*** WWDC 2017 : 5th - 9th June ***

Soldato
Got my iMac…just a bit more powerful than my previous machine.

Screen_Shot_2017-06-14_at_14.36.26.png

Associate
@tsinc80697 which spec did you go for? SSD or Fusion? Max the iMac out? I was after a MacBook Pro 15 for ages as I have only ever had a laptop but since WWDC I have been wanting to get the 27 iMac for the desktop experience and get an iPad for any mobile tasks.

Soldato
I went for:
  • 4.2Ghz i7
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2TB Fusion Drive (128GB FLASH)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 580
The RAM is upgradable via a slot on the back. The HDD is pretty quick so far, can't say I've noticed any drop in performance from my MBA SSD.

I need a laptop when I'm working on-site but if I bought a new MBP then I'd want a new display for home use as my Thunderbolt display is not retina. Speccing the MBP and decent display up came to over £3.5k! if Apple had Target Display Mode working on the new iMac's I'd sell my Macbook Air and get a new MBP but it looks like TDM isn't enabled :(

Associate
I went for:
  • 4.2Ghz i7
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2TB Fusion Drive (128GB FLASH)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 580
The RAM is upgradable via a slot on the back. The HDD is pretty quick so far, can't say I've noticed any drop in performance from my MBA SSD.

I need a laptop when I'm working on-site but if I bought a new MBP then I'd want a new display for home use as my Thunderbolt display is not retina. Speccing the MBP and decent display up came to over £3.5k! if Apple had Target Display Mode working on the new iMac's I'd sell my Macbook Air and get a new MBP but it looks like TDM isn't enabled :(

That is the sort spec I was looking at but contemplating swapping the 2TB Fusion Drive with a 512 SSD and getting RAM later down the line. Are the Fusion drives as quick as SSD drives that read/write at 500 odd? I sold my 2009 MacBook Pro recently and was looking into a new setup and liking the idea of an iMac and iPad 10.5 for non critical tasks. iOS 11 does bring some decent features to hopefully make the iPad more usable as a traditional laptop.

Soldato
The SSD will definitely be quicker, but I've not noticed any drop in performance over last 24 hours. But I was coming from a 4 year old MBA that was constantly fighting to HDD space as it was only 256GB SSD.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Well, you can't strictly try it yet unless you are a developer.
I did try it though on my 12.9 iPad Pro but lasted about 2 hours. There are quite a few odd bugs at present, as would be expected in a first beta.
Does look promising though.
I would wait until the first public beta is available as that should iron out the worst bugs, hopefully!

Man of Honour
UPS tried to deliver my new MBP 13" yesterday, a day early. Hopefully my housemate will be in today to get the redelivery. Had I have known I'd have worked from home the entire day rather than just the morning for another delivery.

Associate
UPS delivered my fully specced rMB. Wow.. its bloody tiny and the sound is amazing. Really enjoying the keyboard too.

Cant wait to use this all over the show. I wish AppleCare was a bit cheaper :'( dunno whether to get it for this.

Soldato
I went for a pro in the end as I wanted more ports. I'm not a fan of the supplied USB Type C cable, it's nowhere near as smooth and satisfying to plug in like the cable included with my Pixel XL. I have a spare so I might pack the apple one away and charge with that instead. The other thing is that you have the line up the connectors exactly but I suppose I'll get used to that.
The Pixel XL did switch to Fast Charging when plugged in on day one but it hasn't since moving to Mac OS 10.12.6, will have to look into that.

I only need one adapter at the moment, a Type C to Type A for my backup drive, one of those was also included with the Pixel.
It's very nice being apple to charge from any port and I'm enjoying the keyboard, I think my typing speed is faster on this over my old MBA. The touch bar looks pretty good too.

Man of Honour
Did the keyboard change between the 2016 Pro and the new one? I've got my new one now and the keyboard doesn't feel as nice. I also locked myself out of LastPass because one key in particular sticks quite a bit. I might book it in with Apple.

Also could not for the life of me get it restored using my TimeMachine backup, migration assistant just got stuck on 'loading backup' no matter what I tied.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Keyboard between 2016 and 2017 MBP is identical. That's super annoying that you've had these issues up front.

Man of Honour
Keyboard between 2016 and 2017 MBP is identical. That's super annoying that you've had these issues up front.
I was proper annoyed on Sunday when I was working on it. I had my previous MBP set up really well and had some VMs on it. Prior to returning it I ensured there was a full Time Machine backup done. I initially tried the restore at first turn on but I put in the encryption password wrong, and rather than tell me it was wrong, it just said there were no backups. I couldn't go back to put it in again, only select set up as new Mac. So I did that and tried migration assistant, stuck on loading backups. I then tried from recovery, but it told me it was backed up using a different hardware type so I can't do it from recovery console. Grr. I've never had such issues with Time Machine before.

I'm booked into Apple on Saturday morning to have the keyboard looked at. I'm hoping it's something they can sort in store.

Back
Top Bottom