Teaching of Evolution being removed in Turkish schools

Soldato
Oh FFS,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40384471

The Turkish minister for education has ordered the removal of a paragraph on evolution in textbooks for 14-15 year olds stating:

An Idiot said:
Students are "too young to understand 'controversial subjects'", he said, adding that the topic will be delayed until undergraduate study.

I believe the modern expression is: "I don't, I can't even..."

Caporegime
That simply won't do, Theresa May must have the number one totalitarian agenda, with the DUP on board it shouldn't be too hard to spin.

Irrelevant joke aside, this is par for the course for an islamist hole.

Caporegime
gotta wonder what future societies will make of this sort of thing, I can only hope that as education around the world increases, in particular science education, that we'll see less of this nonsense

2cRenjW.jpg

Soldato
As for the DUP reference, it probably is something you need to know if these people are to prop up our government.

I shall requite
On creationism
My view on the earth is that it's a young earth. My view is [it was created in] 4000 BC.
Edwin Poots, MLA for Lagan Valley, told Times columnist Mattew Parris in 2007.

He also told the Radio Times:
You’re telling me that cosmic balls of dust gathered and there was an explosion.
We’ve had lots of explosions in Northern Ireland and I’ve never seen anything come out of that that was good

Certainly not, and there are plenty of other people in this society who don't believe it either.
Mervyn Storey, former Education Minister when asked if he believed in Darwinism.

Caporegime
Well it was a joke regardless, I dont expect the country that was the birthplace of the venerated Darwin to start being ultra-fundamental when half the country are secular/atheist.

Caporegime
NATO Ally :D

That would be more relevant if many in the US didn't think the same. :(

Religion and politics/education shouldn't mix. Unfortunately it seems to do so more often than most of us would like it to. Turkey is going backwards, yet it seems to be "at the will of the people".

Caporegime
That would be more relevant if many in the US didn't think the same. :(

Religion and politics/education shouldn't mix. Unfortunately it seems to do so more often than most of us would like it to. Turkey is going backwards, yet it seems to be "at the will of the people".

I'm wondering though how long will NATO suffer this indignity?

Caporegime
As long as Turkey still supports them in the Middle East and against Russia they will do. That said the US are rattling the cage with support for the Kurds and Turkey is getting increasingly close to Russia so it may not last too long.

Soldato
What I don't understand is the inability for evolution and creationism to be combined. For example, why could God not have created the universe using what we understand as a big bang and formed it over time, even letting creatures evolve in their own ways as part of the creation? Genesis is a Jewish writing and one that both Christians and Muslims use as basis for creation. The Jews are fond of their stories to illustrate points and its likely the early parts of the bible let's say pre Moses are passed word of mouth. So its pretty certain (though obviously not 100%) that the 7 day creation is a story to illustrate creation of all the different parts of the world.

To clarify as well, I believe fully in God (Christian) but appreciate most people on here don't.

Soldato
I can't actually remember it being taught it in school in the U.K. tbh.... is it?
We are taught the history of the world and the basics of the origins of the universe.
We are not,however, taught that about 6K years ago, in seven days, God just made the whole thing happen in real time.
No suggestion of parable or story telling, it happened for a fact, and the DUP believe such things.
A book tells them such.

Soldato
What I don't understand is the inability for evolution and creationism to be combined. For example, why could God not have created the universe using what we understand as a big bang and formed it over time, even letting creatures evolve in their own ways as part of the creation? Genesis is a Jewish writing and one that both Christians and Muslims use as basis for creation. The Jews are fond of their stories to illustrate points and its likely the early parts of the bible let's say pre Moses are passed word of mouth. So its pretty certain (though obviously not 100%) that the 7 day creation is a story to illustrate creation of all the different parts of the world.

To clarify as well, I believe fully in God (Christian) but appreciate most people on here don't.

Why "obviously not 100%" certain that the world was not made in 7 days? The Earth and the Universe are billions of years old. This can be proven. It doesn't refute the possibility of there being (or having been) a god (or goddess, or gods), but it does show that any creation stories (of any religion) shouldn't be taken too literally.

Back
Top Bottom