It's too hot :(

Soldato
I'm not finding it nearly as uncomfortable today as yesterday. Almost pleasant atm. Will be able to sleep with maybe a sheet over me tonight, rather than the naked with a fan on me from the previous 2

Soldato
If you want your house especially upstairs to be cooler then replace your loft hatch in this weather with a timber frame covered in some mosquito netting

Allows a hell of a lot of the heat from upstairs to rise into the loft :)

Man of Honour
its actually a lovely temp outside now and far cooler than the house.
Why do we insist in the UK to build such **** designed houses in the most expensive way possible.

Man of Honour
To cut our heating bills in the winter!
that's a lie, uk houses are inefficient in both the winter and the summer.
Being a mild climate we should need next to no heating or cooling, our houses just aren't desigend to begin with, with temperature control in mind, unlike many other countries.

Caporegime
that's a lie, uk houses are inefficient in both the winter and the summer.
Being a mild climate we should need next to no heating or cooling, our houses just aren't desigend to begin with, with temperature control in mind, unlike many other countries.

No no they are, just really badly. We stick crap loads of insulation in the loft which means warm air gets trapped during the summer. To prevent draughts in the winter there's no airflow. Again making them stifling in the summer. All of it's done cheaply. Instead of going for options like green roofs which cool in the summer and insulate in the winter or mechanical ventilation.

Man of Honour
No no they are, just really badly. We stick crap loads of insulation in the loft which means warm air gets trapped during the summer. To prevent draughts in the winter there's no airflow. Again making them stifling in the summer. All of it's done cheaply. Instead of going for options like green roofs which cool in the summer and insulate in the winter or mechanical ventilation.
a well-designed house has next to no drafts and keeps houses warm in winter and cool in the summer. Uk houses are really badly designed and built out of pretty poor materials. a lot of the reason is we need everywhere to look the same.

Caporegime
a well-designed house has next to no drafts and keeps houses warm in winter and cool in the summer. Uk houses are really badly designed and built out of pretty poor materials. a lot of the reason is we need everywhere to look the same.
We don't need everywhere to look the same, it's just they're built out of the cheapest materials across the board.
I must say even new builds in this country are far better to some places I've encountered elsewhere in Europe. However properties in Norway were outstanding.

Man of Honour
We don't need everywhere to look the same, it's just they're built out of the cheapest materials across the board.
I must say even new builds in this country are far better to some places I've encountered elsewhere in Europe. However properties in Norway were outstanding.
it's not even cheap, as bricks are very inefficient in man hours and insulation (both noise and heat), might be one of the cheapest materials, but the overall cost is not, especially with high wages we have in the UK.

Caporegime
it's not even cheap, as bricks are very inefficient in man hours and insulation (both noise and heat), might be one of the cheapest materials, but the overall cost is not, especially with high wages we have in the UK.
Yup. It's where the majority of the cost comes from. Just look at how much brick layers, plumbers and electricians can get paid never mind the manufacturers. Then there's the profit margins.
For something that is essential (housing) and which has such an environmental impact you'd honestly expect better controls to be in place. But...capitalism and all That!

Back
Top Bottom