Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
I think the reason they recommend SH3 for the higher end packages is they support 20-24 downstream channels so you're less likely to be impacted by over-utilisation.

Associate
Superhub 3 is awful for latency/gaming:

VABwVCJ.png

Red line is when I rang to re-activate the SH 2 AC and this is just the SH 2AC:

ur2W8WW.png

I highly recommend getting a decent 3rd party router and pairing it with the SH 2AC if you can though:

9cntPwv.png

S2WsbJa.png

The big spikes are when downloading/uploading.

Some speed tests throughout the day:

aN9sck1.png

The 145MB reading was when I was maxing out my download on a torrent.
what software do u use to monitor your connection like that????

Associate
here is my latest activity

11vtik7.jpg

Caporegime
You need to enable ICMP echo request from WAN under your router settings.

This may be due to firewall settings or because your IP address has changed. If you have a firewall, ensure that it allows ICMP ping. You will also see 100% packet loss if the address we are monitoring is disconnected from the Internet. You can find out how to configure your router or firewall using our router setup guides.

Associate
Is the SH in modem only mode?

If so - then yes the DLINK needs to be told to reply to ping requests.
yes its in modem only mode, the wifi signals are turned off and the only way i can connect to the sh2 is if i connect pc direct to the sh2 via wire.

i dont appear to have the option icmp echo in my routers settings ( dlink dir 879 ) perhaps its called something else.

i assume this is why i cant connect to certain websites??

Soldato
Try this: Advanced Tab-->Advanced Network Page--> WAN Ping

This won't have anything to do with why you can't connect to certain websites, what websites? What symptoms?

Associate
i only have options for the following

enable DNS relay ( enabled )
DHCP server always broadcast ( disabled )
UPnP ( enabled )
WAN port speed ( auto )
IPv4 multicast streams ( disabled )
IPv6 multicast streams ( disabled )
and thats about your lot

Soldato
Looking at the manual it doesn't look like they give you an option which is a bit rubbish, you might be able to create an ipv4 rule for icmp, although again, looking at the manual it only seems to allow tcp/udp which is naff.

So.... i don't think you can?

Associate
Looking at the manual it doesn't look like they give you an option which is a bit rubbish, you might be able to create an ipv4 rule for icmp, although again, looking at the manual it only seems to allow tcp/udp which is naff.

So.... i don't think you can?
i was beginning to think that myself. its been working fine i just thought i would see how my connection looked so i guess thats out the window

Associate
So I just rang up and switched my Hub 3 back to my Hub 2, still on the gamer package but I too cannot see to get the ping issue sorted via Thinkbroadband, did any one have a fix for it?

Back
Top Bottom