different skills/evidence highlighted in each).

Finally, when applying for any job, write a single-page cover letter that justifies why YOU are ideal for the job. Pretty much a longer version of the personal statement (but don't just copy and past sections of your CV) - use this to link together skills the new job needs with examples of times you're demonstrated that key skill successfully, from the jobs listed on your CV.

Plenty of places will help explain how to consider and layout your CV, in a presentable and appealing way: https://www.cv-library.co.uk/career-advice/cv/how-to-write-a-cv-tips-for-2017/

And... all the best of luck ;)

Soldato
^^ great advice above.

Minor point from me, but lose the times new Roman. I work in one of the more traditional/backwards service industries, and times looks outdated and cluttered even by our standards!

Associate
I dont actually have a maths GCSE, well grade E, so its technically irrelevant.
this could be a fun stumbling block as most skilled jobs stipulate a need for c or above in English and Maths. Possibly the best way, without lying, is to just state something like "7 GCSEs ranging from A to C" without any mention of subjects. If they specifically ask you if you have a c or above in maths then it's down to you to choose to lie and risk being caught, but I can't imagine anyone asking if you just state "7 GCSEs ranging from A to C", especially as they will see a previous employment history.

I'm conflicted on the two page bit since a lot of people are telling me it should remain one page?
do some research - https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/size-matters-how-to-keep-your-cv-short-and-sweet/
"91% of recruiters we surveyed called two pages the perfect CV length."

I was off work due to ill health and im not really what to put for it, its not something I want to go into detail on a cv.
No need to go into detail, but some comment in the personal statement would clarify things to (a) justify the missing time (otherwise they might think it's hiding a job you've chosen to exclude/hide 'cos you got fired for something bad and don't want them to find out) and (b) it reassures them that you are over the problems and are fit and happy to return to work.

I see your point about skills/achievements bit, main one being is that I managed the IT stores dept for a few months for a very large site. (30k+ users i believe). 99% of the software the job relied on was in-house applications that arent avaiable anywhere else so I avoided putting them down since no-one would know what they were.

But I suppose I could put down things like: Imaging/PXE booting, OS reinstalls, TCP-IP, DNS, things like that?

In all honesty I dont have much in terms of qualifications/certifications (other than getting some NVQ's while at the IT job). But during my time since i've left work i've kept my foot in the game and learned a lot about virtualization/cloud/web apps-docker, but im a little hesitant of putting them down because I dont want to come across like I'll be suitable to work on those if they put me in those roles. I'm qualified enough todo some homelab things, host my own services, small office networked services etc.
Off the top of my head, this could all be condensed into your personal statement area, something like:
"I am an accomplished IT project manager (insert job title you're applying for) with over 7 years experience within the IT sector. I have a proven history of managing projects from conception to completion, while observing proposed requirements, financial stipulations and strict deadlines, for a user-base of up to 30k people. etc... A bit more waffle about your skills and successes, specifying working in a team and some personal development within a position...
In 2014 I suffered some reoccurring health issues that required me to step away from my position at whoever, but I have recovered to full health and I am keen to get back into the workplace and embrace the next challenge. During this time away from whatever the company I have been able to keep my skills relevant by self-training in virtualization/cloud/web apps-docker, to support any future job title position."
^I hope that makes some sense - you need some personal statement to up-sell yourself without being dishonest, and use that to mention an unfortunate need to have a career break, but put a positive spin on it by mentioning your motivation to learn skills while out of employment.

Agreed on the font i've restored Calibri but what about a few bits of colour to major heading points? I'm not entirely sure on it.
just have it nice, clean and easy to read. Unless you're going into a modelling job then no photos and don't mess about with colours and fancy designs unless it's a graphics design type job...

Check out https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/career-break-cv-template/ and view their sample template to give you an idea of spacing and what kinda info/skills are generally expected to be seen.

Soldato
No, why? Well I've had a short job but its pretty irrelevant.

I've had personal reasons which I cant go into on here but im not really sure what to put for the gap in my work history?

Slightly updated version with abit of colour, some formatting changes, font changes and times new roman.

http://imgur.com/a/oeVWb

As you were off for ill heath, you will need to disclose this at some stage. You will likely be asked at interview. If you lied and just said personal or family reasons then declared it on occupational health forms or it came to light later, then you could easily be dismissed.

If for example it is due to disability, mental health or a chronic condition which (given your length of time off I assume it relates to) then you need to be upfront at interview stage or with a recruitment consultant but not necessarily on your CV.

With the career break it is worth looking at fixed term/temp contracts to rebuild experience as these can be easier to get back into.

CV Format - Page 1

1) Personal Statement (2-3 concise paragraphs)

Highly focused to the job or sector you are applying for, demonstrates key career ambitions, skills and sucesses.

2) Key Skills

Bullet points on your key technical, business and management skills.

3) Key Project Experience

Up to three examples of successful project delivery you have worked on or led, with total project values and your responsibilities including financial responsibility. (1-2 sentences each)

4) Professional Qualifications & Certifications

List your professional qualifications and training including any post nominals for professional memberships and relevant post graduate training certifications

The above 4 should fit comfortably on page 1. Keep it concise and confident.

Where possible quantify everything with financial, numeric and time values. E.g. led a team of 5 technical and support staff to deliver a £500k project over 12 months implementing xxxxxxx

Page 2

5) Academic Qualifications

6) Employment History & Career Breaks

You have space so you can expand more here. You should still be concise and focused to the role/sector and quantify everything.

Be fairly circumspect on your career break but you need to include it.

Permabanned
you have a decent experience along with strong educational background. But i would prefer to modernize you CV. Like there are thousands of templates available in the market.

Soldato
I have taken GCSE's off my CV as they were deemed irrelevant. If you are straight out of school or college then yeah put them down but after 10 years of employment you are expecting to have a basic standard of english and maths anyway so why put them down?

Its like stating in your CV you can read and write :D

Soldato
If you spell a word with "z" in the "ize" bit then the high likelihood is you're using American English.

Are digital marketing and website development really personal interests? You've shown you can do these things at work, including them in personal interests looks to me like you just go home and do more of the same. It seems a bit... boring (sorry if that sounds harsh!)

Caporegime
As you were off for ill heath, you will need to disclose this at some stage. You will likely be asked at interview. If you lied and just said personal or family reasons then declared it on occupational health forms or it came to light later, then you could easily be dismissed.

If for example it is due to disability, mental health or a chronic condition which (given your length of time off I assume it relates to) then you need to be upfront at interview stage or with a recruitment consultant but not necessarily on your CV.

With the career break it is worth looking at fixed term/temp contracts to rebuild experience as these can be easier to get back into.

Problem is disclosing disability and health related matters can lead to disability discrimination, got to be really careful.

Soldato
If @smoove were a woman the career break would pass without comment.

Anyway, under your two main jobs you want 5 responsibilities and 2 achievements. Since you're going for a tech job you want a buzzword bingo section up top. Remember that it is the top half of the first page that gets the sifter to read further.

Back
Top Bottom