• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
There are many people that have will upgrade from Skylake. This is the first time that a generation has lasted so long.

Yeap, my 6700k @ 4.7Ghz will be 2 years old soon :) I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted another 2 years, since 99% of games will continue to run best on high IPC/clock speed quad cores for many years to come.

Soldato
Sandy bridge owners politely disagree ;)

I'm not sure I get your point. Skylake is the current gen architecture and will continue to be until Icelake comes out in 2019 (4 years afterwards).

SB/IB was when Intel was still following Tick/Tock updates and Haswell came out 2 and a bit years after SB.

Soldato
I'm not sure I get your point. Skylake is the current gen architecture and will continue to be until Icelake comes out in 2019 (4 years afterwards).

SB/IB was when Intel was still following Tick/Tock updates and Haswell came out 2 and a bit years after SB.

He's coming from the perspective of how long a CPU can last and be good where as you are coming from how long a CPU generation existed before a new gen was released?

Associate
Associate
Sandy Bridge was a great architecture and still holds up very well these days.

6yrs old and not that much slower then kabylake when clock for clock.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review

6 cores is my sweet spot. Hopefully Intel wont wait to long to release it :)

Though digital foundry did show SB is beginning to show its age, by no means is it redundant. It will be shortly though, with the gap between it and upcoming current releases growing larger.

Didn't you use to run a 6C HEDT? Or were you on Haswell? Before the 7700K I mean.

The SKU most of us will be after will release August so not too far away. I don't like jumping on at day one because BIOS immaturity, however with a decent all core turbo I might and wait with overclocking until that's settled.

With RAM prices I'm happier with mainstream than HEDT as well: dual 16 kit for 170 euro vs 32 quad for ~500 lol

Soldato
Not sure what that has to do with chipset changes. But ok fair enough.
Most people will only upgrade there CPUs once they feel it no longer serves their purpose or once something significantly better comes along. So Esoteric and eddiew post is relevant, to the context of the discussion. By that time most people will be willing/ready to upgrade a new generation of processors and therefore a new chipset will have come along. So forcefully changing chipset with every new processor is pointless and is just Intel trying to screw over enthusiast as much as possible.

Soldato
OP
First Coffee Lake-S 6C/12T Geekbench benchmark leaked by MSI:

Lcu4AM2.png

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-6-core-i7-cpu-performance-benchmark-leak/

Coffee Lake 6C/12T very low clocked 3.2GHz Geekbench single core and multi core scores is compared to Ryzen 5 1600X 6C/12T clocked 3.6GHz and Core i7 7700K 4C/8T clocked 4.2GHz.

Very impressive!

Cant wait to see what performance is like when Coffee Lake 6C/12T clocked 4.2 or 4.5GHz. :)

I googled Intel IDA2C9 00 southbridge and came up nothing, guess that will be official brand as Z370 chipset.

Found direct link to Geekbench benchmark:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/3208482

Soldato
R5 1600X @ 3.7 GHz (assuming turbo is on) scores the same in multithreaded tests as Coffee Lake at 3.2 GHz (although we don't know if any turbo mode is enabled). Could be up to 16% better IPC in this particular benchmark compared to Ryzen. However, price is going to be the most important factor that determines whether Coffee Lake-S will be viable at any budget range.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
R5 1600X @ 3.7 GHz (assuming turbo is on) scores the same in multithreaded tests as Coffee Lake at 3.2 GHz (although we don't know if any turbo mode is enabled). Could be up to 16% better IPC in this particular benchmark. Price is going to be the most important factor that determines whether Coffee Lake-S will be viable at any budget range.

yeah thats a straight 1600 running at stock 3.6ghz or a 1600x down clocked for some odd reason, either way your talking a £220 cpu if you got a 1600 at 3.6ghz stock, you can bet that coffee lake will be £100 more intel has got to really surprise with its prices or its going to be another comedy pr megatasking x299 rerun.

Soldato
R5 1600X @ 3.7 GHz (assuming turbo is on) scores the same in multithreaded tests as Coffee Lake at 3.2 GHz (although we don't know if any turbo mode is enabled). Could be up to 16% better IPC in this particular benchmark compared to Ryzen. However, price is going to be the most important factor that determines whether Coffee Lake-S will be viable at any budget range.

Isn't the single core difference like 20% between Ryzen and Kaby Lake in Geekbench?

That's such an odd benchmark. The last Threadripper results on it was barely better than an 1800X for multi core, and it was 16 cores vs 8

Soldato
yeah thats a straight 1600 running at stock 3.6ghz or a 1600x down clocked for some odd reason, either way your talking a £220 cpu if you got a 1600 at 3.6ghz stock, you can bet that coffee lake will be £100 more intel has got to really surprise with its prices or its going to be another comedy pr megatasking x299 rerun.
If Coffee Lake has 15% better IPC on average (no idea yet, one benchmark is not an indicator of overall IPC) and clocks 15% higher on average (i.e. 4.5 GHz) with decent air cooling, it could have performance over 30% better than the R5 1600. However, remember that the R5 1600 is under £200; the 6c/12t CFL-S chip is certainly going to be much more than 30% more expensive, which means that it still won't be viable for anything but very high budget ranges. A 1080 Ti + R5 1600 is almost certainly still going to be better at gaming than a 1080 + CFL-S, for example.

Personally I do not expect anywhere near a 15% IPC gap between the two. Maybe in terms of average frame rates in older games but we already know Ryzen suffers from lack of optimisation in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom