• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti Extreme waterblock won't fit

Soldato
@Gigabyte-Gaming

I am having issues fitting an aorus gtx 1080Ti waterblock by EK to an aorus gtx 1080Ti extreme.

I have put the issue to the incoming bank of components being different on my pcb as they are on the pcb from a few months ago.

This difference is 1mm in height and the EK block design says to use a 1mm thermal pad which for these reasons I cannot fit and the card bends severely.

It will not fit with a 0.5mm pad either. The only thing I can do is use a little bit of thermal paste as they are that close to the block.

My question is do they need active cooling?

Putting paste on every one is likely going to result in a messy pcb when I have to strip it down and clean it in the event of RMA or selling and I don't want it overheating on me.

This is extremely annoying as i have been trying to figure out all day what these components even do.

Older pcb
aorus%20old_zpsrnqgk1oi.jpg

My pcb
aorus%202_zpsphqsoyzu.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried contacting EK, if its the block thats causing the severe bending surely they would be able to assist.

I am awaiting a further reply from EK but I don't think the block is the problem.

The block is designed to fit the card with the smaller components. The updated pcb has different components (in red) which are 1mm taller than the old ones but the cards are sold as identicle with no mention in the instructions.

It seems like it may be another kingpin 980Ti issue again. Gigabyte may have altered something without telling EK.

I also posted this to help others and OCUK as well as I know they do built to order cards including this card and block combo as well.

Soldato
Technically no vendor has to send EK, Phanteks or Alphacool any data etc, Alphacool actually ask buyers to send cards to 3D scan in like my zotac 1060 instead of relying on Cad files .
Don't think the Aorus has been out that long in Ti version to have a second redesign , check their site an should state if model is on Reviews 2.0 like they do more mobos. As I recall only their 1060 and 1080 is on V2. Bit again double check .
Also with waterforce cards out I don't they'll keep 3rd parties 100% aware on anything as it takes from their sales .

Hopefully gigabyte will be able to state if their was a change in design or EK can get back to you on trouble let shoot .
Personally a fan of Phanteks block since you can keep backplate as stock and sync up the LED to the waterblock . Believe they do a Aorus version for pre-order

Soldato
OP
Technically no vendor has to send EK, Phanteks or Alphacool any data etc, Alphacool actually ask buyers to send cards to 3D scan in like my zotac 1060 instead of relying on Cad files .
Don't think the Aorus has been out that long in Ti version to have a second redesign , check their site an should state if model is on Reviews 2.0 like they do more mobos. As I recall only their 1060 and 1080 is on V2. Bit again double check .
Also with waterforce cards out I don't they'll keep 3rd parties 100% aware on anything as it takes from their sales .

Hopefully gigabyte will be able to state if their was a change in design or EK can get back to you on trouble let shoot .
Personally a fan of Phanteks block since you can keep backplate as stock and sync up the LED to the waterblock . Believe they do a Aorus version for pre-order

Just to put it out there. Looks like other people are having a similar issue as me.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1627238/gigabyte-aorus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-owners-thread/1440

It must be a different revision otherwise why would these components be completely different? Not just a different shape but a completely different size height wise to the original. They are 1mm taller.

Plus why should I need to swap my block? I really like the EK blocks and is an absolute pain that it doesn't fit correctly. Especially taking my interest as to why these components on my pcb are different to a card 3 months ago.

Soldato
Just to put it out there. Looks like other people are having a similar issue as me.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1627238/gigabyte-aorus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-owners-thread/1440

It must be a different revision otherwise why would these components be completely different? Not just a different shape but a completely different size height wise to the original. They are 1mm taller.

Plus why should I need to swap my block? I really like the EK blocks and is an absolute pain that it doesn't fit correctly. Especially taking my interest as to why these components on my pcb are different to a card 3 months ago.

Either it's a different version , EK got ahold of CAD files which is never as good as 3D scanning method or that they modified the 1080 version to fit the Ti but it has different VRM used.
Had this talk with Alphacool in why they didn't follow EKs lead in when making a 3rd party block, why didn't they make the 1080 version and list it for the 1070/60 but they said they preferred to scan every model to be 100% and seems Eiswolf needs some serious modelling to work .

Hopefully EK and Gigabyte can shed some light on it

Soldato
OP
Either it's a different version , EK got ahold of CAD files which is never as good as 3D scanning method or that they modified the 1080 version to fit the Ti but it has different VRM used.
Had this talk with Alphacool in why they didn't follow EKs lead in when making a 3rd party block, why didn't they make the 1080 version and list it for the 1070/60 but they said they preferred to scan every model to be 100% and seems Eiswolf needs some serious modelling to work .

Hopefully EK and Gigabyte can shed some light on it

Agreed. It seems like there are 2 pcb designs for the card or it's a slightly new design with different vrm components.

That second picture is actually on the gigabyte website and on the back of the gpu box.

With regards to the card I have fitted it as it is and the entire row of components is just in direct contact with the block itself. I've tested it fully overnight with maximum load and the card is running fine.

I didn't want to mess around returning it and waiting for another card. It is a cracking card under water. 2.1ghz stable.

I can't see it being much of an issue due to where these components make contact it's not in direct contact with the water like the mosfets are.

Still it will be very interesting to find out what gigabyte and EK have to say.

If anything it may help people in the future and may see an updated block or instructions regarding the design change.

Back
Top Bottom