Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

gEd

gEd

Associate
TBH when I looked at S&T web-site thought they were a bit reclusive about saying where they were or whether a shop was attached

I just got mine from Amazon. £15/kg with prime to see what it was like, having previously ordered a kg of Rave Signature blend (which I liked a lot).

BTW, The S&T bag said "roasted May 2017" on it which was very reassuring.

I've also had the ModernStandard Momentum espresso from JS as a stop-gap for when I have run out. It's probably the best one that JS do but yes, it's your typical chestnut roast (which is my preferred roast most of the time).

after looking at coffeforums comments was heading in the direction of coffeecompass 3*500g taster pack
Ah, that's a new one on me, although I've not done much bean purchasing online as for the last 4 years I have had a subscription from Square Mile and before that, HasBean.
I may give them a try. cheers.

Soldato
Not quite the relief of Mafeking - but was running on empty

re-supply_zpslgaypjwg.jpg~original

ordered friday 12pm; personalised too, they give an introductory offer to coffeeforums users.
..... now just need the self-discipline to wait a few days post-roast

FTM

FTM

Soldato
at 300+ pages

anybody fancy doing a list of online purveyors of beans
I have already used hasbean a few times, but there must be loads more out there

Soldato
at 300+ pages

anybody fancy doing a list of online purveyors of beans
I have already used hasbean a few times, but there must be loads more out there

If you're registered at coffeeforums this post lists a load of UK Roasters with a web presence.... there is a lot of them!

I've only used Rave, Squaremile and a local one to me called Rounton. I'll probably try hasbean next.

Soldato
How do you guys feel about roasters roasting beans a different amount depending on if it's for espresso, filter etc? I know different flavour profiles and different grinds obviously lend themselves to different brewing styles, but I was a bit thrown when I went into my local coffee shop to buy some whole beans, picked up some Peruvian ones and they asked how I was going to brew them. I said aeropress, and that I have a grinder and they sort of put me off buying them because they were roasted for espresso instead :confused: In the end I went for an Ethiopian which they said was more roasted for filter. They're a decent independent coffee shop and roaster, the Ethiopian is lovely. I was just curious. I always assumed roasted roast the beans for the optimum time to get the best flavour out of the bean's flavour :confused:

Soldato
I always assumed roasted roast the beans for the optimum time to get the best flavour out of the bean's flavour
not an expert, but the water contact time/environment for the brews, are different so can justify a roasting difference.
I dislike coffee companies that doe not make that distinction in their product labelling, fewer bad purchases, and I would like them to show me a picture of the roasted beans so I can see the colour and size

I had bookmarked this from previous research
First "crack" is the water between the cell walls of the beans escaping. Second "crack" is the water inside the cells escaping. As it evaporates it ruptures the cell walls. The flavor oils come from inside the cells. A very dark roast can have oils on the beans within minutes of coming out of a roaster. Whether it's a commercial roaster or not. When the cell walls are ruputured like that the chemical reactions, aka the brewing process, start as soon as the oils have access to oxygen. That is why roasting dark can be problematic. Going into second crack will help develop the body and mouthfeel of a coffee but you run the risk of starting the brewing process too soon and causing the beans to stale and go rancid very quickly.

there is a lot of them!
yes would be like painting the forth bridge
You have found the really useful list and map of 357coffee roasters in the UK and Ireland

Man of Honour
Just received a Barista Express to replace my ailing Gaggia Classic. Pretty happy with it, though I've used the machine before so no surprises there. Will resign my Classic and Sage grinder to the office...

Man of Honour
I haven't tested steam as I don't tend to steam milk very often (maybe once a year...).

I also haven't read up on the grinder properly. I believe it's meant to be slightly worse but the results so far have been very reasonable without too much faff (HasBean Fazenda).

Soldato
Saw Seattle coffee crew comparison of DuoPro againsgt Delonghi dedica (£129!)
Dedica takes ese coffee pods + regular coffee, has a thermoblock so heats up fast, pre-infusion, temp+shot time control.

... really begs the question of why you would not have this instead of a nespresso, maybe just a few $$ more.

Arguably more attractive than nespresso machines, but might have to buy capsules/20p online

I don't think it is really competition for duopro, but that is >2x the price.

Soldato
Good day folks,
I am looking at buying an electric grinder. I have had the Japanese travel grinder that was recommended on here for quite some time now, and while it still works like a charm, I think I would like something with less manual labour. What can you all recommend? Ideally under £100 but I will see what over gets me if recommendations come in at that.

Thanks

Associate
If you're registered at coffeeforums this post lists a load of UK Roasters with a web presence.... there is a lot of them!

I've only used Rave, Squaremile and a local one to me called Rounton. I'll probably try hasbean next.

How have you found Rounton? They've got a coffee shop in Boro and just got my bean to cup machine so thinking of popping in to get some beans.

Man of Honour
Good day folks,
I am looking at buying an electric grinder. I have had the Japanese travel grinder that was recommended on here for quite some time now, and while it still works like a charm, I think I would like something with less manual labour. What can you all recommend? Ideally under £100 but I will see what over gets me if recommendations come in at that.

Thanks

If you're just doing brewed coffee then once again, I'm going to point you towards James Hoffmann...

Caporegime
Here's a couple of vids of me making a shot and steaming milk using my De'longhi Magnifica ESAM4200, if anyone's interested. I'm not posting this as an exemplar of technique but to learn, so any technique flaws gratefully received...

Single shot:

The beans are Sumatra Mandheling from Waitrose, which are the best I've found for my tastes. Very oily and quite dark.

Steaming:

I've removed the auto-frother that comes attached by default, otherwise it just turns the whole thing into cappuccino foam by the time it's hot enough.

I'm aware you wouldn't ordinarily start the steamer before the wand is in the milk, but I couldn't find a way to hold my phone and start the steamer in the milk.

Soldato
I currently own a rancilio silvia v3 but I haven't used it for at least a year. I'm being tempted to get a bean to cup machine for ease but with a recent house purchase funds are a little stretched.

Where would be the best place to sell the silvia? I'm assuming the answer will be eBay but hoping for a safer alternative.

Soldato
sold mine via gumtree, buyer collected, V1&V3, I believe, have replaceable element so worth more than v2.
coffeeforums (like MM, need posts as Scottland says) has a forum where folks list machines spotted on ebay/gumtree and their comments on them;
- subsequently found the replacement machine, I purchased off of ebay, in the forum.

Back
Top Bottom