So i've recently installed a custom loop

Permabanned
but the gains just aren't there.

I've recently went from an Corsair H100 AIO to an EK supremecy evo with an Ek EX 240 rad and the temps really aren't that much better. Have I done something wrong? or is it the 7700k that is the problem in that it can't transfer the heat from core to waterblock fast enough?

I've been thinking about getting a Phanteks Primo case with 2 x 480mm EK EX rads, how much would this benefit the cooling or would it be pointless if the transfer from core to heatspreader to waterblock is poor?

Man of Honour
What were you expecting ?

I would consider what you have done as a side-grade rather than an upgrade.

You are not going to see a huge drop as you already had a 240 radiator.

How high are your temps at the moment ?

Soldato
As mentioned, I don't know what you were expecting here, going from a 240 rad to a 240 rad?

If you plan to put your GPU in the loop, then a Primo with x2 480 rads would be great, but otherwise it's a bit of a waste and overkill. Yes temps would improve, but that's a lot of money to spend just to cool a CPU.

The 7700K does run pretty hot due to the unsoldered IHS. It's a known issue. You can delid though, if that doesn't scare you too much, but you will void warranty doing so.

Permabanned
OP
My temps while gaming with the H100 and CPU @ 5Ghz I was hitting 73C, it is a little lower with the custom loop but not much maybe 8-10C max, most games maxing 66-70C. It doesn't help that the weather has gotten warmer since I've installed it so hard to compare properly.
While playing The Witcher 3 temps will hit over 85C and crash the system which forces me to downclock to 4.8Ghz with 1.3v (1.37v for 5Ghz)

I would be looking at watercooling my next GPU when the time comes but I don't fancy taking apart my current 1080Ti as it looks to be a bit of a pain lol.

I thought going from a 240 30mm rad to a 240 60mm rad would offer some gains, maybe close to a 480 30mm rad but I was wrong huh?.

Permabanned
OP
The CPU came pre delidded from OCUK, I think it's one of the pooer ones though as it states on the box that it's only gained 7C from the process, from a max of 80C to 73C.

Soldato
The CPU came pre delidded from OCUK, I think it's one of the pooer ones though as it states on the box that it's only gained 7C from the process, from a max of 80C to 73C.

Probably quite chunky voltage at those temps right? The real gains will come when you get more big rads, don't expect it icey cold though remembering it is overclocked significantly.

The most impressive change from a custom loop is adding your GPU - I've got two 1080s overclocked and in some profiles they run at 35c on full load.

Man of Honour
My temps while gaming with the H100 and CPU @ 5Ghz I was hitting 73C, it is a little lower with the custom loop but not much maybe 8-10C max, most games maxing 66-70C. It doesn't help that the weather has gotten warmer since I've installed it so hard to compare properly.
While playing The Witcher 3 temps will hit over 85C and crash the system which forces me to downclock to 4.8Ghz with 1.3v (1.37v for 5Ghz)

I would be looking at watercooling my next GPU when the time comes but I don't fancy taking apart my current 1080Ti as it looks to be a bit of a pain lol.

I thought going from a 240 30mm rad to a 240 60mm rad would offer some gains, maybe close to a 480 30mm rad but I was wrong huh?.

I would call that a good result, a drop of 8-10 degrees is not to be sniffed at with just a thicker rad.

As you mentioned, the recent weather is not going to help things, plus The Witcher 3 is a pretty taxing game.

As Smffy says above, the 'huge' drops will come from the GPU, my 1070 dropped 30 degrees and you lose the added fan noise.

Soldato
I'd definitely concur on the GPU front... by far the most advantageous reason to WC in my experience. You see temps cut in half and obviously eliminate fan noise. Builds I've done with just a CPU in the loop have usually resulted in the GPU being the noisiest component in the build, simply by virtue of everything else being so quiet. Consequently, going to the expense and effort of a CPU only loop just isn't worth it and not something I'd ever recommend.

Of course, all GPU's are different and the noise from some doesn't seem to be an issue for many people... although as I say, when you have everything else so quiet (and cool), you tend to notice it more.

Permabanned
OP
Ok thanks guys, I think i'm going to wait a few more months then and have a good think about it.
I think if I did get the Phanteks Primo I would just get the one 480 Rad for the top and put my current 240 rad in the bottom allowing me to keep the HDD cages.
I currently have a pump/res combo bay unit which I would probably use again if it slots in properly? It doesn't properly fit the Corsair 780T.

Associate
You can add 10x 560 rads but unlidded 7700K will still be a potato temp wise.
When I bought my 7700K months ago, I ran it @ 5ghz without delidding it and in a few minutes it got to 90c+
I shut down my pc rip out the cpu, grab a razorblade, and delid it.
After reinstalling and 10 hours of custom x264 stress test it capped @ 67c
All that on a 50€ cooler ( noctua C14S ) running @ 600rpm.
So the moral of the story, delid your cpu, buying more rads wont help you.

Associate
The CPU has already been delidded by the shop, maybe I've just got a rotten one?

today is a bit cooler and the CPU will idle at 28c and hit 67c while gaming.

that's pretty bad temp wise.

my 7700k, stock (no delid) with 1.375v at 5ghz runs at 55-60c gaming (something like bf1 at 144fps) on a corsair h115i.

in stress tests like realbench the max it hits is about 84c, averages are more in the high 70s.

Permabanned
OP
Well I got the chip swapped yesterday and it runs 10c cooler than the last one on average.
It can even do 5.1Ghz(not tested higher) with a bump from 1.35v to 1.38v but then it gets too hot while stress testing.

Back
Top Bottom