Oculus Rift

Soldato
I have a day off tomorrow and my missus is away with the daughter so if anybody is about during the day feel free to hit me up for some VR action

Potentially worth setting up a VR channel on the OcUK discord? Like a waiting for a game lobby?

I'll only be around for a couple of hours around 4/5 tomorrow.

Good idea about the discord channel. :)

Associate
Soldato
I'd recommend this:

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

More comfortable than the standard Rift interface, and you can just wipe it down. Also comes with a washable cover if you want to use it, BTBH I don't bother with the cover.

That looks decent, does that material not get really sweaty though? The cover looks ideal for sorting that, which is the main appeal for me.

Too bloody hot for VR this weekend though. I think my face would have caught fire

Associate
That looks decent, does that material not get really sweaty though? The cover looks ideal for sorting that, which is the main appeal for me.

Too bloody hot for VR this weekend though. I think my face would have caught fire

Never had an issue with it - I find it better due to it not absorbing sweat (though I pretty much always use a fan anyway). The thing I hated with the original interface (or with a fabric cover) is that it could become a horrible damp sponge. With the plastic "leather" material, during a gaming session, you can just take the headset off, give it a quick wipe and put it back on without that absorbed sweat feeling.

The one I bought was the slightly more expensive one with the two different thickness pads (they just velcro on/off). The thick one gives you a bit more nose space, so more airflow, and probably an FOV similar to the original interface. The thinner pad is the one I generally use, as it gets your eyes slightly closer to the lenses, and personally give me a better FOV.

Yeah, it's too hot - not used my Rift all weekend. Still, it gave me an excuse to fire up the PS4 and finally finish The Last Guardian. Those aren't tears you can see btw - it's sweat, honest...

Associate
Interesting FlukeRogi, thanks. Do you find having the wipe down surface affects the lenses steaming up at all? I'd have thought it would trap more moisture and thus make it worse?

Associate
I've got the same interface as FlukeRogi and I've never had an issue with the lenses steaming up. I use the thin foam replacement as well and it's very comfortable, much better than the sweat bucket of the original Oculus one.

Associate
Interesting FlukeRogi, thanks. Do you find having the wipe down surface affects the lenses steaming up at all? I'd have thought it would trap more moisture and thus make it worse?

I find it less of a problem tbh, though it's probably due to the fit more than anything else. With the thicker pad especially, it's less of a problem due to it giving you more ventilation around your nose compared to the original interface (at least for me).

I must admit I've toyed with the idea of buying another one and drilling some holes in the top for ventilation, though I play in a room where I can easily keep it dark enough that light leakage is a non-issue.

All that aside, it's better purely due to it being way more comfortable than that horrible, sharp edge foam that comes with the Rift as standard.

Back
Top Bottom