Pic Of The Day 19th August 2004

Soldato
Todays pic is another of those that is an interesting expression of the chaos that surrounds in space. A picture that is by no means what we would normally imagine when we hear the word galaxy.

web_print.jpg

As usual with images from The Hubble Space Telescope, a full text article, and a good collection of higher resolution images can be found here. The highest resolution images (10MB Jpeg/25MB Tiff) are spectacular.

The Lure of the Rings

Resembling a diamond-encrusted bracelet, a ring of brilliant blue star clusters wraps around the yellowish nucleus of what was once a normal spiral galaxy in this new image from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope (HST). This image is being released to commemorate the 14th anniversary of Hubble's launch on April 24, 1990 and its deployment from the space shuttle Discovery on April 25, 1990. The galaxy, cataloged as AM 0644-741, is a member of the class of so-called "ring galaxies." It lies 300 million light-years away in the direction of the southern constellation Volans.

Image Credit: NASA, ESA, and The Hubble Heritage Team (AURA/STScI)

Acknowledgment: J. Higdon (Cornell U.) and I. Jordan (STScI)

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

12th August 2004 Courtesy of Sir Ulli
20th July 2004
17th July 2004

[edit]Poor use of punctuation.[/edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Originally posted by TheTross

And on my birthday as well, perfectly timed :)

Happy Birthday s'ah. :)

VirtualAdept is slacking today obviously, he normally does all the birthday posts.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
NICE!!!

CLass piccy mate :)

Kinda reminds me of that charity things, where the coin rolls around the edge and then eventually falls down the hole in the middle :)

But then again, some people do tell me I have an active imagination :p

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the positive responses people. :)

Originally posted by Bundles

most people do tell me I have a really over-active imagination like a 2 year old

Nah, tis not true matey. It's more like a 3 year old tbh. ;):p:D

Wise Guy
Soldato
Originally posted by Markjcj
Cheers for the positive responses people. :)

Nah, tis not true matey. It's more like a 3 year old tbh.

Now I've told you billions upon billions of times not to exaggerate, and no doubt I'll have to tell you billions upon billions of times more ;)

:D

Back
Top Bottom