What does an eye 'nerve response test' entail?

I know we can't discuss diagnosis or prognosis (against the forum rules). It's more in that - how does this procedure take place? The doctor said that it involves electrodes attached to my head and they send shocks through it. Sounds a bit scary, so I'm interested if anyone on here has taken this test? Hope they don't inject any dyes like in an MRI scan as I hate needles!

Background: I have sight in 1 eye only with a -27 lens (so very weak vision). Ophthalmology today tested my eye pressure which was borderline high, so have been referred to neurology and they will carry out the test. Prolonged high eye pressure can cause damaged optic nerve.

Caporegime
I know we can't discuss diagnosis or prognosis (against the forum rules). It's more in that - how does this procedure take place? The doctor said that it involves electrodes attached to my head and they send shocks through it. Sounds a bit scary, so I'm interested if anyone on here has taken this test? Hope they don't inject any dyes like in an MRI scan as I hate needles!

Background: I have sight in 1 eye only with a -27 lens (so very weak vision). Ophthalmology today tested my eye pressure which was borderline high, so have been referred to neurology and they will carry out the test. Prolonged high eye pressure can cause damaged optic nerve.
Wouldn't your doctor have been a good person to ask for more information? You might be able to call a nurse at the GP you use and ask her to quickly take you through what it entails or does the UK not have nurses in practices anymore? (Genuine question - I don't know).

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, especially Tefal with the link. Doesn't sound too bad then implementation wise.

@ NoobCanon - about needles in the eye, you might be referring to cataracts. A relative of mine has cataracts and he had to undergo a course of injections directly in the eye. I would want to be asleep under general anaesthetic if that happened to me!

Associate
Thanks guys, especially Tefal with the link. Doesn't sound too bad then implementation wise.

@ NoobCanon - about needles in the eye, you might be referring to cataracts. A relative of mine has cataracts and he had to undergo a course of injections directly in the eye. I would want to be asleep under general anaesthetic if that happened to me!

A woman I know has something with her eyes (forgotten the name) where she has to have injections into her eye once a fortnight or so or very high chance of going blind.
Don't put her under, she just has to stay still & not move her eyes whilst they do it. I presume has a local, not sure.
Damned sure I'd have to nope out of that.

Soldato
OP
Associate
:rolleyes:

Guys, yes we all troll sometimes in GD. I do too. This isn't one of those threads though.

You're not the ones having to take the test in the OP or about to potentially lose what's left of your eyesight. I was after other people's experiences of the test.

Difficult to be sure given the description, but sounds like simple nerve function test (it isn't painful), though, it could also be visual field test (dependent on how much sight you have) or simple ophalmoscopy (examination with an opthalmascope at the optic nerve at the back of your eye - well the part they can see). The other things will be a tonometry (which will acurately measure the preassure in your eye).

glaucoma diagnosis can take time as there are several different types depending on the causes. high pressure is only one factor. People can have damage from even the low end of normal eye pressure range, and others cane have no damage despite having raised preassure for prolonged periods.

There are several others tests which i haven't mentioned but none of them will be painful (There probably isn't any eye test that i haven't had, or procedure come to that!). If i can help just pm me.

Mods: I hope this doesn't cross the line too much, but i thought it might be helpful. Just delete it if it does.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Andy. I don't think you've broken the 'medical posts' rule as you only mentioned one of the causes and not actually diagnosing anything.

I will be taking the visual field test too but that will be a separate appointment and I've had field tests before so nothing to worry about there. I will be taking the test in the OP too to which will be in a different hospital.

Associate
Ive had a couple of eye test for optic neuritis(sp). They stick a couple of electrodes on your head & you sit very still looking at a picture on a screen. As the image changes they measure the time it takes for the eye to send that change down the optic nerve.

Associate
A woman I know has something with her eyes (forgotten the name) where she has to have injections into her eye once a fortnight or so or very high chance of going blind.
Don't put her under, she just has to stay still & not move her eyes whilst they do it. I presume has a local, not sure.

I've had this done a few times - following glaucoma surgery where a trench is cut in the eye. It can heal over, blister, or "bleb", and they have to "needle the bleb" to reopen things. Also sometimes with cataract surgery (I've had both natural lenses replaced due to glaucoma) they have to inject a local into the side of the eye. Very unpleasant experience.

http://www.glaucoma.org/q-a/what-is-meant-by-bleb-needling.php

Associate
I've had this done a few times - following glaucoma surgery where a trench is cut in the eye. It can heal over, blister, or "bleb", and they have to "needle the bleb" to reopen things. Also sometimes with cataract surgery (I've had both natural lenses replaced due to glaucoma) they have to inject a local into the side of the eye. Very unpleasant experience.

I can imagine. I'm trying not to though ;)
Years ago worked somewhere stupidly dusty, so bought some eye drop cleaning fluid.
I couldn't even use those without closing my eyes, someone I knew used to have to do it for me. :rolleyes:

Associate

Sounds like Wet Maculer degeneration. I wouldn't like to have an injection in the eye, although, it probably isn't any worse than having stitches removed without anesthetic (after corneal graft). The trick though is to relax, in my experience worrying about things and becoming anxious increases pain sensitivity and just make the experience worse.

http://www.glaucoma.org/q-a/what-is-meant-by-bleb-needling.php

I've not had that procedure, i've only had cyclodiode laser (twice), and need another round though i've been putting it off for various reasons. I've had cateract surgery too, although i was too young to remember it (congenital cateracts).

Associate
Sounds like Wet Maculer degeneration. I wouldn't like to have an injection in the eye, although, it probably isn't any worse than having stitches removed without anesthetic (after corneal graft). The trick though is to relax, in my experience worrying about things and becoming anxious increases pain sensitivity and just make the experience worse.

I've not had that procedure, i've only had cyclodiode laser (twice), and need another round though i've been putting it off for various reasons. I've had cateract surgery too, although i was too young to remember it (congenital cateracts).

Yes I've had the laser about 5 times, 3 trabeculectomies, both lenses removed, and had a Xen implant put in the right eye, and last operation was an ahmed implant in the left eye... Unfortunately I now know more about the eyes than I ever wanted to :) Hope yours works out alright!!

Back
Top Bottom