Thinking of an upgrade to replace the bulk

Associate
Yes I understand the X-Pro1 suits your particular needs and as you say the RX1 is in a different size category. The above was really to indicate the size differences between the lenses and hopefully the chart produced at DPreview showing the weights of the comparable lenses will give the OP some food for thought. As I said, I really do think the OP needs to go to a decent Camera shop and try out some of the kit available.

Man of Honour
OP
Well I have my money so I've got some cash to reinvest. I really like the look of the Olympus e m5 mII but I'd want a good prime portrait lens and it's just too much money.

I'm having a dilemma. I've got a holiday in a couple of weeks and I want something for then - I am sorely tempted to buy something like a canon G5 or perhaps something all in one that's even cheaper and make do. I would cut away the bulk and that's the primary goal with two young kids in tow. I just don't want to be majorly disappointed after the D7000.

Soldato
For me the m4/3 v's APS-C crop debate come down to what lenses you plan to use, if your happy using short primes then I'd go the APSC route the mirrorless bodies like the XT-10 are significantly smaller than a dslr so you save the weight and bulk. If your planning to use zooms or anything over 50mm(ish) then I'd go m4/3 as the lenses will be significantly smaller.

Soldato
Well I have my money so I've got some cash to reinvest. I really like the look of the Olympus e m5 mII but I'd want a good prime portrait lens and it's just too much money.

I'm having a dilemma. I've got a holiday in a couple of weeks and I want something for then - I am sorely tempted to buy something like a canon G5 or perhaps something all in one that's even cheaper and make do. I would cut away the bulk and that's the primary goal with two young kids in tow. I just don't want to be majorly disappointed after the D7000.

Get yourself a second hand XT-10/XT-1 cheap kit zoom for general stuff the 16-50mm is great for touristy stuff and bung the rest of the money into a 23mm or 35mm prime depending on your preference.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks Ash, but I feel that is too big, and would put me in the same boat as I was in earlier. I've sort of narrowed it down to two smaller cameras. What do you think of either of these? Admittedly the Fuji XT-10 and X-T1 look great but with lenses they are out of reach for me, so I've ruled them out.

The first is the
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II

The second is the
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ100EB

Both are fairly comparable, both are small but powerful. I've owned both a Canon and a Panasonic before but I'm swaying towards the Lumix here. I'm not sure why, both are rated very highly on Dpreview.

Associate
The rx100 4 can be had on important for less than 600, as for the 2 you have picked I'd go with the panny, but I would try and handle both in a shop before buying

Back
Top Bottom