Tower block fire - london

Soldato
or alternatively stating a fact... the term often used is fire RETARDANT not proof

true, he is correct that anything will burn given the right circumstances, but this fire started in a single flat yes? so it follows that the blaze from only 1 flat was capable of propagating to the destruction of the entire building.

it may have been fire retardant, but not sufficiently so to save the lives. i'd wager the original concrete exterior, ugly as it may have been, would have prevented such propagation.

Soldato
The protesting is a shame. At least let the whole event be over first.

If my home was burnt down I wouldn't be protesting that someone home me. It's a sad state of affairs.

I was discussing this yesterday and regarding the smoke alarm issue. I know it's a landlord responsibility to ensure safety but if I were a tenant I'd still be sure my flat had functioning alarms. They're all adults, they're not incapable of looking after such trivial matters.

Are you serious? Household smoke alarms would have saved them? By the time the flat is filled with smoke from a fire raging elsewhere in the block and especially on the OUTSIDE of the building, it's already way way too late. Besides, those who called the emergency services were initially told to stay put.

Associate
The fact that nearly every multi-story housing contractors that use cladding are going around photographing all their cladding to show that there is the necessary fire breaks in place and building a portfolio shows that the cladding on this build was never installed to the regs. Its not about the cladding being fire-resistant (which obviously helps) but stopping the spread, which didn't happen in the slightest.

The death toll will continue to rise, going by the communities housed there its no stretch of the imagination to have 5-7 people stuffed in a flat, some living not so legally in some cases. With a fire like that I'm not even sure if there would be much remains left of some people.

Can see a lot of people rightly going to jail for this.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom