Speed camera detectors, does anyone bother?

Man of Honour
Hi guys

Does anyone have one? And are they worth it?

I've been looking at a road angle gem+ deluxe or a snooper myspeed xl

Any advise on these devices?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Standard OcUK response: You don't need one because you won't speed, you child-killing child killer!
Just drive 32 mph everywhere, problem solved!

Soldato
My built in satnav beeps when approaching known/fixed ones, but I don't have an actual radar detector. I think they can throw up a lot of false positives and get annoying.

Best way is probably something like waze maps, which is "real time" and people will mark cameras etc on the map as they spot them.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks I'm not bothered about fixed speed cameras, most fixed speed cameras are in reasonable locations where I wouldnt speed anyway

It's the mobile speed trap vans that are really getting on my nerves, they always park on huge wide roads which are 30 to 50 zones but they know people always drive a little bit faster

Doing 70mph on an empty motorway in a 3 series feels like your not even moving but Scotland still have traps vans on M74

Sgarrista
Commissario
Long and short is unless you have a jammer, a detector is useless.

And given people are being sent to jail or having suspended sentences for jammers, basically, its better to take the fine and points, if you are intending on speeding. All I would say is get a reliable GPS speedo, so you can stick to "sensible" over the limit speeds that wont bang you up with a ban.

Man of Honour
We just get them on NSL roads, on the straight bits where you can really safely overtake if you go a bit over the limit, or just about overtake if you don't go over 60 and the vehicle you're passing is doing < 45.

Man of Honour
I think they can throw up a lot of false positives and get annoying.

Don't really know anyone that uses them in this country but when abroad I've been in cars with people who use them and false positives were low to close to non-existent.

Soldato
Don't really know anyone that uses them in this country but when abroad I've been in cars with people who use them and false positives were low to close to non-existent.

Common here due to how close shop automatic doors are and also on same frequency in England. My Valentine V1 was constantly giving false positives. Ended up selling to a Belgian.

Back
Top Bottom