New Biking Android App

Soldato
OP
Another update as I've added Auto Shows. Quite pleased with this, as I can edit the information on a file I host elsewhere and it parses each time you open.

I've thought for some time I would basically duplicate the app and make a couple of changes to make it a car app. As I think about it recently, I'm thinking to just make it an 'auto app', something like 'Auto Buddy' that is suitable for both car and bike. Any thoughts? Might I miss out of marketability with it being a specific bikers app?

Soldato
OP
Feel a little like I'm talking to myself now :) Tax due added, plus a few small tweaks. Had a friend install it and within 20 seconds of watching him I saw a few things I needed to change (like Reg entry in garage). I guess, as I know how things work, I just do that. It's good to see someone else 'struggle' almost, so I see what I need to change.

I'm feeling like I'm getting towards an actual release. Coming out of Beta. What do you guys think?

Associate
My friend and I have just downloaded the App on a Samsung S7 Edge running android 7.0.

In the garage section it would be good if the app could auto populate Mot and tax dates from the .gov website.

So far in the garage section the parts log is crashing every time we try and enter a data for a part.

Will post any updates. Friend is a biker and says he looks forward to the app as it has great potential.

Associate
My local is down in your Hot Spots as "Rykers Cafe", it's actually "Ryka's Cafe"! Just a little thing :D

I've started using the fuelling part of the app, seems to work well. Not encountered any other issues that I can remember.

Soldato
OP
Great, thanks for the comments guys.

In the garage section it would be good if the app could auto populate Mot and tax dates from the .gov website.

So far in the garage section the parts log is crashing every time we try and enter a data for a part.

I'm not sure you can get the info from the govt, not without paying anyway. I'll double check though.

That crash is a good find, thanks. None of that page is supposed to be editable. I've clearly left something in by mistake, so an easy fix. It gets the data there from your maintenance logs.

Soldato
OP
That's interesting? Is it a Samsung phone?

I don't have any services running that I know of, I don't ask for permissions to stop it sleeping etc.

Do you get it after you've been using the app for a while, or when you've not touched it?

Associate
Great, thanks for the comments guys.

I'm not sure you can get the info from the govt, not without paying anyway. I'll double check though.

That crash is a good find, thanks. None of that page is supposed to be editable. I've clearly left something in by mistake, so an easy fix. It gets the data there from your maintenance logs.

The info can be gained from www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk just needs a number plate.

Ah ok that makes sense for it to not be editable, glad we could help.

Soldato
That's interesting? Is it a Samsung phone?

I don't have any services running that I know of, I don't ask for permissions to stop it sleeping etc.

Do you get it after you've been using the app for a while, or when you've not touched it?

Yeah Samsung s7 edge, I've put the app to sleep now but if I open it and leave it running, it drains 1% every hour which isn't bad at all but I've had the warning twice now.

I'll see if I can get a screenshot of the info.

Soldato
OP
The info can be gained from www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk just needs a number plate.

Yes, but if there's no API, I can't 'tap in' to their database. I'm reasonably sure I checked for this as I wanted the user to enter their reg and it populate all of their bike details too. It would be around 10p per check, which I know doesn't sound a lot, but it would likely mean I am paying for people to use my app :(

One option would be to make a 'Pro' version, which did this for the user, but the app would need to be £1.99 or so and even then I might need some kind of 'look up limit' otherwise it could get abused.

Yeah Samsung s7 edge, I've put the app to sleep now but if I open it and leave it running, it drains 1% every hour which isn't bad at all but I've had the warning twice now.

I'll see if I can get a screenshot of the info.

Thanks. I honestly don't know why it would do this and I'm not entirely sure how I can troubleshoot that yet. I'll have to look in to it. The app doesn't do anything automated, so when you're not using it yourself, it wont be doing anything. I have had phones in the past (I think Samsungs, hence why I asked) that have given me that warning, from what I could tell, because I was using the app! Well, yes, it will use battery then!

Would be great, whatever info you can get for me to investigate. Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I've just been looking through my own battery as it was quite low and BBF was 7% of it. Looking in that, it looks like it keeps the GPS awake, maybe checking for weather? I'll delve in to it when I get a chance. I'll try and at least set up an option to turn of weather updates tomorrow and we can see if that helps :) Thanks for another bug found!

Soldato
OP
I've made some changes to the location listener. I've also added Settings in finally. You can set how many minutes it will wait before checking location (I think!) so this will hopefully help.

It's odd, in the app manifest, I don't ask for a wake_lock permission, but it's listed in the store permissions? I can only assume once you use the location listerner in the app, it tries to keep using it. I will continue to look into it, but hopefully setting a time and distance (I think I set 1km) minimum before it checks again, will help.

I've just submitted the update, but got an email from Google saying my app didn't have a content rating... which it does. I did the rating again. It looks like the update is going through still, but I'd really appreciate if someone can post if they get the update this morning/today. You'll know its today's update as it allows you into settings. Thanks!

Clovis, if you get it, please let me know if it helps your issue. Thanks.

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

You're welcome. Can I ask what version of Android you're on? Once it's given permission, it shouldn't ask again as far as I know.

Hi, it's Android 6.0 (Marshmallow I think). Mind you, this is an Elephone p9000....so it's probably not the best phone to be testing anything on!!

Soldato
OP
I've decided to go for an actual v1.0 release. Maybe it's because I'm a little impatient, but I don't seem to be getting many crash reports through now, so I think it's fairly stable and most of the features I want are implemented.

There are a few bits I still want to do (like themes and backing up data) but they can still be added when I learn more.

On the app data bit, it should carry over to any new phone, once you log in to your Google Account. I don't have a spare phone to check at the moment, but if I uninstall and install again, the data is all there. If anyone can confirm across devices, that would be great.

**EDIT** Oh, and if anyone fancies leaving me a nice review in the Play Store, that would be greatly appreciated. If you don't like it, please post and let me know why... maybe I can make changes for you :)

Back
Top Bottom