Tower block fire - london

Permabanned
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/875622209875726337/photo/1

This was avoidable - problem identified and dealt with in other countries. Identified not dealt with here - look at this BRE presentation:

DCbVwPOUIAE7YcK.jpg

Soldato
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4609334/Fireproof-cladding-Grenfell-cost-5k-more.html

Fireproof cladding that would have prevented Grenfell Tower tragedy 'would have cost just £5,000 extra' - and the cheap version that WAS used is BANNED in America

Perhaps it would help to realise that the Reynobond PE cladding as opposed to Reynobond FR cladding has a weight difference of 5.47 to 7.48 Kg/m2 (so the PE stuff is some 73% of the weight for the same area covered assuming the 4mm stuff could alternatively be used,,,,]

https://www.arconic.com/aap/north_america/catalog/pdf/brochures/Reynobond_Brochure.pdf

Perhaps the simple cost of the material itself isn't the only cost? Maybe the load would be too high with some alternatives?

Associate
Soldato
true, he is correct that anything will burn given the right circumstances, but this fire started in a single flat yes? so it follows that the blaze from only 1 flat was capable of propagating to the destruction of the entire building.

it may have been fire retardant, but not sufficiently so to save the lives. i'd wager the original concrete exterior, ugly as it may have been, would have prevented such propagation.

Which is pretty much what I'm saying too. The original concrete designed structure wouldn't have burnt so well. Fire retardand cladding is retardant until it reaches a temperature that it will burn. Why it did burn will be revealed in the investigation. Anything we say until then is just speculation.

Safe spaces are the thing?
Goodness me you're dull. Get over it.

Are you serious? Household smoke alarms would have saved them? By the time the flat is filled with smoke from a fire raging elsewhere in the block and especially on the OUTSIDE of the building, it's already way way too late. Besides, those who called the emergency services were initially told to stay put.

No, household alarms may or may not have saved them. However, many people on the news are crying out that they didn't hear any fire alarm, as if they are incapable of installing such things themselves. I guess all I'm saying is it irks me when people pipe up as if they're useless and can't do these simple things themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should probably read the BS/EN standards on cladding as there are systems in place that dont allow the left side/2nd picture "chimney" scenario. Trusting peoples word on the internet isn't the best on a system you have no clue on.

All that said, can you show a fire devastated tower block in the UK without cladding?

Associate
All that said, can you show a fire devastated tower block in the UK without cladding?

Why its clear the cladding in this case is the cause for this fire, no doubt. While the type of cladding used was a huge factor on the fast spread, fire breaks would have slowed it down(thats there purpose if they cant stop the blaze). The speed that it went up showed that there were either none or little and you got the chimney effect shown on the second picture.

Man of Honour
You should probably read the BS/EN standards on cladding as there are systems in place that dont allow the left side/2nd picture "chimney" scenario. Trusting peoples word on the internet isn't the best on a system you have no clue on.

True however the videos of the fire suggests something like that happened the way it would break out in one spot and then after 15 minutes or so flare up in another in a pattern.

Soldato
The protesting is a shame. At least let the whole event be over first.

If my home was burnt down I wouldn't be protesting that someone home me. It's a sad state of affairs.

I was discussing this yesterday and regarding the smoke alarm issue. I know it's a landlord responsibility to ensure safety but if I were a tenant I'd still be sure my flat had functioning alarms. They're all adults, they're not incapable of looking after such trivial matters.

Having lived in a similar building and attempting to imagine where I'd be at after this had happened possibly taking the lives of my closest family, I can't even begin to imagine where I'd be at. The above response is actually the sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom