Triple movie car driving experience

Soldato
Has anyone done one of these gift days driving movie cars around:

https://www.buyagift.co.uk/driving-...-special-offer-br-10260692.aspx#product_tabs2

My main concern, is this going to be a proper drive around seeing what the car can do or would you have an employee stuck next to you telling you off if you go above 40mph.

I don't think 3 miles in each car is really enough but it's just a taster session.

I love that they advertise a video and photo viewing session free of charge, which, means an up sell and "we delete the photos after today" pressure selling.

Associate
My main concern, is this going to be a proper drive around seeing what the car can do or would you have an employee stuck next to you telling you off if you go above 40mph.

I don't think 3 miles in each car is really enough but it's just a taster session.

Well for £63 what do you expect? 3 miles is a couple of laps so you're not really going to get that into it. But for the money its certainly not a bad deal. £21 per car to have a real experience of some pretty cool cars. You can sit in a Charger and discover how big and awfully handling they are, get into the supra and drive one of the coolest cars of the 90s then take the GTR out and see what real performance is about. Sounds like fun :). If you want some real seat time go for something like a single seater experiences at silverstone or a half day session somewhere, although they will cost a fair bit more.

Soldato
You won't be able to rev them, gear changes will be shouted out to you by the instructor nice and early (say 4krpm) and you won't get to test any real handling. Also forget accelerating out of corners, you'll have to be well out of the corner and completely straight before you're allowed to give it some throttle.

Had one in a Lambo Murci and he even used the throttle cut off button at one point when I'd come out of the corner and started feeding in the throttle before absolutely straight.

He did happily let me do an extra lap on the outskirts of the track for those competent to do high speed runs. 160mph was nice :D

Soldato
OP
that's my issue, it's not the distance or the cars, is the fact that i don't want to be stuck behind the wheel of a 650bhp GTR and have to drive it like a VW Polo.

I'd be more disappointed with that than not driving it at all. :(

Wife thinks i am being very ungrateful as it was a little birthday gift, and i get what she's saying, but the GTR is one of my dream cars, and I want to really drive it not walk away disappointed it was limited to what I could do in it.

Soldato
I did a day and drove a GTR and a Gallardo. I wasn't allowed to rev very high but still got up to some serious speeds, the GTR was still super fast, the lambo felt like I needed to be at higher revs to get more out of it. I got to push hard through the corners though and the guy was happy to let me and encourage me. Was fairly good but I did really want to use the full power.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Why do they offer a supercar experience if they don't let you use it as a supercar? Baffles me.

The tyres, simply put. They are run on low end tyres and most people aren't able to catch a slide / don't know how to cope with one, especially in a car which for 99% of those going to these sort of days will be 5x or more powerful than what they are used to.

Last one I went to told the guy I had a GTR and id be putting all the power down soon as it hit the apex of the corners, he said it was fine as long as I didnt get out of shape, but he warned me as above, the tyres are not anything premium.

Man of Honour
Why do they offer a supercar experience if they don't let you use it as a supercar? Baffles me.

Because people seem prepared to pay loads of money to trundle around in a semi decent car for 3 minutes and get a selfie for Facebook. Why wouldn't they do it like this?

Associate

Because 99% of people doing these will have little to no experience. It takes hundreds of hours to learn how to really push a car around a track, let alone a 650hp one that you've never driven before. I'm sure if you turn up and say I've got x amount of hours of track time in a 911 they will let you open the taps a little more.

Soldato
I did one of these as a gift - got to drive the Fast and Furious Skyline "GTR" (wasn't a real GTR - GTT in fancy dress)

They had taped over the tach so couldn't see the red line and the guy kept telling me off for exploring the rev range. In total I would not say its worth it. The day, the time, the cost etc just didn't seem worth the hassle in the end.

Soldato
I've only did one car experience but that was in a single seater which I would recommend over supercars where they sit next to you. Obviously they are rev limited and/or have the power turned down to what they usually do. But you can chuck it into the corners and handle them as you like. They are such an experience as well.

Back
Top Bottom