Spec me a new CPU/Board/memory

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/Memory (time for DDR4) as my current bits are going into another PC I'm building. It will mainly be used for gaming and I want to stick with i7, budget wise I can be flexible but want something that's going to benefit me. Not sure which socket type to go for as I've had my 1150 board a good few years now.

Any advice would be great!

Forgot to say I prefer to stick with Intel.

Soldato
Wait for Intel CoffeeLake (i7 6-core options) if you can. Rumours of August release.

Otherwise you want KabyLake i7-7700K with a Z270 board (socket 1151) and (ideally) 3000/3200+MHz DDR4. Or for the big spenders KabyLake X/Skylake X https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/intel/socket-2066?sPage=1&sSort=3 and X299 boards (socket 2066) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/motherboards/intel/lga-2066-x299-chipset and quad-channel DDR4 (although dual channel/two sticks will also work).

For pure gaming PC I'd go with Kabylake i7-7700K and Z270 board, or wait for a CoffeeLake 6-core i7 and a Z370 board.

Soldato
Thanks mate, any memory suggestions? What are the new i9 cpu's and 2066 socket types aimed at?

People who don't know what to do with their money? :)

The i7-7800X 6-core isn't bad value though (for an Intel 6-core...) but the X299 boards are expensive.

Other than those who like playing with new, expensive stuff and can afford it, the extra cores on the Intel "Enthusiast" range can be useful for rendering, encoding, streaming, lot of multitasking, etc as well as gaming (but right now the mainstream i7-7700K typically performs a bit better at gaming when overclocked. This may change in the coming years when more apps/games take advantage of extra cores).

Memory I don't know, I tend to go for the cheapest at a certain, affordable speed, unless I particularly like the looks of one, such as G.Skill Trident Z RGB/non-RGB, Corsair Vengeance RGB, TeamGroup Night Hawk RGB, TeamGroup Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition", those flavours are pretty much the bee's knees at the moment.

Less expensive options include:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,208.41
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/Memory (time for DDR4) as my current bits are going into another PC I'm building. It will mainly be used for gaming and I want to stick with i7, budget wise I can be flexible but want something that's going to benefit me. Not sure which socket type to go for as I've had my 1150 board a good few years now.

Any advice would be great!

Forgot to say I prefer to stick with Intel.

Ok, how much did intel pay you? ( Grinning )

Associate
Not gona use the word aaaaaaaaammmmm, cut off now! But the m/board platform for intel dies almost instantly as it comes out, cheeky fafaffffffffkkkkks they are

Back
Top Bottom