Retina displays?

Soldato
I'm trying to decide between a new iMac(27" retina) or MB pro with external monitor for my home office but I can't find an external retina display... Do Apple even cater to such a market now? How do the old Thunderbolt displays(now discontinued, I believe?) stack up?

My view is that the MB pro is capable enough and gives me more freedom(meetings, couch etc) but I do like a large display and sit mostly at my desk. I already have a 2012 MB pro but it's not retina, so would be an upgrade.

I took my home iMac(27" retina) + monitors into my new office when we first moved in and I've been lugging it home every weekend ever since. It's getting annoying now so I need to stop being a tight arse and get a new setup :p

Thoughts welcome?

Soldato
They are going to make a new TB Display (almost certainly 5K) but it won't be out until they release the redesigned Mac Pro next year. Until then your only real option for a 5K external display is the LG but it's been plagued with issues.

Associate
I use a 34" 1440p Ultrawide as my main monitor and whilst it is far from "Retina", it isn't something I miss significantly in day to day use.
At 3440 x 1440 you get a massive amount of real estate and side-by-side windows is a dream on ultrawide
I'd say it is certainly worth considering over the LG 5K display

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

I've since checked out the LG 5k and I'm not convinced by it. Mixed reviews out there. It's not really much of a looker either - not that I'm overly concerned with aesthetics, I use an acer alongside my current iMac but for the price, I'd want something a bit more special.

I use a 34" 1440p Ultrawide as my main monitor and whilst it is far from "Retina", it isn't something I miss significantly in day to day use.
At 3440 x 1440 you get a massive amount of real estate and side-by-side windows is a dream on ultrawide
I'd say it is certainly worth considering over the LG 5K display

Thanks for the suggestion. I've not seen one up close yet but I'm going to check one out later in the week. Which brand are you using? Is it matte or gloss?

Associate
You can always get a "small" 4K display. I run a 24" 4K Samsung screen. It supports retina scaling, has good colours and is nice in every other way, except that with newest Macbooks you'll need a USB-C - Display-port adapter. Those are cheap on Amazon.

Can't compete on aesthetics though, so if you value that your options are limited.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I run 2 4k LG ultrafines with my 13" tbMBP and they are fantastic displays. Personally I think the 4k and5k displays from LG are beautiful. Simple and beautiful design. 90% of monitors look horrible to me. Look like a 15 year old buy designed them to look "cool".

Associate
I run 2 4k LG ultrafines with my 13" tbMBP and they are fantastic displays. Personally I think the 4k and5k displays from LG are beautiful. Simple and beautiful design. 90% of monitors look horrible to me. Look like a 15 year old buy designed them to look "cool".

I agree with the LG recommendation my 27UD69 was just what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom