*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
I would imagine the Sony would not be much different just with a better UI.

I still have my Logitech Z-5500 speakers for FR/FL/RR/RL and a Pansonic cinema speaker for centre and another strange make (Ariston?) for rear back and an old Toshiba rear TV Sub Woofer and its definitely not overkill and as you can see my speaker setup is hotchpotch! Your ears will love you for it.

Must really get round to getting some decent speakers that I can discretely replace without the wife noticing. ATMOS speakers are a bit harder to hide though... :)

Soldato
What's the view on the Sony X800 versus some of the samsung UHD players?

Build quality is far better on the sony it has a much better chassis so vibrations are noise are much improved over the samsung but then you are paying for it.

I have the samsung k8500 and its been excellent for me apart from the build quality and some times it can vibrate and rattle a little at the beginning when the disc is spinning up very fast. discs are fast to load though as fast as the sony.

I have put 40+ UHD movies through my samsung and its never skipped a beat so if you want a cheap reliable player then i can recommend it its just let down by the build quality.

If the sony was around at the time i would have opted for the sony due to its build quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even just watching the tv its impossible not to hear the 8500 when its spinning up, its that loud (with particular discs) - more than happy I got it, but it could be a lot quieter

Associate
Same boat here, unless I can use ARC I don't think I'll get much benefit from the Sony Bluray home cinema system I have. 4k Receiver feels like a bit overkill for the standard cinema speakers unless its part of a longer term upgrade.

What's the view on the Sony X800 versus some of the samsung UHD players?

The upscaling of DVD's and Blu-ray's on the X800 is superb and is far superior to the upscaling on my oled B6, it's also extremely quiet and of course the build quality is excellent
:)

Soldato
My Samsung K8500 just auto updated to firmware version 1011 today its dated 7th jun on the samsung support page but no idea what it changes:)

Edit apparently it adds HDR compatibility for Netflix.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Samsung K8500 just auto updated to firmware version 1011 today its dated 7th jun on the samsung support page but no idea what it changes:)

Edit apparently it adds HDR compatibility for Netflix.

Yeah its the official release for Netflix HDR for those who didnt manage to catch the quickly withdrawn 1010 release. Filedate is actually 25/05/2017. I dont understand why they do not include release notes with it to say what gets updated. Whether it just puts the new release Netflix app on or whether there are other minor improvements/bug fixes. I tried to find some but nada.

and my Dredd 4k has just turned up so I`m off to watch it.

Soldato
Not convinced at all
DV should remove the rendering problem for both oled and lcd when they do not conform to the unrealistic 3000nits, or so, of hdr10 mastering,
so the vendors contrive to squash the films dynamic range with home brew techniques, per the new HDTVtest video we discussed recently.

Maybe dv removes this silly HDR premium qualification (a few of the new Samsungs miss it by a few nits) with its bipolar led and oled specifications
albeit replacing that qualification cost for paying dolby a sum (a few cents like hevc ?) - do not need a custom h/w module for dv now, either, so retrofittable.

The HDR10 experience (even some OC'ers have expressed) of 'its too bright' maybe eleviated

...I think it bodes well

Soldato
DV should remove the rendering problem for both oled and lcd when they do not conform to the unrealistic 3000nits, or so, of hdr10 mastering,
so the vendors contrive to squash the films dynamic range with home brew techniques, per the new HDTVtest video we discussed recently.

Maybe dv removes this silly HDR premium qualification (a few of the new Samsungs miss it by a few nits) with its bipolar led and oled specifications
albeit replacing that qualification cost for paying dolby a sum (a few cents like hevc ?) - do not need a custom h/w module for dv now, either, so retrofittable.

The HDR10 experience (even some OC'ers have expressed) of 'its too bright' maybe eleviated

...I think it bodes well

Even DV want to go up to 10,000 nits. It's just that they can't at this time.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

Soldato
I think the beta-max vhs war has probably now been superseded by the brexit vote, and maybe dv will be the next battleground
but, more eloquently than my post http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

It is crucial how TVs with a relatively low peak brightness deals with a film that has been mastered on much higher level display. If you have a TV with a maximum brightness of 1400 cd/m2 how does it deal with highlights on a film of 4000?

The easiest way is clipping. In our example of a 1400 cd/m2 TV, everything from 1400 to 4000 would be clipped. What does this mean? It means that there would be no detail seen in that range of brightness and there would be no discernible colors in this region. This is simply because the TV cannot reproduce details in areas this bright as it is above its maximum output. At this point in time, some manufacturers clip highlights which are above their maximum brightness.

The alternative is tone mapping. On a 1400 cd/m2 TV, the highlights from 1400 to 4000 are remapped to fall below 1400 cd/m2. In practice, this means that there is some gentle roll off of color in the highlights starting around 1000 cd/m2.

This would mean that a TV that uses tone mapping would appear slightly dimmer than the same TV which employs clipping. While this is inevitable, a tone-mapped picture would show a lot more detail in the highlights than one which is clipped.

With DV, there is a Dolby chip that checks the TV's model and applies tone mapping using the TV's limitations as a reference. With HDR10, tone mapping entirely the manufacturer's choice, which can lead to inconsistency.

Soldato
so was it ridiculously funny, or can you send it back based on misrepresentation ? (not up there with Team America ?)

Noticed that JL now selling package with 50ex700 + ub300 = £878 , however even if the player is good, the ex700 reviews suggest inferior processing to last years dx750
(seems to be a trend, like the supermarkets cutting back the chocolate bar sizes ?, of Pan & samsung products being more expensive and inferior to predecessorsuccessor)

Back
Top Bottom