Penny Arcade - D&D Game Podcast / Live Shows

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
It's a bit sad watching it drift apart but guess that happens, it may open the door longer term for Will rejoining in Scott's absence but i guess we'll see.

Whilst I like Scott I get the idea he is quite an opinionated ass at times and I wouldn't be surprised if down the line we find out he has fallen out with the group hence him leaving.

Wouldn't surprise me either. I'd love for Will to come back.

Morgan was OK, she was trying a bit to hard at the start but once she relaxed got better.

Great story again though; Chris is such a great DM, it always makes me wonder what he had planned if they'd not made the choices they did.

Soldato
The group's is very much two friend sets. Jerry+Pat, Scott+Mike. It's super clear when watching the series or the Christmas special. All Scott's jokes go to Mike, rather than across the table.

I like pat but my own play style mirrors Scott and Mike, less RP more third party direction of my character.

Will watch the latest one tonight

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
Aren't Jerry and Mike best mates who both work for/started Penny Arcade?

They are, but they are also pretty chalk and cheese.

In other news:

http://www.acq-inc.com/

Every podcast/stream/live event they've ever done in one place. PLUS:

On March 16th, we launch Acquisitions Incorporated: The “C” Team, in collaboration with HyperRPG. They’ve been using our studio for awhile now, so I see them all the time. It’ll be fun to get in the mix with their other shows. There’s even a trailer! It starts streaming on Twitch every Thursday, beginning March 16th, at 3:30pm PST. Very, very excited to get back behind the screen.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
I'm 5 eps into the 'C' team episodes and I'm hooked. Jerry has a solid campaign, and the team members are just as much fun as the main AI squad. If you like the AI games, then you'll also enjoy the C-Team :D

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
I've completely lost the thread of where things are at. I saw a PAX game pop up with no Scott or Pat and I was a sad panda

It was still a good game and worth watching for K'thris Strau'b's back story. Kriss Straub is great in that game, and his character is part of the 'C' Team, which is a group of AI Interns in a game run by Jerry Holkins (Omin Dran / Tycho Brahe). The 'C' Team story is totally separate to the main AI PAX adventures, but there are call backs to characters/places seen in the PAX games.

'C' Team is worth watching purely for Donnar Blitzen's immense acid breath attack :D

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
I've seen that pop up and meant to give it a watch. I'd Pat gone for good or was that a one off miss?

One off, he had other commitments that he couldn't get out of. Pat actually guests in one of the 'C' team eps, and Mike (Jim Darkmagic) is going to be guest DM'ing one of the upcoming episodes. Jerry is... concerned...

tLVq4qF.jpg

:D

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
OK, 15 episodes in and I have to say the C-Team is every bit as good as the main game. Because they are more regular they've probably already got as much video footage as the main party have managed in 10 years. The plot is great, the characters are fun, the team meshes really well, and the production values are superb.

If you've held off watching because its not the main team, don't, it's brilliant.

PS - Next main AI game is in September.

Soldato
I listened to the full first season last week in one day as I drove to Norwich and back in a day to pick up a copy of Ticket to Ride 10th anniversary edition (300 mile round trip)

must say it was great fun, as someone who has never played D&D (as much as I would love too) they did a really good job of explain how the system works and although a lot of the podcast is dice rolling I felt invested and laughed way too much when they rolled a 1.

so far listened to just over an hour of season 2 but haven't really had the time to listen more as I don't think I would get the most out of it in 10 minute bursts driving to work.

I have also tried critical role on youtube and as much as I want to enjoy it I don't have the time to sit and watch for 3 hours an episode and its too noisy trying to just listen to the audio as they always seem to talk over each other.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
I could never get into Critical Roll, I know its essentially the same kind of thing, but I just couldn't get invested with the players. AI and C-Team just hit all the right buttons for me.

Season 2 is superb, Wil Wheatons' character is just hilarious.

You'll find with the first few seasons that there's a fair bit of dice rolling/grids/minis/maps as it's 4E, once they move on to 5E it becomes much more roleplay with a few dice rolls thrown in. Both are great.

Soldato
My issue with both AI and Critical roll is the episodes being 1-3 hours long all the time. Despite wanting too I can rarely commit that time to sit and watch for that long and it's a PITA picking up episodes halfway through.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I usually watch Critical Role in 2 sessions, it has the convenient break in the middle to stop at. It is a commitment though, there are more hours of critical role that there are of the simpsons now!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
OP
My problem with C team is same as the Critical Role, 3 hour episodes are too much in one sitting and o lose track coming back and forth.

It's easy enough to dip in and out of. Later EPS they've started having a break at the half way mark. And it is so worth it. There's more hours of c team now than the main AI crew, and it's brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom