• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon RX 460 - Inconsistently Consistent Crash - Help!

Associate
Hey people,
I bought an AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB card a while back to play the ME:A Early access thingie and the game used to lock up and crash after a few minutes of play. I put it down to either the game being a little buggy, or the fact that my card upgrade only pulled me up to the minimum specs required and it was struggling. I then didn't play any PC games for a couple of months and then a few weeks ago I wanted to play Cities: Skylines. I booted it up and played for around half an hour before the game hung for a short time and crashed. I don't honestly remember quite how that crash went down. I hadn't saved so just forgot it. I then bought Darkest Dungeon last week and now that extremely consistently locks up within 30 seconds of loading a game up. I can't figure out the cause. Like I've said some games have run fine for a short time and then crashed. Darkest Dungeon is so bad I can barely get a combat input done before it crashes, and a few other games seem to run fine indefinitely. Shovel Knight hasn't crashed and Dolphin Emulator, which feels like it should be the most likely to kill my GPU runs fine for hours on end.

Every time what seems to happen is the game locks up, but the audio continues unfussed. after about 5 seconds of lock my monitor goes black for a second, all the while the game audio continues like nothing has happened, and then my monitor wakes back up and I can no longer see the game. The game's custom cursor remains and I can't shift window focus away from the game. Full screen games turn transparent so I can see my desktop and any open windows behind the game, but can't interact with them as window focus is stuck on the invisible game. I tried running windowed and all that happens instead is the whole game window goes white after the monitor goes off and on. The music keeps playing as if the game is still running fine. I get no error messages and if I can close the game (If the Task manager isn't stuck behind the game) my PC continues as normal with the only weird thing being that if I try to open Radeon settings panel it crashes straight away first time and then opens normally the next time I open it.

As I said, i was playing darkest dungeon, which isn't exactly GPU intensive, but I monitored my power and temperature levels via the AMD GPU monitoring program and it all looks normal. I tried limiting the clock and the power usage on the card as much as the program allows to see if running the card further from maximum output helps but it makes no difference.

I have emailed back and forth with AMD and they have gone through my DXDIAG files and suggested using a program to remove all graphics drivers and reinstall them, which I have done to no avail. They are now suggesting pulling the card and testing it in a PC I know works, but I don't have another PC to test it in. They have suggested taking it to a PC repair shop and getting them to test the card, but I thought i'd ask on here first to see if any of you lovely experts have any insight or suggestions. It really feels like specifically a graphics driver issue, since the games don't actually seem to be crashing, as the sound keeps playing, it's just that I can't see them. I don't know if Darkest Dungeon runs on an engine that is causing the issue, or what :/

I don't know what info you might need, but like I said, it's an AMD Radeon RX 460 2Gb card, and my mobo is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r. Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7 930 2.80GHz overclocked to 4.01GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM. Windows is up to date and the Display drivers are at the current recommended version.

Thanks peeps!

Soldato
What PSU is it? What GPU did you have before?

Dolphin emulator is more CPU intensive if I remember correctly, unless that's been changed over the years.

Use DDU to clear all GPU drivers, then try installing the latest ones from the AMD site again.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply!

It's a 600W PSU. I used one of those power calculators and it looked like I had a good 100-150W unused overhead. I was on a 560 GTX 1Gb before that. You're most likely right about Dolphin actually, so yeah, disregard that then haha.
AMD suggested I used DDU to clear the drivers off and pointed me to their recommended driver, so I've already given that a go (running DDU in Safe Mode as recommended) and it doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Soldato
What is the exact model of the PSU? As a cheap 600W PSU usually doesn't have enough power on the 12v rails. Although saying that, the GTX 560 was a 150W with a 6 pin connector, the RX 460 usually is just powered by the internal PCIe slot, so it shouldn't be straining your PSU more.

Could try another PCIe slot?

Associate
do you have anything overclocked? other specs - also there should be logs you can look at to see which program is causing the crashing; I've seen lots of different things crash out games and such - not just gpus ;)

Associate
OP
Yeah, like I said, my CPU is overclocked. It's a pre-set Overclockers Overclocked bundle from a few years ago, so I trust that the overclock is stable. If I knew where to find these logs that'd be really helpful if you have any insight. Like I said I get no error codes or messages popping up so that's half the reason I'm having trouble diagnosing it.

Soldato
Yeah, like I said, my CPU is overclocked. It's a pre-set Overclockers Overclocked bundle from a few years ago, so I trust that the overclock is stable. If I knew where to find these logs that'd be really helpful if you have any insight. Like I said I get no error codes or messages popping up so that's half the reason I'm having trouble diagnosing it.

Your CPU is getting on a bit and your CPU overclock may not be stable (overtime overclock can slowly degrade components as capacitors have more electricity going through them) so take a note of your overclock settings in the motherboard and set to default. Better yet gigabyte boards are normally dual bios which will allow you to save the overclock settings on one bios and then run stock settings on the 2nd bios, read the manual to locate the bios switch.

If this doesn't work try updating the 2nd bios to the latest one. A clean install of Windows wouldn't hurt either as it would rule out software conflicts.

Associate
OP
That may be a good shout Soldato, i'll look in to trying that out. My install of windows is pretty fresh so hopefully it's not that. Ill look into the dual bios and turning off the overclock. Thanks very much.

EDIT: The DualBIOS I have isn't on a switch but it saves CMOS profiles to a backup BIOS so I saved my overclock and then restored all my CPU and Voltage changes to Fail-safe defaults. I was just about to come on here and say "IT WORKED!!!" because Darkest Dungeon had been running fine for a couple of minutes which is a record, but then it did the exact same lock up again as I was about to start typing...

Last edited:
Associate
That may be a good shout Soldato, i'll look in to trying that out. My install of windows is pretty fresh so hopefully it's not that. Ill look into the dual bios and turning off the overclock. Thanks very much.

EDIT: The DualBIOS I have isn't on a switch but it saves CMOS profiles to a backup BIOS so I saved my overclock and then restored all my CPU and Voltage changes to Fail-safe defaults. I was just about to come on here and say "IT WORKED!!!" because Darkest Dungeon had been running fine for a couple of minutes which is a record, but then it did the exact same lock up again as I was about to start typing...

Most likely the card was DOA. Have you got another pc to test it in?

Back
Top Bottom