How much effect will an SSD really have?

Soldato
i know we been down this road before, but payday Friday and for my first month I am getting more than I expected, so thinking if i have enough spare after bills I might treat myself to an SSD for my laptop, but for how old it is(sig) will any really make that much of a difference to warrant the cost be it new or used?

I had a 120gb Kingston in an old inspiron 1501 and despite dual core Athlon, 3gb ram and ati express 1150 graphics it didn't seem as quick as I expected from the hype, was a used drive mind, but I don't really do much with my laptop other than music,browse when I have time, haven't been bothered to play the array of games I've put on it, had it a weekend before the new job and just no real time for it lol, I behave over 150gb left of 250gb so a big drive be nice, but I could probably buy a better laptop for the cost of an ssd....

Soldato
Massive
/Thread

/Reopen thread
I've just ordered another Samsung 850. This time from a competitor. I've not done that in such a long time.. But it was £50 cheaper.

Man of Honour
On my laptop:

Boot times 40-45 seconds with just HDD, ~19 seconds with hybrid, ~11 seconds proper SSD.
Application and game load times were around 20-30% faster with the hybrid setup but could be 150-300% faster with the SSD

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Wow that is an unbelievably wimpy laptop. An SSD will be a massive improvement, but you are still hampered by the incredibly slow CPU.

Associate
Games such as Battlefield 1 and Arma 3 are unplayable on HDD in my experience. Lots of stutter, thankfully Rising Storm 2 Vietnam is perfectly fine on HDD or I would be having withdrawels right now.

Associate
i remember the 1st time i went to ssd and i could not believe the difference, not just loading into windows but just general use. i could never go back to using a mechanical hdd.

ive noticed on games that you can tell the guys who dont have an ssd as you can be sitting waiting for a good 45-60 seconds minimum waiting for players to load into the game

Soldato
For OS I'd recommend it. Just go for a smaller capacity drive, save a bit of money. Still using 64GB and until OS's are close to 64GB can't see point in getting bigger one.

For games it's fine on regular WD Black, although some games would be worthile, loading times on X-Plane are unbearable.

Soldato
I put one in my old Lenovo x100e laptop and it barely made a difference. On my main pc, it's the BIOS screen rather than Windows booting that takes the most amount of time.

Think it depends.

When I've used brothers laptop which has a 2.5" regular HD it's painfull slow.

But I used a 2.5" regular HD in a desktop HTPC for a while because it's silent and low power, and it was pretty nippy. Just windows boot up a bit slow, but once it's in, it wasn't bad.

Soldato
3GB is fine, wont be the issue

its the old CPU , athlon. it take much longer times to process things, especially on newer OS

edit:, and the motherboard as well. bus speed between CPU and memory RAM will incredible slow

Soldato
I added one to a 2008 Acer with a Dual Core in it and it's great for use for browsing internet, updating GPS and 720p video, I can even game on games from around 2002.

Man of Honour
Sure, if you like plenty of pagefile activity. Anyway, he's talking about the spec in his sig.

Depends what you do - I use a couple of Windows tablets with 2GB of RAM and never hit pagefile with average web browsing and some light desktop use.

Soldato
Depends what you do - I use a couple of Windows tablets with 2GB of RAM and never hit pagefile with average web browsing and some light desktop use.

As above, I purchased a cheap win tablet because it was cheap and would do for car diagnostics/ap duties while on holiday (they charged per wifi device so I re-shared for the family), it 'only' had 2GB but I was genuinely surprised how efficient windows has become on low end systems.

Soldato
OP
3GB is fine, wont be the issue

its the old CPU , athlon. it take much longer times to process things, especially on newer OS

edit:, and the motherboard as well. bus speed between CPU and memory RAM will incredible slow

thanks for reply, but if that was a reply to my system then i dont have an amd, not anymore, my laptop has a pentium dual core T3200 and the laptop doesnt take more than 4gb unless theres some secret bios update like on the inspiron 1501 allowing up to 8gb, it runs win 10 well.

Soldato
OP
Wow that is an unbelievably wimpy laptop. An SSD will be a massive improvement, but you are still hampered by the incredibly slow CPU.

lol it was £45 of wimpy, but i sold my mid gaming tower and urgently needed something still for write ups for work at the time, for what it is it isnt bad, better than an E300 apu I had earlier in the year, has hdmi, that 8200m g plays my h.264 BD movie files fine, plays some older games fine, runs a few tabs at once fine even with itunes running, for a straight 2ghz 2c2t processor its good, i dont get to use it often, so is ideal.

however my inspiron 1501 was worse than this and in poor shape however the used 120gb ssd kingston v300 barely made a difference for its hype and i had win 7 on it which is why i made this thread, dont want to waste money on another ssd of whatever type for the same 'meh' reaction.

Back
Top Bottom