• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 ti overheating

Soldato
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-oc-review,1.html

I bought this MSI OC model 2nd hand and gaming at 1080p 144hz gets the temps up to 85c+. It reached 89 last night at which point I powered down. Today I've been gaming at 100hz and it tops off at 84c.

The heatsink is only about 12 mm thick. I don't think it's particularly efficient.

I could re-sit the cooler, if so would I be putting the paste under all those thermal pads? Maybe replacing the pads? If I were to change the cooler, any better suggestions? I have case fans blasting in and no problem with cpu temps.

Thanks for any help

Edit: I eventually went with: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-high-performance-vga-cooler-hs-027-rt.html , installed two 120mm fans and temps at previous specs maxed at 55c. Overclocked to 1475/3700 it maxes at 61c. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
It's likely a mix of the current warm weather, affecting ambient temps, and it needing a little MOT. Take it apart, clean off the old paste and re-apply some fresh stuff. Also check there aren't any hairs or dust around the fans, just for good measure. I'd bet that it helps a ton.

Soldato
I have the same card as you and I don't have these issues. I have a good modded case with 4 intake fans (2 of which are on my rad for the H100 cpu cooler) and 1 rear extract fan. While playing BF1 I set my GPU fans to 95% via afterburner software and play. I use headphones so noise isn't an issue for me. With 95% fan use my temps are in the low 80's after an hour of playing BF1. With my fan profile set to auto, my temps get to mid 80's but sounds a little whoosh due to ramping up the revs to stay in a profile range.

Associate
Soldato
You're powering off at 89c? Filthy casual! mine hovers at around 92c in PUBG and those are 4-5 hour sessions. :D

As mentioned, 980ti's are hot and power hungry.

Soldato
no 980ti should go above 85 degrees unless your airflow is horrid. Having the worst cooled one of all the reference and that did around 85 degrees. So either the case flow is bad and/or the paste needs replacing.

Associate
For information my 980Ti currently is sitting at 83c when mining for periods of 12-24 hours at the moment, primarily due to the hot weather I think - Never noticed it that hot before so could be wrong.

Associate
I have a MSI gaming 980TI but it was too loud for me. I got a prolimatech MK26 cooler and have clipped 2 140mm fans to it that I cant hear now, even when they are at 80% If idles low 20's and never goes above 50 degrees now. Its got a +250 overclock on the core too so that's a option for you. It is BIG though...

Soldato
OP
Finally doing this.
no 980ti should go above 85 degrees unless your airflow is horrid. Having the worst cooled one of all the reference and that did around 85 degrees. So either the case flow is bad and/or the paste needs replacing.
I have two sys fan pins on this Gigabyte AB350M, one is used near the top of the front of the case since the bottom of the front is blocked with HD slots. The other is on the case side blasting air to the gpu. Both are at 100% in gaming. The other case fans (3 of them) join onto the psu and run at about half speed always, this includes the exhaust fan which obviously isn't great but with many vents in the case for air too escape, I don't think case cooling is a problem.

You're powering off at 89c? Filthy casual! mine hovers at around 92c in PUBG and those are 4-5 hour sessions. :D

As mentioned, 980ti's are hot and power hungry.
Before I disassemble this; note I ran Heaven at max specs and got 93.5 fps on the 1st try and 90.5 fps on the next two tries. The latter two tries we're both started at 77c and no test topped 81c, so there is throttling somewhere even at those temps.

Soldato
OP
I re-sat the cooler with some Arctic MX4 . The temps haven't changed at all, maxing at 81c, however it takes significantly longer to reach that temp. Heaven also now consistently gets 92 fps instead of 90.5.

So the paste looks to be working but the cooler is still the problem.

Don't forget it's really hot at the moment, even in the evenings. I would re-apply some artic silver 5 as the heatsink may not be sitting correctly and it's better than the standard paste. If that does nothing then use a really good 3rd party cooler like:

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1672 or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-high-performance-vga-cooler-hs-027-rt.html.

I'm going to go with this 2nd option thanks, I'll post an update when it's running.

Soldato
OP
For those who are interested I just installed the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-high-performance-vga-cooler-hs-027-rt.html

The included fan clips eventually let me clip on two 120mm fans with some cardboard and tape to help things along :(

The temps are fantastic, at previous specs I maxed at 55c and after overclocking to 1475/3700 the temps max at 61c and I'm getting 97 fps on Heaven. This is with the 120mm low noise fans at 75%, still quiet.

Thanks to ocuk for being the only UK store to stock this cooler and for free delivery :cool:

Back
Top Bottom