Given up on owning defect free monitor

Soldato
Not sure how effective that would be. 3 out of the 4 members of staff I spoke to said that this was a good IPS panel with no more than perfectly normal glow or blb:

https://goo.gl/photos/6Y9uwNZCJA4m4FWy6
https://goo.gl/photos/HtYdVZt3v2yFHvfM6

Given the faff it must be for them to have to arrange RMA and send it back to Acer, I'm not convinced a panel quality check by the reseller would be worth any money.

What I mean is that they have to release a standard protocol for all the panel control, e.g. Compare each panel's LED glow in a pitch black room against a monitor that only has the standard IPS glow or compare the photographic shots of the panels in a control manner (e.g. 1/2s, f/2, 24mm?). They can release the standard to the forum members and we can choose whether their standard is acceptable. It's a bit like 8-pack binned CPU chips, you pay a premium for them to pre-bin the monitor.

Sure sometimes we can still argue, then all we need would be to produce the photographic shot and OcUK will have to take back the panel no question asked. This way it's a lot more transparent to both parties and I think it'll make everyone happy, except the manufacturers, but if they don't wanna keep the QC up to par then I think OcUK would have all the reason not to stock them and give other monitor manufacturers a shot.

I think what OcUK would have to do is also produce a standard protocol of the baseline for IPS glow. The easiest way would be to release a photograph of the standard glow on a IPS curved monitor to all the RMA staff so they will know what is IPS glow and what is BLB, instead of just learning the fact that light in the edge of a IPS curve = IPS glow. But on the other hand, when filing an RMA I think it's also reasonable to request a shot of the monitor showing a all black image in a pitch black/near dark room, too much ambient light would also confuse an untrained eyes of the slight reflection on the surface of the panel.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Im sorry to say but that is awful compared to my own earlier in thread , I wonder if those same 3 members of staff would say that if it was there own money. Out of all the screens ive seen the acer`s are generally worse for blb in left corners. IF you want less blb I would pay the extra and go with asus.

I decided to stick with my asus after reviewing the samsung cf791 and returning to ocuk, im not happy about the blb but the gysnc was worth it over the samsung. I cannot imagine keeping this monitor for very long thought every time I turn it on or have dark content my eyes are drawn to it.

Shame as when I invested in monitor it was supposed to last for at least 2 / 3 years but if something better comes along with no blb hopefully before end of year same spec I will jump ship in a instant.

Id be happy to go back to my pioneer krp500a but ive been relegated by Mrs and its now used solely for movies etc :)

I do feel for the retailers but most are happy to peddle this crap to us and tell us its fine because thats the same line thats given to them by the manufacture which they have to follow …... they know themselves its not fine , long and short of it is that manufacturers need to step up and stop treating consumers so badly. I would happily pay extra for a panel that has been inspected and tested calibrated whatever by the manufacture as I did with the krp500a years ago.

No one wants to be rma ing panels its exhausting mentally and not to mention time consuming its like the resellers think we have nothing better to do when all we want is to be enjoying our new product free from defects .

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate this tbh. Prices seem to be going up and up, and ignoring the economical changes afoot, I think its down to manufacturer building rubbish. Their putting their prices up because a. They have loads returned faulty, which costs them. b. People are holding off, so they need more money per unit from those that do buy and c. Brexit.

Its a terrible time to buy a screen.

Soldato
Im sorry to say but that is awful compared to my own earlier in thread , I wonder if those same 3 members of staff would say that if it was there own money. Out of all the screens ive seen the acer`s are generally worse for blb in left corners. IF you want less blb I would pay the extra and go with asus.

I decided to stick with my asus after reviewing the samsung cf791 and returning to ocuk, im not happy about the blb but the gysnc was worth it over the samsung. I cannot imagine keeping this monitor for very long thought every time I turn it on or have dark content my eyes are drawn to it..
Not sure Asus are much better, I've had 3 panels and all had pretty back backlight bleed. Bottom-right corner seems to be the biggest issue on the MG279Q for some reason.

Associate
Fenchu>Unfortunately I have never seen an IPS screen without backlight bleed or IPS glow ever and I have been using IPS for a very long time now.

At the moment I have 2 Dell 34 and one Asus 34 and they all have it. It just to varying degrees.Having said that One of Dells has the lowest amount of BLB/Ips glow I have ever seen. While the other Dell has the worst out of the three. And the Asus sits in the middle. It not really a substantial amount.

But as soon as the Dell Oled 4k comes out then I am after that and ditching Ips ultrawides. I love the ultrawide format and the IPs for all the benefits it brings but against an Oled it's no match.

Associate
OP
Fenchu>Unfortunately I have never seen an IPS screen without backlight bleed or IPS glow ever and I have been using IPS for a very long time now.

At the moment I have 2 Dell 34 and one Asus 34 and they all have it. It just to varying degrees.Having said that One of Dells has the lowest amount of BLB/Ips glow I have ever seen. While the other Dell has the worst out of the three. And the Asus sits in the middle. It not really a substantial amount.

But as soon as the Dell Oled 4k comes out then I am after that and ditching Ips ultrawides. I love the ultrawide format and the IPs for all the benefits it brings but against an Oled it's no match.

I hear you there fella , really looking forwad to oled monitors at the right price of course .... that dell oled just seems way overpriced at moment but certainly a step in the right direction :)

Soldato
My dad took delivery of a LG 34UC88 yesterday and I spent a bit of last night setting it up for him with a Mac Mini. It has some light bleed in the bottom left corner but none in any of the other corners.

Pretty good in comparison to some of the photos I've seen but still a little disappointing.

One thing which surprised me was it didn't seem as big as I expected taking it out of the box but once hooked up to the Mac Mini with the desktop displayed it looks huge :)

Associate
I hear you there fella , really looking forwad to oled monitors at the right price of course .... that dell oled just seems way overpriced at moment but certainly a step in the right direction :)

I agree at the right price I would for sure switch. I mean even if it didn't have gsync it not that a big of a deal for me. Sure it nice and all that. But after all these years what really bother me is that I have been using IPS for at least 15 years and we only now get gsync and they still can't perfect the ips glow and blb issues which plague the IPS technology since the very beginning and we are at a point where is hardly anyy different to all those years ago.

And after gaming on a Ps4 pro and hdr oled I knew my love affair with IPS was over.

Soldato
thanks for all the feedback replys. :)

bimbleuk i looked at your picture thank you , my acer was like that as well which i returned for other reasons. The asus seems slightly better im on now ie less spread in left corners , right corner i dont notice.

Just unsure wether to return and give up i cant imagine getting any better based on what ive seen or feedback ..... in the day the reflection are quite bad , on the evening i contend with this blb glow i find myself raising monitor lower chair etc if i sit back from desk its only noticable on top left corner i even tried adding led lighting to rear of desk , i think out of the 5 screens ive seen they all looked the same on left hand side. The asus were better for this but its still there as you can see.

Ill have to mull it over at the moment its a shame its a great screen but between reflections and blb glow I feel limited with a window on enjoyment on this screen.

Hi - I paid £800 (I think the screen is £1000 now) for the Eizo 27inch 144hz ips. It is built like a tank and has zero picture defects.

People complain about poor quality but are not willing to pay the extra or, are willing to swap other features for ultimate picture quality (G-Sync, 21:9 etc.).

Soldato
Hi - I paid £800 (I think the screen is £1000 now) for the Eizo 27inch 144hz ips. It is built like a tank and has zero picture defects.

People complain about poor quality but are not willing to pay the extra or, are willing to swap other features for ultimate picture quality (G-Sync, 21:9 etc.).

We are willing to pay extra, but even the premium manufacturers aren't willing to stick a label on saying "BLB-free guarantee" and don't make it clear that they are prepared to RMA them on this basis. It's like nobody in the industry is prepared to even mention that BLB exists.

Soldato

Erm people do pay extra I'd say Asus rog and Acer predator screens are premium only issue is neither manufacture give a toss about quality control or decent warranty for bleed issues

Associate
Looks like the Acer x34a has gone up in price again by £90....returned mine at the start of the week because of severe BLB and a dead pixel. I guess like mentioned previously it's costly to keep RMAing and having all these monitors returned. Even the OCUK staff finished my sentence on the phone before I finished saying Acer Predator...! :rolleyes:

Associate
Got a X34A coming tommorow... I hope it's not as bad as they say with regards to bleed/glow. I shall post and tell you how it is.

Soldato
I've got three Dell UltraSharp monitors and they are all perfect. I'll never buy another brand of monitor in the future because the UltraSharps are so good. I don't need any of those fluff features like G-sync or 144Hz I just want a really high quality professional monitor.

Back
Top Bottom