Subnautica

Soldato
I was a bit concerned with the last update but this one seems to have helped performance no end. Still going to hold off playing until full release, 20 hours in the sandbox is enough for me for now.
Been playing for a good 7hrs or so and am starting to feel the same. I don't want to venture in any further really...

Use the Cyclops shield sparingly or you risk draining all 6 power cells and having to swim back to base..
I feel the Cyclops gets attacked too easily now. I've mixed feelings about the system, especially when I just got mobbed by 4x Sandsharks whilst on the way to the Floating Island. Power drain and cell management is a PITA.

Soldato
I feel the Cyclops gets attacked too easily now. I've mixed feelings about the system, especially when I just got mobbed by 4x Sandsharks whilst on the way to the Floating Island. Power drain and cell management is a PITA.

I've have very limited hours on this game and have only just got the Cyclops, so I can't comment on how it was implemented before Slient Running.

It does seem very fragile with the starting hull which made the shield sound like a good idea until I used it 3 times in short order to defend against a similar attack and ended up having to flee a heavily damaged and powerless Cyclops by Seaglide as no power = no Prawn launch.

Associate
I'm still waiting for them to make it multiplayer or give us something to actually defend ourselves properly before I take it up again...
The devlopers have openly stated that they will not be adding multiplayer, to implement this in their opinion would force a complete re write of the game and as such they would prefer to perfect and complete the current game. They did say that some point in the future they may consider a second game with added multiplayer / co op but it will definitely not be added to Subnautica.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-multiplayer-when-if-how-and-why/

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144802/coop-or-multiplayer-in-subnautica-im-afraid-not

Associate
I really think they've missed a trick not designing this game with at least 2 player co-op in mind at some point in it's development. I can understand how it might be too late to consider it now, but co-op in this game would increase the appeal so much I would think. You have an amazing world to explore, but you're billy no mates and can't enjoy exploring it with anybody? Smacks of a missed opportunity to me.

Soldato
well, picked this up in the steam summer sale, and it's certainly different....

haven't progressed that far (i think) in the plotline, got to the stage of exploring a floating island with some old stuff, explored the aurora and need to finish exploring another island with a big alien structure on it (got through the first door but got stuck on the second)

today i've been lucky enough to build a cyclops, just finished kitting it out with food growing, crafting stations etc making it a home away from home.

wanna build a prawn suit, but it needs aerogel and aluminium, both of which i haven't found yet, alongside the elusive moon pool fragments for the sea moth so i can upgrade it.

couple of questions:
how does the scanner room work? i built it but it does nothing, the drone pods keep moving about (annoying as i'm using them as markers for my base- see second question)
is there any way apart from just remembering/building a section above water for me to mark where my base is? i didn't build it near the pod so its fun to try to navigate back there.
and finally is there any decent method of getting water other than manually crafting it? never seem to have enough of the stuff but thanks to the medical fabricator and grow beds i've food and medicine galore.

Soldato
well, picked this up in the steam summer sale, and it's certainly different....

haven't progressed that far (i think) in the plotline, got to the stage of exploring a floating island with some old stuff, explored the aurora and need to finish exploring another island with a big alien structure on it (got through the first door but got stuck on the second)

today i've been lucky enough to build a cyclops, just finished kitting it out with food growing, crafting stations etc making it a home away from home.

wanna build a prawn suit, but it needs aerogel and aluminium, both of which i haven't found yet, alongside the elusive moon pool fragments for the sea moth so i can upgrade it.

couple of questions:
how does the scanner room work? i built it but it does nothing, the drone pods keep moving about (annoying as i'm using them as markers for my base- see second question)
is there any way apart from just remembering/building a section above water for me to mark where my base is? i didn't build it near the pod so its fun to try to navigate back there.
and finally is there any decent method of getting water other than manually crafting it? never seem to have enough of the stuff but thanks to the medical fabricator and grow beds i've food and medicine galore.

I'm not sure how the scanner room works now. I used it way back in January this year but it was half-broken so I left it. I haven't tried it since so I can't help with that I'm afraid. I can, however, answer your other two questions. You can craft beacons to allow you to mark areas of interest, like bases, caves, anywhere you like really. You equip it, drop it, and then you can give it a name that will then appear on your HUD with a distance marker that's visible from wherever you are. They're very useful to have.

In terms of water, there are water purification stations that you can build within your base, but they use up a lot of power (nuclear or bioreactor recommended). If your base is fairly close to the surface though, you can build solar panels and these may help a bit as well :)

Soldato
I'm not sure how the scanner room works now. I used it way back in January this year but it was half-broken so I left it. I haven't tried it since so I can't help with that I'm afraid. I can, however, answer your other two questions. You can craft beacons to allow you to mark areas of interest, like bases, caves, anywhere you like really. You equip it, drop it, and then you can give it a name that will then appear on your HUD with a distance marker that's visible from wherever you are. They're very useful to have.

In terms of water, there are water purification stations that you can build within your base, but they use up a lot of power (nuclear or bioreactor recommended). If your base is fairly close to the surface though, you can build solar panels and these may help a bit as well :)

Thanks, guess the scanner room is still broken as it won't scan and the camera drones keep moving of their own accord.

guess i've somehow missed the beacon blueprints, hopefully i'll be able to find them now i've got effectively a mobile base to operate from (although gonna need to up my fixed bases power production and get some spare power cells charging).

i do have a coffee machine i got from the aurora, but at ~30s for +5 liquid it's not much use outside of emergencies.

gonna see about trying to get the alien base fully explored today, might open up a bit more plot for me.

Soldato
Spent a solid 2hrs today. Decided to bite the bullet and take my Cyclops and my Amnesic Seamoth (it keeps forgetting it has a pressure module in it) to the lava zone. Took 21 power cells with me for this trip and later barely made it back to base as I had used up the lot bar the final cell @ 44% thanks to buggy energy sapping Sonar.

There was nothing down the ILZ the last time I probably played the game so it was a pain getting down there smoothly and radar helped greatly. I met the big bad down there who decided to hump my Cyclops repeatedly until I killed the engines for a while. I discovered a precursor research lab down there and ventured much deeper to another facility where all my predictions about the story came true. Sadly the very last step isn't in the game yet but it was one hell of a moment witnessing the build up to it. I admit I was seriously lucky getting out alive. Now that I can say I predicted the storyline well enough, I've got to say that the devs have fleshed it all out brilliantly.

Lastly, its a stutterfest down there :(

Soldato
Just fired the game up and headed over to the void in my Cyclops Mrk4. Navigating the inventory with my controller was very unresponsive, not sure what was going on there but using the D-Pad just wasn't happening like it used to.

Went past a lot of Bonesharks and no attacks so all good so far. Parked up the Cyclops at the top of the void in order to check out the upgrade slots - I have only 4 available to me so I'm not sure what that's about as it wasn't accepting anymore than 4.

Then it hit me...like a sledgehammer from the rear :o The Ghost Leviathan is no where near as large as I thought but two whacks had the Cyclops health at about 20-30%. I could have raised shields, but instead surfaced as fast as I could. I couldn't see a difference with the exterior lighting but as I played just 20mins I'll give it a fair go properly tomorrow.

Soldato
well, i see whatever's making this game progressively less stable/playable as you move on through is unnaffected by the horsepower of the machine you're using.

gave up playing it on the laptop as it was barely functioning, had just got to the underground river with my prawn/cyclops combo. figured it's be much longer on the main rig before it got bad.

but now i'm running through it on my proper rig it seems to be if anything even worse, i've just got the blueprint for the cyclops and plan to get it built and upgraded before setting sail for the underground river and general deep exploration, but performance is but a crawl.

might have to try the various "fixes" google brings up and see what that does.

Soldato
well, seemed to be running better today, finally got myself a modification station and brewed up a mk3 pressure compensator for the seamoth then went looking for the underground river with great success.

all i need to do now is swap it over to the prawn and get the cyclops down to the entrance so i can go to the thermal plant.

i'm now at the same stage where on the laptop i'd given up due to the horrific performance, hopefully i can finally see how this plot continues :)

Back
Top Bottom