Spec me a gaming headset for £250

Associate
Hi, my birthday is coming up and I'm looking to replace my Sharkoon X-Tatic headset. I've not got much of a problem with them, but have owned them for roughly 8 years, they're a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours as the inside of the cans presses on the cartilage of my ear which can proper hurt after a while. The surround on them is great but the mixer/processing box has to be fiddled with till some static goes. Plus they're wired and I'd like the freedom of wireless.
I want to use the new headset with my PC, and maybe occasionally with my Xbox One.
I'd like true surround, but don't care if virtual is as good, fine, I've just never tried virtual so don't know how it compares, my current Sharkoons are true surround.
I'd also like a good mic, I game with a regular bunch and don't want to be the dude irritating people unintentionally, I like to do that on purpose when it amuses me :)
Currently looking at the Astro A50 wireless 2016 version. Seems to tick all the boxes but would appreciate any feedback if someone owns them, or another product that'll fit the bill.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Associate
Hi dude... just my experience .I looked at the A50s but decided they were too expensive and didn't particularly like the looks. Got the logitech g933s . Sounded good and quite liked them but had several software issues on 2different sets.Returned them and Got the Siberia 800s in the end and Iam more than happy with them ..plus they are multi platform comparable. Not sure of there are a couple of issues when connecting to Xbox though...you could check that out I suppose......
PS......Be prepared for the ...Don't get a headset get headphones brigade.....it's coming...lol..
Anyway let me know what you decide on and happy shopping chap...

Associate
got 3 different surround sound gaming headsets so something to compare.

astro a50 gen 3
Roccat kaves
Logitech g930

The roccats have 5.1 sound separate drivers are a great sounding wired gaming headset but too heavy and uncomfortable after an hour for me so, i went with the astro a50 gen 3 very comfortable they sound fantastic on the xbox and pc i have no regrets going for a virtual set up it all works perfectly seamless on both platforms no hassle or anything it just works. the range on the astro is not as far as the logitechs as it uses 5ghz and not 2.4ghz. can go anywhere in my flat with the g930 but some areas it cuts out using the astros.

Logitech g930 not sure if that would work on the xbox but bought them recently as they was so cheap 40 quid had some major hassle with the software and the win 10 recent update going back to a older version of the software rectified that though, might be worth a look at the replacement model Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933 Wireless it gets decent reviews on you tube but only 2.1 sound one the xbox one and ps4. if it was 5.1 then it would be a astro killer :p

the mics on both wireless headsets are fine for gaming.

bit disappointed the astros only come with a one year warranty for 250 quid the current price (got mine for £220 so they do go on offer sometimes) it should be longer tbh logitechs are 2 year for example.

Soldato
they're a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours as the inside of the cans presses on the cartilage of my ear which can proper hurt after a while.

I'd like true surround
You should try something like Koss Porta Pros.
They might be big classics for portable use, but after few hours your ears won't be liking "hug" of them...:p

There's no true surround in headphones.
No matter how many (of cheapest Chinese) drivers you cram into them they can't mimic how sounds coming from different directions behave before reaching ears.
Which happens when using speakers. (though in case of them room acoustics can mess things)

Closest thing is binaural sound.
Whose principle has been known for over hundred years... or really as long as it's been known how human hears in 3D with just two "microphones/receivers":
http://berkeleybside.com/sound-dimensions-of-binaural-recording/
Darn... shouldn't have listened that.
It makes stereo recordings sound flat and lifeless...

Without real world to do binaural recording that binaural sound needs to be simulated from 5.1 surround sound produced by game (or from movie recording) by mathematical algorithtms.
Creative has best algorithms.
Old CMSS-3D being in its own class in detail nitpicking, at the expense of killing bass and mutilating frequency response/music.
With newer SBX Pro Studio being lot more balanced and retaining bass and overal frequency response lot better.
Despite of hyped name Dolby Headphone is rather mediocre with awful echo and bass bloat from it.

For binaural sound to work properly it needs good frequency response and sound stage from headphones.
Otherwise sense of direction can be very partial and especially there's no sense of depth, as in everything sounding coming from space of bucket.
Open headphones have lot easier time in achieving big sound stage.

For "competitive" sound headphones should have neutral bass so that foot steps and such sounds are easier to hear.
Obviously "shy" bass eats fun factor, so for more entertainment gaming you'll likely want more balanced headphone with some strength in bass.
Once again open headphones have easier time in that between having bass and rest of sound balanced between each others.

Associate
I was in the same boat before and i tried several fancy "gamer" headsets and they all sounded like crap, till i tried headphones and now i'm a happy gamer

Soldato
Tried loads of headsets over the years. Some broke even though I've 'got' Aspergers and am REALLY careful with my stuff. Some had really bad driver issues.......I'm looking at you, Creative. Then I bought a set of https://www.overclockers.co.uk/beye...t-for-pc-xboxone-and-ps4-black-sp-009-by.html and didn't look back.
Was your Aspergers sleeping on duty when getting non-audio maker stuff? :p
Anyway MMX300 is based on DT770 so depending on pricing in UK DT770+ModMic might be notably cheaper.

Associate
+1 for the MMX300's.

Use these for nighttime gaming run through GSX1000 and the sound is amazing and the headphones very comfortable. Built in mic was a big bonus for me instead of dicking about with adding a mic.

Best

Wulf

Associate
Headphones and mod mic all the way. Akg 712/mod mic blew my senny 360 out of the water.

Didn't like the gsx1000. Preferred on-board but run with chord mojo.

Back
Top Bottom