Buying a used XB271HU, need advice

Associate
*Mods, apologies if this is against forum rules, I can't see any in relation to looking for advice on buying a used item from somewhere else.*

Someone is selling his XB271HU for £550, these can be bought for £600 (up until yesterday here on ocuk)

If the panel is a good one, no dead pixels and minimal back light bleed, is it worth paying this nearly new price for a used one?
If it's a year old and has no issues, will it now not likely develop any or are there any known issues that may arise on older models?

Associate
OP
For most products I agree but my reasoning is:

If I buy new for £600 I need to buy online from the UK (I'm in Ireland), they cost €800 (£700) new here, if I get a good one then great but research has shown that that seems like a gamble. If i want to return the new one I need to ship back to the UK, which won't be cheap (about €50) and bit of a hassle.

If i'm able to examine the used one in person and feel it's a good one then I think the 'premium' price for a used monitor doesn't seem so bad, I mean if it's in great condition and is a good example then what's the difference really?

Associate
OP
Didn't get it in the end, I went and had a look and was a little underwhelmed, granted I wasn't able to test 144hz/gsync as I only had my macbook but the general quality of the panel seemed a bit poor, whites had a slight yellowish tint and there was some back light bleed.

I'm thinking i'll wait and see what comes out in the next few months

Associate
I'm considering returning my Predator XB271HU after feeling underwhelmed by it. I've ordered the TN version of the model to compare and see if the IPS warrants the £100 premium over the TN version which at this point I doubt. I've gone from a 24" BenQ 60hz and the screen is nice but dont think it warrants £600 price tag....

Caporegime
I'm considering returning my Predator XB271HU after feeling underwhelmed by it. I've ordered the TN version of the model to compare and see if the IPS warrants the £100 premium over the TN version which at this point I doubt. I've gone from a 24" BenQ 60hz and the screen is nice but dont think it warrants £600 price tag....

I upgraded to the TN version with gsync and it's been the most underwhelming thing Ive bought for my pc in ages. One of the most expensive too.

Caporegime
a 24" AOC 144hz thing.

ive got 3 lazy pixels aswell that are green till i push the screen when it first boots up.

But i live in such a remote place its about 1 week to return and ship stuff here so i CBA to RMA it until i get a decent one.

Caporegime
to me its ok its a 1ms screen. I only have a 1070.

GTA5 benchmarks on my old monitor used to put me about 60 - 90 fps at 1080p
with this new monitor, i just turned on gysnc and it says 60 fps all day which is ok.
Im getting old i don't really play real FPS games anymore.
However I am playing a lot of Civ 6 now and its not an improvement. Whilst im not 100% sure its gsync causing it, i do get weird brightness levels going up and down mid game especially on static screens and menus. (tbh its doing my head in a bit. i need to work out why)

im just not really playing much right now that pushes the system other than GTA5 but that's running fine, but it did before so meh!

Not very useful help I'm sure.

I would just test it if you can, you can always DSR it in 14 days.

Associate
I've pulled the trigger on the TN version of the panel so I can do a comparison between the IPS and TN versions as however much of a nice monitor the IPS is, if I'm not 110% happy with it then I can't justify the £600 price tag. Just hoping I don't notice the ghosting on the TN version as much. I've tried messing with the settings on the IPS but nothing I do has improved the ghosting in FPSs - even the OD (OverDrive) setting doesn't appear to make any difference between Off, Normal and Extrmeme Settings both with and without implementing G-Sync... Tried the ULMB Mode @ 120hz but that made no difference either...

Associate
I've pulled the trigger on the TN version of the panel so I can do a comparison between the IPS and TN versions as however much of a nice monitor the IPS is, if I'm not 110% happy with it then I can't justify the £600 price tag. Just hoping I don't notice the ghosting on the TN version as much. I've tried messing with the settings on the IPS but nothing I do has improved the ghosting in FPSs - even the OD (OverDrive) setting doesn't appear to make any difference between Off, Normal and Extrmeme Settings both with and without implementing G-Sync... Tried the ULMB Mode @ 120hz but that made no difference either...

Honestly, From what i read. The acer is the worst when compared to the dell and the asus pg278qr. Not the best overdrive. Colors are more awful even tho they the shame panel. And apparently 1440p doesn't look amazing on that monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOd13rGlp94 if you skip to 23:34 and watch the last 10min of video, You will see a a lot of reasons why not to keep it.

Also you gonna notice the antiglare coating on this monitor compared to a IPS. The only Tn monitor to use the same coating as IPS is the dell s2716dg. The asus pg278qr is better if can live with the coating. Using it myself. I also used the pg279q which has better picture quality and looked much sharper. Think this is due to the antiglare coating tho. To me, IPS is better and i notice the better contrast on IPS. but TN fills more responsive to me.

Your prob better off waiting for the new quantum dot monitors if you want 1440p with good colours on a tn panel. The asus rog swift PG27VQ.

Associate
I upgraded to the TN version with gsync and it's been the most underwhelming thing Ive bought for my pc in ages. One of the most expensive too.

Honestly, From what i read. The acer is the worst when compared to the dell and the asus pg278qr. Not the best overdrive. Colors are more awful even tho they the shame panel. And apparently 1440p doesn't look amazing on that monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOd13rGlp94 if you skip to 23:34 and watch the last 10min of video, You will see a a lot of reasons why not to keep it.

Also you gonna notice the antiglare coating on this monitor compared to a IPS. The only Tn monitor to use the same coating as IPS is the dell s2716dg. The asus pg278qr is better if can live with the coating. Using it myself. I also used the pg279q which has better picture quality and looked much sharper. Think this is due to the antiglare coating tho. To me, IPS is better and i notice the better contrast on IPS. but TN fills more responsive to me.

Your prob better off waiting for the new quantum dot monitors if you want 1440p with good colours on a tn panel. The asus rog swift PG27VQ.

Appreciate the input guys - The TN arrived the other day and my thoughts:

- Initial impressions were that it looked OK out of the box, no dead pixels
- I didn't mind the difference in colour reproduction to IPS (IPS deffo had colours 'pop' and had vibrance but I couldn't see how it would justify £100 over the TN model - dunno if being red/green colourblind impacts on this at all?)
- Viewing angles were fine for me - I sit in front of the monitor and don't move my head about so the 'poor viewing angles' is a moot point as far as I am concerned
- The ghosting was pretty much the same for me as per the IPS model - I just don't know if I am doing something wrong with the settings or suchlike (144hz, GSync On, OD Normal (genuinely can't tell the difference between Off, Normal and Extreme!) Game Mode Off,Nvidia Panel Global Vsync On, Vsync Off in-game)

I was 90% happy with the IPS version of the panel and I would say I'm 90% happy with the TN version - it holds up against the IPS in my opinion and saving £100 off the cost is a plus BUT I'm now wondering if I should consider a different brand and try something else as for £500-£600 I would like to have an 'OMGWTFBBQSAUCE' and as it stands I suppose underwhelmed just about sums it up nicely. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice monitor BUT I'm certainly not blown away which is what I was hoping from coming from a 24" 60hz BenQ!!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for upto £600 27" 144hz (G Sync optional) TN Panels? That Dell S2716DG seems to have promising reviews but then so did the Acer Predators..... The ASUS PG27VQ looks interesting for sure but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna be in my price range when it finally gets released in Q3!

Associate
To be honest, I'm kinda against paying an extra £100 for the ASUS TN when it's the same panel as the Acer and it looks like you're only paying extra for the branding?

I have the asus pg278qr. If you can get past the grainy antiglare coating which would be the same as the acer TN. its a good monitor. The pg278q was known for having pixel overshoot problems which is fixed on this monitor. This monitor also has its own gamma settings. 1.8 2.2 and 2.5.
2.2 is meant to be best, But i like to use 2.5 on desktop. Looks more like ips with less washed out colours. Also has dark boost and adaptive contrast control which ain't a big deal but nice to have has a bonus.

Id say your choice would come down to the dell S2716DG which has the same antiglare coating as all ips monitors or the asus pg278qr. Or wait a few months for the ASUS PG27VQ. Im guessing it would cost around £650 when you consider how much the pg278qr and pg279q is priced at. Also acer and other brands like AOC will prob use the same panel as the PG27VQ while being cheaper.

Also don't think that the acer panel would be the same on the asus or dell etc. Many things can effect colours etc. In this review the guy says he thinks the asus is the best even tho he prefers the dell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUPPjjfmRw&t=4s.
I went for the rog because i like the looks and the joystick menu control. And the OSD gamma options. Tho i will say that the pg279q appeared to be more sharper and give better image clarity. But i could notice the slower response time and ghosting. Prob because i played to much bf4 at the time with very aggressive infinity playstyle gunning down groups of players :p

If it was me, Id hold off on buying a monitor until the ASUS PG27VQ gets released. Unless you really need a monitor now. What monitor was you using before you decided to upgrade?

Associate
I have the asus pg278qr. If you can get past the grainy antiglare coating which would be the same as the acer TN. its a good monitor. The pg278q was known for having pixel overshoot problems which is fixed on this monitor. This monitor also has its own gamma settings. 1.8 2.2 and 2.5.
2.2 is meant to be best, But i like to use 2.5 on desktop. Looks more like ips with less washed out colours. Also has dark boost and adaptive contrast control which ain't a big deal but nice to have has a bonus.

Id say your choice would come down to the dell S2716DG which has the same antiglare coating as all ips monitors or the asus pg278qr. Or wait a few months for the ASUS PG27VQ. Im guessing it would cost around £650 when you consider how much the pg278qr and pg279q is priced at. Also acer and other brands like AOC will prob use the same panel as the PG27VQ while being cheaper.

Also don't think that the acer panel would be the same on the asus or dell etc. Many things can effect colours etc. In this review the guy says he thinks the asus is the best even tho he prefers the dell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUPPjjfmRw&t=4s.
I went for the rog because i like the looks and the joystick menu control. And the OSD gamma options. Tho i will say that the pg279q appeared to be more sharper and give better image clarity. But i could notice the slower response time and ghosting. Prob because i played to much bf4 at the time with very aggressive infinity playstyle gunning down groups of players :p

If it was me, Id hold off on buying a monitor until the ASUS PG27VQ gets released. Unless you really need a monitor now. What monitor was you using before you decided to upgrade?

I built the rig in my sig just the other week and was looking for a monitor upgrade as well. I'm coming from a 24" BenQ 60hz TN panel that cost £120 about 3 years ago lol! The previous monitor to that used to be a Dell 2405fw or suchlike and that was the one which blew me away all those years ago and was hoping for a similar reaction to the Acer predator....

Back
Top Bottom