Time to upgrade but desktop or laptop?

Associate
K guys I want to upgrade my current PC system but not sure what path to take desktop or laptop. Currently I dont play that many games on pc but if i do it would be the likes of Football manager,Diablo3 and ARK(doesnt play well on current spec).

Im wondering with the limited pc gaming I do would it be worthwhile getting desktop or just go laptop and update it every 4-5years?

Current system below, let me know what u guys thinks or what questions I should still be asking myself
. Budget for any new rig/laptop would be around £2.5K but if theres better bang for buck all the better

Current Sytem:
SoundCard:- Asus XonarD2xPCI-E
Monitors:- BenQ XL2430T 24" & Acer X233H
SSD/HDD:- Samsung 500GB 840 Evo 6Gbs & WD caviar black 2TB 6Gbs
Memory:- 12GB Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
GFX:- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-E
Optical drive:- Samsung SH-B123LBSBP 12x BluRay ROM DVDRW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATAII
Case:- Antec 1200
PSU:- Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply
CPU:- AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz @ 3.80GHz
MOBO:- Asus Crosshair III Formula Motherboard

Soldato
what do you usually use your computer for, and is there a particular reason your looking to upgrade ?

from a quick look around for ARK (if i've got the right game) isn't very well optimised so won't run that well on most systems, have a search in the pc games forum and you'll see what i mean.

Associate
Unless you need the portability of laptop or are short on desk space, you'll get a better spec desktop for your money. And you'll inevitably get a better experience as you'll have a nicer keyboard and bigger screen.

Associate
OP
what do you usually use your computer for, and is there a particular reason your looking to upgrade ?

from a quick look around for ARK (if i've got the right game) isn't very well optimised so won't run that well on most systems, have a search in the pc games forum and you'll see what i mean.

Mostly browsing with the odd gaming on the games mentioned already, My current system is pretty old and just looking to bring my rig up to speed. Im also looking something pretty upgrade proof for the next 3-4years.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Unless you need the portability of laptop or are short on desk space, you'll get a better spec desktop for your money. And you'll inevitably get a better experience as you'll have a nicer keyboard and bigger screen.

I just maybe thought with the limited gaming I do a laptop might be an option, the portability isnt essential and I fit the current desktop case pretty well. Keyboard I use is a Corsair K65 RGB , recently bought and a R.A.T 9 wireless mouse.

If i go desktop Im happy to keep current monitors and SSD/HDD combo im currently using, possibly soundcard too if its still relevant.

Soldato
for me your current desktop looks decent enough for what you want to do, with the exception of ARK which as i said before seems to have issues.

if you really have the upgrade itch i'd consider going for one of the nvidia 1060's.

if it's a case of you have the money to spend NOW, arn't sure you'll have it available due to future plans and you want to get it all in place then have a look at the amd ryzen 7 processors, but keep in mind there is talk of a new intel processor due out "soon", have seen aug/sept mentioned but nothing solid.

Associate
OP
for me your current desktop looks decent enough for what you want to do, with the exception of ARK which as i said before seems to have issues.

if you really have the upgrade itch i'd consider going for one of the nvidia 1060's.

if it's a case of you have the money to spend NOW, arn't sure you'll have it available due to future plans and you want to get it all in place then have a look at the amd ryzen 7 processors, but keep in mind there is talk of a new intel processor due out "soon", have seen aug/sept mentioned but nothing solid.

K thanks, give me something to think about cheers :D

Back
Top Bottom