looking for a 24" Gaming Monitor

Associate
Hi all,

My cousin's monitor has died today and he has asked me to recommend him a 24" monitor, although it can be up to 27" depending if there is a decent one that falls within budget.

I know he mainly plays mmorpgs like final fantasy XIV and doesn't really play fps.
He doesn't care if it's a TN or IPS panel

Hardware wise, all I know is that he currently has a Nvidia 770 card and is looking for 1440 res.

His budget is up to £400.

Any of you can help with some recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Associate
Is your cousin intending to upgrade his GPU soon? A GTX 770 would struggle a lot at 1440p.

If he still wanted a 1440p monitor, I would recommend the AOC AGON AG241 or Dell S2417DG. These monitors are the nearest thing I would consider for around £400, as they are high-refresh rate, g-sync, low response time and ofcourse are 1440p. You can get a lot higher cheaper monitors than these if a high-refresh rate is not of importance to your cousin.

Also, I would recommend upgrading the GPU before buying a monitor in any case, to atleast a GTX 1070 if he wants to play a 1440p.

Last edited:
Soldato
If 24" go for 1080p
If 27" go for 1440p

Dont go for 27" 1080p it'll look pretty bad, too low PPI.

Ideally go for g-sync. And 144hz.

You may be able to get one of those but not all for £400, ie 27", 1440p, 144hz, gsync highly unlikely.
Otherwise you could go for a 24" 144hz, 1080p, freesync monitor and just use the 144hz feature but no "GPU-specific sync" just regular v-sync.

TN is typically best for gaming, but poor colours typically 6 bit panels, and poor off axis angles and changes in colour. Good blacks and even backlight
VA is inbetween TN and IPS. Good blacks, good contrast, but may have ghosting/
IPS is best for colour and viewing angle, but suffers from IPS glow, uneven backlight, and not the fastest response.

You also have a choice of UW too.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
He doesn't really play graphically intense games. It's mainly final fantasy. I believe that in time he will be looking to upgrade the 770 but for now he wants to get a decent monitor.
I have told him that 1080p at 27" is a no no.

I think he is going to go for the AOC AG241QG, as that has g-sync.
Thanks for the recommendations

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom