• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to replace fans on Asus Dual 1070

rn2

rn2

Associate
I have an Asus Dual 1070 8GB OC graphics card, The fans make the usual noise when they speed up but there's an annoying low tonal revving noise too, I took the card apart to see what make the fans are, they are power logic brushless fans, but I have seen some ever flow hydro fans online for sale and apparently hydro fans are the quietness and longest lasting, I am looking for quietness though, I don't want to have to take the card apart again if I don't have to but if I have to so be it, I just wondered how these fans are connected as I didn't look last time I opened it.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
P.S. I sent it back once and they gave a refund and so I bought the same card again, the noise was the same last time but just louder, hence why I am going down the fan replacement route.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Sucks because the guy at the store where I got it from said he can't as they are made to order, I took it apart now anyway so it's void, I will look into getting two fans and connect them to a splitter. I am just wondering why one fan doesn't have a tachometer wire connection through the extension.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I was super annoyed by the fan noise on this card too, so I replaced them with Noctua Redux 92's. It's now basically silent whether idle or under load, fan speed is down by 4-500 RPM under load and temps are down by about 8-10C under normal gaming load. It doesn't look pretty, but I really dont care about that.

The shroud comes off with just 6 or 7 screws that are immediately accessible on the back of the card. After removing the shroud it was kinda obvious there was a problem, the fans themselves are sitting quite far from the heatsink and their blades are tiny. Plus the shroud is riddled with holes, so static pressure on the heatsink isn't really kept up.

It's a simple replacement. Just get a pwm fan adapter for graphics cards (Gelid makes one), a pwm fan splitter cable (included with many Noctua retail fans), and two pwm fans to your liking. I went with Noctua Redux 1600 RPM ones, but I've never seen them spin that high yet, and they do shut off completely when idle like the stock ones. I was initially going to try with 120mm fans, but even the 92mm ones are kinda oversized for the heatsink (which is really simple and crappy btw, but works ok with the new fans).

By the way, the reason the second fan doesn't have the tachometer wire is then they would both be reporting speed on the same lead, which would not work. Now one is reporting it's speed, and they are both controlled based on that, so they run at identical speeds anyway. Any splitter cable will be the same.

Assembled result below - currently just held together with bag ties and cotton string, while I was testing whether it was worth it. It is definitely worth it, so I will be replacing the cotton wire with more durable mounting, probably zip ties. I chose to use the mounting holes that are now available after removing the shroud instead of trying to wrap something around the heatsink itself. Seemed to work well.

Wpp1w9M.jpg

Gaming load before replacement (used For Honor in 1440p resolution to tax the GPU a considerable amount)
26rfxHD.png

Gaming load after replacement
oYacMav.png

Max load in Furmark - still can't hear the card outside the case. The stock fans were going ballistic during a similar test, but I dont have screenshots from before. They were around 1800 rpm and unbearably loud.
55P43eh.png

Associate
oh my word, thats a Mcguyver job on your gpu, go to ali express and get the original fans, hell you can buy the original cooler if you add a bit more.

Associate
McGyver is probably right :p I warned it isn't pretty, but after a few weeks of running it, it is SO much better than the stock setup. It's much cooler and whisper quiet. The stock fans are LOUD when they go over 12-1300 RPM.

It does require some flow in the case, though, as the removed shroud was directing at least some of the hot air outside, and now it just kinda sits there. That means the case gets quite a lot warmer if the flow isn't adequate to begin with (and mine wasn't - had never really had the need to fix it). I added an extra exhaust fan to ensure negative pressure, and it's all good. I run at about 66C now on the GPU while playing graphics intensive games, and no effects on prolonged case temps.

I should add that removing the shroud does NOT require you to break any warranty seals, so as long as you keep the heatsink in place, you should be all good to swap it back in case something happens.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Hey Krakadoom, I didn't realise my thread would get more replies, since I started this thread I started to forget about the noise until recently when I began playing a new GPU demanding game, I am thinking of doing exactly what you have done, seeing we have the same card?

I did find some everflow GPU fans online which fit and was hoping they would be quieter than these obvious crappy power logic stock fans, I have not ordered them yet as they are £20 each and from Hong Kong so if I have to return because they make a similar noise, it will be just a big waste of time.

Do your new "McGyver" fans rattle or vibrate? I imagined they might at high speeds if they can only be tied together?

Also...

I have 2 vertical case fans on the side, one is blowing air onto the GPU whilst the other is blowing air onto the motherboard and CPU above the gpu, I have one extractor fan and room for no more but it sits above the gpu, so I was wondering if you think it would be enough just to flip the lower side case fan the other way around to extract the air away from the gpu? it would be one less fan blowing air into the case but as well as the one above it, there is also a fan at the front of the case.

I have bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PWM-4pin-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I don't think I need to buy anything else now if I do this other than the fans and cable ties right?

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I just ordered two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noctua-NF-B9-REDUX-92mm-PWM-1600RPM-Quiet-Case-Fan/272693764527?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-PWM-to-2-x-4-Pin-PWM-Power-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-CPU-Fan-33cm/263022806518?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and one of these as a second little exhaust fan at the bottom of the rear, right under the gpu http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evercool-70mm-7cm-70-x-70-x-15mm-PWM-12-Volt-PC-case-Fan-EC7015H12EP/390657940620?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I might use some gorilla glue to fix it to the base of the little ridge just behind the slots at the rear.

My warranty is void (my stupid mistake) and the card itself is only 5 months old but the noise is driving me crazy, I could buy similar fans but these fans just seem to be the answer.

Associate
Well I'm glad it was useful - at least for inspiration. I had fun doing it was the main point ;) It's actually still just tied together with cotton string and twisties - it worked, so why bother.

As for vibration, there is none. Whatsoever - even if I jack them up to max speed. I had some small felt discs laying around (small version of the kind you'd stick under furniture), so I stuck a few between the fans before I tied them together, making sure the hard plastic bits don't touch eachother, and one under the center of each fan to make sure nothing touched the heatsink (you can see them between and under the fans in the top pic).

It works great. The fan assembly doesn't touch the metal of the heatsink at all and there is no vibration (not that there is much from Noctua fans to begin with). I suspect you might be able to use sturdy double sided tape or any other insulator with similar results.

I would not throw money at replacing the stock fans with the same type of (slim) high RPM fan. There are two main problems with the stock cooler. First, the heatsink is quite simple and low grade, not that many heat pipes so heat dissipation is generally poor. This means you need great airflow to compensate. Second, the fans are very slim and therefore unable to generate any decent static pressure over the heatsink without running at quite high RPM. These two combined yield a really not very good cooler.

I think you'll have the same problem again if you replace the stock fans with new slim fans - even better quality ones. That's the main reason I went all out and replaced them with good 25 mm fans. The Strix card has a much better heatsink, so it can get away with these pretty crappy fans. Anyway, you went with the Noctuas anyway, good on ya ;)

As for your airflow and other fans, that's really a case by case thing. I would do the mod, then try different configurations for the case fans inverting one fan at a time, and seeing what performance you get. If you have front intake fans and rear exhaust, your side fans may actually do more harm than good. You might also try removing the one blowing on the motherboard (seems overkill), and blocking off the hole entirely. It could well be disrupting the flow through the case. It depends entirely on where your components are in the case, and what kind of case it is.

Your adapter looks right to me - so yeah just some stuff to mount the new fans.

Don't mount the 70 mm fan until you try running without it (those small ones are noisy as hell). You may not need it if you optimize your other fans properly, and small changes can have significant results. I found that moving one of my intakes and adding another standard 120 mm exhaust solved all my issues with hot zones around the GPU.

Associate
I'm loving the ghetto mod, just ordered the Gelid fan adapter and 2 x 92mm PWM Noctua fans. I have a Palit Dual and the fans on it can ramp up sometimes. This should be a little bit quieter and cool slightly better.

Nice one Krakadoom :cool:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Thank you for the extra tips! I see you have started a bit of a trend as heatonpkmassive is going to do it too ha!

I read somewhere else that side case fans are bad, I am not sure why as they blow air in but I guess it is because they blow the air around the case rather than to the back, anyway, I may turn them around so they are also exhaust fans which means that there will only be one intake fan at the front, it is a CIT vantage case and I don't think I can install a second intake fan, I will post a picture of the inside of my rig tomorrow if I remember.

About the side fans, I may turn the bottom one to withdraw air away from the gpu and leave the top one as an intake, a bit of push and pull rather than only having one intake fan at the front doing all the work? I definitely need a second exhaust with these noctua fans and my GPU being at the bottom of the rig.

Anyway I am looking forward to doing this.

Associate
Thank you for the extra tips! I see you have started a bit of a trend as heatonpkmassive is going to do it too ha!

I've done it this evening :D

And it looks remarkable similar to Krakadoom's. I ordered the Gelid adapter and Noctua fans and it all arrived today. When I had the Palit fans on, max temp when gaming was about 72-73c with a lot of noise. Now it's increased slightly to 74-75c but oh so quiet. I'll take that over a couple of celcius less and sounding like a wind turbine!

Nice one Krakadoom :cool:

Associate
About the side fans, I may turn the bottom one to withdraw air away from the gpu and leave the top one as an intake, a bit of push and pull rather than only having one intake fan at the front doing all the work? I definitely need a second exhaust with these noctua fans and my GPU being at the bottom of the rig.
Your results with that might not be so good. You basically have to plan in a way that the air enters the case on one side of the components you want to cool, and exits on the other side. If you do one intake and one exchaust next to eachother, they'll more likely just loop the air between then without any really getting to any of the components.

As for the side fans, the reason they can be a problem is that they disrupt the airflow in most normal cases which goes from front-bottom to back-top. Just imagine a stream or river, if you suddenly add a pipe pumping a large volume of water in from one side, you'll create a lot of vortices, irregular flow and still water. Which is bad for cooling cos it requires constant airflow.

Associate
could you not just put a cheap AIO cooler on there?
I think if you could get one where the pipes enter from the side it might work?

I managed to watercool mine with a cheapo gpu block and still use the stock fans and shroud altho had to cut out the ASUS logo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom