Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Honestly, if I were the Tories right now, love of my country aside, I'd be inclined to just tell the DUP they'd pushed too far, hang it all and let the country have another election. The Tories would probably lose and then no longer have to pilot this country through terrible mess it is in for the next two terms. The only thing stopping me from saying "You want chaos, fine - call me in eight years time when you realised how much you ****** up" would be knowing what Labour would do to this country that I could prevent.

Man of Honour
DUP deal is going to collapse. Gonna check odds of Jezza being PM.

I can't see it - if the grounds aren't there for a Tory government the case for a Labour one would be even less effective - I can't imagine the Tories doing anything other than spitefully voting against everything and it would become even more chaos. The only way I could see anything like that unfolding would be a Con/Lab coalition.

Soldato
Honestly, if I were the Tories right now, love of my country aside, I'd be inclined to just tell the DUP they'd pushed too far, hang it all and let the country have another election. The Tories would probably lose and then no longer have to pilot this country through terrible mess it is in for the next two terms. The only thing stopping me from saying "You want chaos, fine - call me in eight years time when you realised how much you ****** up" would be knowing what Labour would do to this country that I could prevent.

Every single mess that the country is currently experiencing is down to the Tories. It's been 7 years since Labour were in charge and it's arguable as to whether the Tories would have handled a global financial crash on their watch any better. I'd have far more respect for them if they just held their hands up and admitted that they've made an absolute hash of things.

Soldato
Every single mess that the country is currently experiencing is down to the Tories.

Tony Blair pushed the UK into war. It was his government that produced disinformation campaigns and lies about 45 minute WMD attacks. Cost of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to the UK is over £30bn with potentially £20bn more to come. That's approximately the £50bn in Austerity cuts that Osbourne planned for by 2019. Plus we're still dealing with the political consequences and maybe always will.

Blair's New Labour also led the way in privatising the NHS behind the scenes. I know - I worked in the NHS during the last Labour government. You can't make outrageous claims that everything wrong in this country is lain at the Tories door and none at Labours' and expect people to accept that.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I can't see it - if the grounds aren't there for a Tory government the case for a Labour one would be even less effective - I can't imagine the Tories doing anything other than spitefully voting against everything and it would become even more chaos. The only way I could see anything like that unfolding would be a Con/Lab coalition.

Corbyn would never work with the Conservatives, he wouldn't even share a platform during the EU referendum. Considering who he has shared platforms with that is saying something.

Soldato
If no-one can form a working government, we'll need to go to the polls again. Of course, JC might still not be the next PM, even assuming Labour win a fresh GE, as Tories would install a new leader before an election.

Caporegime
I love that Sturgeon has basically chucked a massive knife into the DUP with the free abortion thing, hopefully it rubs them in a truly abrasive manner.

Soldato
Tony Blair pushed the UK into war. It was his government that produced disinformation campaigns and lies about 45 minute WMD attacks. Cost of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to the UK is over £30bn with potentially £20bn more to come. That's approximately the £50bn in Austerity cuts that Osbourne planned for by 2019. Plus we're still dealing with the political consequences and maybe always will.

Blair's New Labour also led the way in privatising the NHS behind the scenes. I know - I worked in the NHS during the last Labour government. You can't make outrageous claims that everything wrong in this country is lain at the Tories door and none at Labours' and expect people to accept that.

You're telling me the Tories couldn't have reversed what happened to the NHS under New Labour? It's been 7 years, the buck stops with them now.

Soldato
So the DUP are going to vote against the Queen's speech tomorrow when there's a slight hint of getting some power/sway on proceedings within Parliament? Ha, no chance - they'll fall in line as expected. If not, then yea, bring on the next GE and the rise of the comrades.

Soldato
Honestly, if I were the Tories right now, love of my country aside, I'd be inclined to just tell the DUP they'd pushed too far, hang it all and let the country have another election. The Tories would probably lose and then no longer have to pilot this country through terrible mess it is in for the next two terms.
Such a wealth of hilarity. The Conservatives were happy to gamble the country for the health of their party twice in 12 months. The reason they're scrabbling around with the DUP (and risking ridicule and the Good Friday agreement) is because they know they'd get hammered for making us vote again. Even though they're sole cause of this terrible mess they'd happily blame it on everyone else while using the excuse to destroy the NHS etc.

There is no love of country in that party,only vying self-interest and cronyism.

I used to think Labour would be a relative shambles, but at least everyone would know what they were getting. Conservative 4 year policy was written solely by 2 advisors and wasn't known to senior Tories until 24hrs before manifesto launch. How can anyone vote for such chaos and disorganisation?

Soldato
**insert favourite Tory campaign slogan here**

"Coalition of Chaos". And to be fair - they were right. They stated that if people didn't vote for them that's what we'd get. And this certainly matches that!

So the DUP are going to vote against the Queen's speech tomorrow when there's a slight hint of getting some power/sway on proceedings within Parliament? Ha, no chance - they'll fall in line as expected. If not, then yea, bring on the next GE and the rise of the comrades.

DUP need to be read the fable of the golden goose, because that's how they're behaving. They have the best opportunity they've had in forever and they're acting like it's not enough for them. They could force even more spending by the central government on their constituency (already high, I think) and be happy. But nooooo!

Such a wealth of hilarity. The Conservatives were happy to gamble the country for the health of their party twice in 12 months. The reason they're scrabbling around with the DUP (and risking ridicule and the Good Friday agreement) is because they know they'd get hammered for making us vote again. Even though they're sole cause of this terrible mess they'd happily blame it on everyone else while using the excuse to destroy the NHS etc.

See, if you were less hyperbolic, if you just confined yourself to pointing out the ample examples of things that are actually the Tory's faults then we'd have agreement. But you claim they have sole responsibility for "the mess", you don't accept that not everything can be fixed in seven years, you don't accept that we are still paying in multiple ways for the Iraq War, that New Labour enacted many of the harmful changes to the NHS, you don't accept that the global financial crisis isn't the Tory's fault or acknowledge just how bug an impact that is. You probably blame the Tories for Brexit but allowing the people self-determination was the right thing to do ethically, as is honouring the will of the people - the fact that we chose so terribly is on us, the British people. Cameron staked his career on campaigning to stay in.

You can't credibly dump everything on the Conservatives' doorstep.

Soldato

The hipocracy in this post is incredible.

For seven years all we've heard from Conservstives is 'Labour can't manage the economy' mostly because of a global financial crisis that wasn't Labour's fault.

Now you're saying the Conservative response over the last seven years can't be blamed on them because of the global financial crisis.

Caporegime
So the DUP are threatening to walk away from the table if they don't get what they want from the Conservatives - it's almost as if they've taken an eminently sensible negotiating position; no deal is better than a bad deal. It's really concerning that so many panglossian remainers got upset by this. What happened to this country? We used to be so smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom