New bike time.

Associate
So after having a break from biking for about 4 years I've got the itch to getting myself another. Previous bike was a CBR600 but having getting into a little trouble back then i'm not looking into getting a bike like that but wanting something that would still give me some excitement that would be comparable to that. Having looked around i'm narrowing it down to the er-6n or a bandit budget is a measley 2k at a stretch maybe 2.5k due to insurance but are there any other bikes worth considering as well? Also i'm planning to do a mini road trip for a couple weeks in the summer around France and Spain with the Mrs's on the back (she doesn't know it yet) so would also need to be fairly comfortable for a fairly long period of time. If anyone has personal experience with the bikes above or can recommend any others that would be great!

(ohhh 666 count)

Soldato
You'll get a nice Honda Hornet 600 for that price (much nicer than the ER6 and Bandit). They use the CBR engine slightly detuned, so you've still got that decent bit of power.

Only problem is most nakeds are going to be horrible as a pillion on the back after less than an hour.

Not too sure which bikes in that budget would be comfortable for a pillion really. I've only really seen something like the GS1200 as potentially comfortable for a pillion (even then, it doesn't look that great!).

Last edited:
Soldato
Bias, but I went with a Z750, was favoured amongst group tests at the time, engine is a peach, I commute 40miles a day on mine all year round.

Edit, yer pillion on any naked ain't pretty for long periods I guess, depends how long though and realistically how often. I wouldn't narrow my choice down for the once in a blue moon occasion or trip personally.

Caporegime
should be abkle to get a 5th maybe 6th gen vfr for 2-2.5k great 2 up comfort adn just genreal great all round bikes.

if you had a bigger budget maybe a z1000sx

Soldato
should be abkle to get a 5th maybe 6th gen vfr for 2-2.5k great 2 up comfort adn just genreal great all round bikes.

if you had a bigger budget maybe a z1000sx
This.

£2k will get a nice 5th gen VFR 800, they'll do touring with ease and pillion comfort is good too, they're not the quickest handling but they're damn stable, the own downside is they're heavy - but that only matters when moving it around by hand.

I got a 23k mile 2000 model for £1900, great condition and will do it all.

Associate
Another vote for the VFR if you're taking the missus and going touring. Decent bit of go and handles well enough to be good fun on your own. If your other half isn't happy it won't matter how fast or pretty it is, you'll not be having a good time.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm very intrigued in the vfr now looks quite sporty and comfortable for 2 and the only downside I can see is that there isn't anywhere for luggage with the exception of a hard back box because of the exhaust. Does anyone know what the reliability/servicing costs can be on these or if there are any nasty surprises that can pop up and be aware of? I'm guessing with it being Honda getting a high mileage example wouldn't be an issue? I. E would it be better getting a new generation with high mileage or vice versa?

Soldato
You can get loads of panniers for them, and top boxes, luggage won't be an issue.

With your budget get a 5th gen (99-2001), pre-vtec model and try to get a HISS model (with the HISS immobiliser around the key hole) as these have stainless exhaust downpipes, automatic fast idle and a few other improvements (lighter clutch etc). Changing the mild steel pipes is a horrbile job so either get a HISS model or one that's had them done already.

Reliability - they go for miles. 40k seems to be the average mileage and that's only just run in, they'll do 100k miles no problem. if you can, get one with lower miles but buy on condition. I had the choice of a 35k one owner mint (and I mean mint!) non-HISS model for £2k or a 23k miles 95% as mint 2000 HISS model for £1900, didn't take me long to find it either. Servcing I'd say do your own, oil/filter/spark plugs are easy.

Here's my one:

Tank range is 200 miles, more on a longer run. I've been getting about 47mpg commuting, with the fuel guage flashing reserve (3.5l left) at 160ish miles, however on my current tank I did over 100 miles of motorway and I'm on 173 miles so far and it's still got 2 or 3 bars left, so that's probably 220+ miles out of this tank.

Stick a can on it and they sound awesome, with my 350mm delkivic it sounds rumbly and you get the V4 characteristic 'lumpy' idle, and above 7k rpm it sounds even better and goes even better :D

Any questions please ask, I've only done 1500 miles on mine so far but it's a great bike. Just one thing to be aware of, with the decent fairing they do cruise VERY easily at speed... ;) it's easy to look down and realise you're sitting at 80/90 and it feels like 60... :D But that also makes them excellent touring machines.

Caporegime
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm very intrigued in the vfr now looks quite sporty and comfortable for 2 and the only downside I can see is that there isn't anywhere for luggage with the exception of a hard back box because of the exhaust. Does anyone know what the reliability/servicing costs can be on these or if there are any nasty surprises that can pop up and be aware of? I'm guessing with it being Honda getting a high mileage example wouldn't be an issue? I. E would it be better getting a new generation with high mileage or vice versa?

The 5th gen has a traditional side exhaust.

The pre vetch one, 98-01 has gear driven cams too which are just so childishly fun.

Mileage wise there's one swith 150k+ going strong.

The vetch models (ones with under seat exhaust) can have a very pricey valve clearance check. The non vetch 5th gems it's not too bad though

Associate
OP
So i've checked MCN as that was where i got my bike from before and they all seem to be pricing themselves a lot high compared to that of autotrader.

So i've narrowed it down to these three bikes.

The below example is of a high mileage (46k miles) but a 55 plate but the mid section looks a little worse for wear/rusty (or burn marks?). Looks to be in ok/good condition

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...F&postcode=cr37ya&radius=50&make=HONDA&page=1

This one is a lot cheaper slightly less mileage but older however looks to be in better condition judging by the pictures.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...F&postcode=cr37ya&radius=50&make=HONDA&page=1

But MY FAVOURITE by far is this. Looks to be in near mint condition and really like the red paint like yours TallPaul.

Are there any other websites worth checking out either?

(Edit: there are a very limited amount of pre vtecs out there as well and ones that i have found for the same amount you can get a new model.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom