• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rx480 prices.... mining?

Soldato
Pfft, popped on the other day to look at finally RMAing my card, had a look in the store to find no 480. Sweet, I thought to myself, if they have sold out already I may get a mini upgrade 580. *Has a look at the 580s* Hmmm, nothing in stock and everything on pre-order. Prices don't strike me as unusual.

Pop on today and I see prices bordering £400. What the actual biscuits.

Will this hold up a RTM RMA? I'd usually assume they would have stock set aside but this all seems a little weird.

OcUK Staff
so we all know what the smart miners will be doing, essentially 170 days farming FOC then cards go back as faulty and start again????

Fortunately they tend to have some better morals than that, the miners we sell to in the 100+ do not request RMA's, when they fail if they fail, they throw them in a bin. Because if they started to take the jimmy, we would do everything we can to prevent them buying from us. Customers who abuse the RMA system to suit their own needs we blacklist and no longer supply, thankfully the amount of people we have blacklisted I can count on one hand.
Pfft, popped on the other day to look at finally RMAing my card, had a look in the store to find no 480. Sweet, I thought to myself, if they have sold out already I may get a mini upgrade 580. *Has a look at the 580s* Hmmm, nothing in stock and everything on pre-order. Prices don't strike me as unusual.

Pop on today and I see prices bordering £400. What the actual biscuits.

Will this hold up a RTM RMA? I'd usually assume they would have stock set aside but this all seems a little weird.

We have 580 and 570 in stock, send your RMA in and we'll sort you a 580. :)

We are building stock piles to keep gamers supplied at regular prices and RMAs covered.

Soldato
Fortunately they tend to have some better morals than that, the miners we sell to in the 100+ do not request RMA's, when they fail if they fail, they throw them in a bin. Because if they started to take the jimmy, we would do everything we can to prevent them buying from us. Customers who abuse the RMA system to suit their own needs we blacklist and no longer supply, thankfully the amount of people we have blacklisted I can count on one hand.

We are building stock piles to keep gamers supplied at regular prices and RMAs covered.

Gibbo you sexy man. Looking out for us poor souls like a champ.

Soldato
Wasn't allowed on a post in MM yesterday. Though if ocuk are going to be doing it on used cards...0_o
Think that was my post hehe..
I'd sell it I'm just not sure I'd risk ebay for various reasons.
Although it's a bit rich I can't sell my card on mm if ocuk are selling second hand cards at twice retail...

Soldato
Seems RX480s would have been a bettwr investment than cryptocurrencies themselves.

Sold my RX480 for £150 back in April and only cleared £130 after delivery. :(

Admittedly only paid £150 for it new, but sold just a couple of weeks too early.

Associate

My XFX R9 390 is with XFX at the moment (RMA'd through OCUK) waiting for repair or replacement, does this mean I might get a 580 as a replacement if it can't be repaired? It's been with them for over 2 weeks now and not heard anything back.

Soldato

Cheers Gibbo, I actually have MSI Gaming X 480s, both have loose heatsinks and one has lost its clocks, that's the one I want to RMA but I'd like to do the other once your guys have had a look at the heatsink on the first, think I got two cards from a bad batch, bought at the same time. I'd like both to match for the look of the build but I see that MSI cards don't seem to be stocked at the moment. I'm guessing this means they would go to MSI or would it be a swap out with another brand? Not sure what your procedures are.

Associate
Agree the RX480 is best for mining Ether and Zcash etc (get approx 30MH/s). Done some of this myself, but the GTX1060 isn't far behind with the right drivers and an OC and it uses less power (26MH/s). If you really want to mine, Nvidia cards are fine and you can still farm. GTX 1070s are great too but the price has to drop a bit more. Still I'd buy a GTX 1070 over a £450/500 RX480. The latter is just bonkers.

I wouldn't sell on ebay. Been burned multiple times with GPU sales there. Paypal simply extract your money and side with the buyer, even if the card is under warranty and the buyer broke it (modded bios etc, mining etc). Its not worth the risk.

Caporegime
^^

Bummer :(

Had the boxes all ready for my MSI GE OC 290, guess I'll just hold onto it till when/if I properly upgrade and keep the 290 as a backup, too much faff and hassle required.

EDIT:

Think that was my post hehe..
I'd sell it I'm just not sure I'd risk ebay for various reasons.
Although it's a bit rich I can't sell my card on mm if ocuk are selling second hand cards at twice retail...

Doesn't matter anyway, no one on the MM would offer any thing close to what the ebay prices are going for, instead, people expect you to sell your items at a loss on there :o

Makes me laugh looking at a current 290 thread, bet you all the people putting in the low offers have every intention of selling it on ebay for an even higher sum :D

Last edited:
Soldato

Surely if your mining at stock settings and the card fails its perfectly reasonable to ask for an RMA?

Back
Top Bottom