Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Have you enabled "WAN Ping Respond" ?

All the TBB monitor does, is ping your external ip, if your router does not allow this or you have not enabled it, then you will get a solid red graph.

If you have a dynamic IP and the IP address changes, you will have to update/recreate the TVV monitor graph to reflect the change.

Associate

All the TBB monitor does, is ping your external ip, if your router does not allow this or you have not enabled it, then you will get a solid red graph.

If you have a dynamic IP and the IP address changes, you will have to update/recreate the TVV monitor graph to reflect the change.
unfortunately my router does not support WAN ping respond

Associate
After finally getting my system set up once again after recent house rennovations, I played some PUBG and Overwatch last night; and despite my ping chart being terrible, the experience was...fine. Not a single hitch that I could tell. All in all I played for 2-3 hours, so I'd have thought there would be something in that time. I'll obviously give it a bit more time and testing; perhaps it's just me? :confused:

Associate

Where would this be located?

Soldato
If the superhub is in modem mode then you will need to do it on the other router as the superhub is transparen in modem mode, if there is an option at all, you may have to create an ICMP firewall rule to allow from anywhere.

Soldato
ah i was getting confused there.

my router has no such option and the firewall part lost me:confused:

What router is it?

ICMP is just the fancy name for ping, you may be able to create a custom firewall rule to allow ICMP from anywhere, which is the equivalent of enabling "wan ping respond" on the virgin superhub.

edit: haven't we already been through this? Your router doesn't support it.

Man of Honour
Then may I suggest that before you shell out £150 on a new router you make sure it has the features you want. Not having a way of configuring echo response on an interface is pretty poor, especially considering the price.

Permabanned
I don't see what the whole "ping" issue is. Anything below 30ms is perfectly fine in todays gaming.

I with VM, get an average ping of around 18-21ms and have no issues.

It's not just about gaming... just general surfing the internet and other things will be much faster on an 80mbit connection with 5ms ping vs a 1gbit connection with 30ms ping. Only large files will swing it the other way.

Soldato
I find it hard to believe you've found a router that doesn't have an option to enable ping. That can break several internet things. Even the cut-down-to-make-it-easy-to-support-and-hard-for-customers-to-mess-up Superhub can do it.

Permabanned
Ill certainly be reviewing it but im sure they wouldn't advertise lower pings on air fibre over fttp if it wasn't the case.

Air fibre is a little slower than fttp, but not by a huge amount.

Think 1-2ms for FTTP
Then 3-10ms for air fibre, depending on range and any potential interference.

My FTTP is still showing an incredibly stable connection:

Back
Top Bottom