• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to replace fans on Asus Dual 1070

Associate
You absolutely could do that. For me the AIO cooler pipes are too short to reach the rear exhaust fan mount though, so it wouldn't work without modding anyway. And you would have to deal with the VRMs separately. And it would be overall more expensive.

Besides water coolers only really move the heat from one place to another in a case, you still have to use fans to dissipate it, so I'm not really sold on the concept unless you need much higher cooling performance - which I don't.

I did look at the Kraken G12 bracket to use a stock AIO CPU cooler instead, but, well, same issues listed above - and the G12 is hard to find in shops.

Personally I just wanted it to be silent, cool and cheap, and on those three parameters combined I think it was the best option.

Associate
hey if its working that's great,and cheap too double bonus :)

I'm getting around 35-40c under 100% load overclocked when benching,the stock fans take care of the vrms at 25% speed which is silent to me,before it was like yours,had to have fans on 50% upwards and very noisy.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I know I started this thread and yet I still have not got around to fitting the fans, I will be doing it and the end of the week as I just bought a new Noctua Tower cooler for my CPU so I will do it all together, I will post the pictures of my GPU after I finish! P.S. I will be removing the side fans to make room for the new CPU tower cooler and may also cover the vents there too. I am still looking for some vibration reducing pads to put between the new GPU fans and between the board and GPU fans.

Would these be safe to put between the fans and gpu? https://www.pgcomputercomponents.co...ack-anti-vibration-silicone-washers-623-p.asp

Last edited:
Associate
If you mean between the fans and the heatsink, I don't see why not. Just be aware that the thicker your insulator material, the bigger the gap between the fans and the heatsink, and the more air pressure on the heatsink you will lose.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
it just looks the same as yours lol, I didn't put the fabric pads in and I cable tied 3 corners and boot laced the fourth as it was so far away to tie down. I ordered the wrong cable, I need a cable that will plug into the small GPU socket from two pwm fans.

I dont know why but there is a lot of sag on this card and it seems more noticeable to me now, I do think I tied the fans on a little tight as the card is bending a little, I'll fix that but the sagging seems to be due to the card weight I think.

https://ibb.co/k6DPYw
https://ibb.co/cJ1HmG

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Update, connected the fans to the motherboard and didn't realise until I played about in BIOS again that you can turn them off before they get to a certain temp. Re attached cableties as they were a bit tight. Still waiting for the cable to attach the fans to the GPU but is perfect for now! I also bought a noctua case fan to replace the cheaper exhaust fan.

Associate
Personally, I would not connect these to the motherboard fan header. I would go out and get that Gelid adapter and have your fans running off the graphics card sensor. The motherboard sensor might not pick up an increase in temperature as quickly the one on the card itself, meaning the fans won't ramp up as quickly as they should. Adapter is literally a few quid to buy, I can't link to competitors here, but a quick Google has just brought one up for £3.19.

Edit: I see you've ordered the adapter, I'd just keep an eye on card temps until it arrives. Once you have it, you can control your fans through Afterburner.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Yes , I'll probably stick to games that I have frame rates capped on and the internet for now, I'll keep an eye on temps through MSI and lower the temps to fan speed in BIOS if needed. I had to order a cable for two fans and as far as I can see, I could only buy it from a couple of places online, its coming from another country so it should be here by the end of next week, I paid just under £10 for it.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I have spent a while testing games with temperatures but I noticed I am getting coil whine if that's possible? from the PSU, it changes with mouse movement in game, I was adamant that the noise was coming from the GPU and that I damaged it but a lot of the noise is coming from the PSU so I may have to buy a new PSU? Am I right in saying that it can effect coil whine in the GPU if it's playing up? It's a 730Watt Be quiet 80 Plus bronze. It's been in there for three years but only started making this noise a while ago, it went but now it's back, perhaps after installing the new fans, maybe not.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Unfortunately some games require higher frame rates to reduce input lag but the whine is noticable with or without that cap in place, all be it a lit less noticeable with a capped frame rate, there are two noises which change when i move the mouse in a game. I can leave it and just ignore the noise until it gets worse but it just defeats the object of me replacing the cpu cooler, GPU fans and case fans with noctua ones.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
McGyver is probably right :p I warned it isn't pretty, but after a few weeks of running it, it is SO much better than the stock setup. It's much cooler and whisper quiet. The stock fans are LOUD when they go over 12-1300 RPM.

It does require some flow in the case, though, as the removed shroud was directing at least some of the hot air outside, and now it just kinda sits there. That means the case gets quite a lot warmer if the flow isn't adequate to begin with (and mine wasn't - had never really had the need to fix it). I added an extra exhaust fan to ensure negative pressure, and it's all good. I run at about 66C now on the GPU while playing graphics intensive games, and no effects on prolonged case temps.

I should add that removing the shroud does NOT require you to break any warranty seals, so as long as you keep the heatsink in place, you should be all good to swap it back in case something happens.

For anyone who is watching this thread I tried it in my most demanding game, 93% GPU usage without an exhaust fan and the gpu temp very slowly just keeps rising with the newly fitted gpu fans at 100% RPM (obvious when you are just blowing hot air around the case).

Put an exhaust fan in and the temperature gets to 70% and stays there at the same GPU usage, the fans still reach 100% RPMs though, I think maybe because they are not static pressure fans they don't work quite as well, my results are not so good but at least they just about do the trick with the exhaust fan installed and are quieter even at 100% RPM.

Associate
I think maybe because they are not static pressure fans they don't work quite as well, my results are not so good but at least they just about do the trick with the exhaust fan installed and are quieter even at 100% RPM.

I'm also thinking I might be better off with a couple of static pressure fans. Mine sits around 75c when gaming, which is a little warm for my liking. Quiet as a mouse though. I'm contemplating going out in a bit and getting a couple of Corsair SP120 PWM fans and seeing what they do. They push more air than the Noctuas but obviously with the trade off that they'll be louder. That said, I don't have to run them at full pelt with them being PWM.

If I do get some SP120s, I'll come back here and let you know the results. Some would say not necessary as 75c isn't dangerously warm, but I like my electronic components to run as cool as possible.

Back
Top Bottom