Recent approach to forum moderation has reduced thread quality + fun factor

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

@KNiVES the infraction system is active, but the points system is largely pointless.

Mainly because you can assign 1 point for a warning or 99 points. If the user has many infractions then it's taken in to consideration, rather than the robotic "you've hit 10 points goodbye goodbye" system you'd get if we applied it strictly.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.PNG
    IMG_0529.PNG
    249.7 KB · Views: 49
Caporegime
I get suspended every other week now. I'm used to it.

The place has lost a lot of its sense of humour tbh. That's directly reflected by the current modding team I guess. Very heavy handed as to try and appear better. Still allowed to spew hate towards one social group, but banned for another. Meh, what can ya do? its still fun.

Soldato
It's definitely become a more serious and less jovial place over the years, in part because of how politically correct everything has become. I know a lot of Dons tow the line a bit, and secretly don't believe all the rules they enforce, but they shouldn't live in fear about letting threads play out.

Associate
GD is pretty dull as most of it is political BS or know-it-alls trying to out google one an other. Same faces going in circles about the same **** week in week out.

Example:
Greenfell towers - everyone stopped being armchair politicians and became structrual engineers overnight.

Soldato
GD is pretty dull as most of it is political BS or know-it-alls trying to out google one an other. Same faces going in circles about the same **** week in week out.

Example:
Greenfell towers - everyone stopped being armchair politicians and became structrual engineers overnight.

That was a good one, I actually posted about that in the thread. But it's cool, they have read the health and safety document and wikipedia so totally know what they are on about.
I think the moderation is fine, says it all when it's the same few people complaining about it while the rest are happy with it.

Soldato
this is a very interesting thread, and I have to agree, and of course from only a personal perspective,

I was never a 'here all the time member' but hung around a lot, recently (maybe last few months) I only ever pop in here as force of habit, and I only pop into to see the youtube thread and gif/pictures threads.

then I am gone again, nothing else seem to grab my attention anymore, but again that might be my surfing habits changing, but the place does seem a bit sanitized.

I guess everything changes in time, sometimes good, and sometimes bad, and to be fair I have not noticed any difference in moderation

Permabanned
Babby can't post there erroneous and inane twaddle to some random sub set of internet users.

I'm frankly amazed that more people haven't been permanently banned from here tbh, they get away with absolute murder in regards to trolling/general pig headed ignorance.

Of course, some of it's definitely over the top. I got a strike once for some mildly saucy joke but hey ho, there's some great threads still.

Soldato
I think the mods are doing ok, I don't find the humour here funny so I'm not sorry to see silly threads go if the mods decide to remove them. One thing that would be nice to see are the user notes on my forum account, is that even possible?

Soldato
So what was different when Spie was in the chair? Was there no moderation at all then?
Basically everyone brown-nosed him at every opportunity, massaged his ego and laughed along with the massively racist overtones of the forum at that point. It was a great day when he left. The forum is far better now and the mods are more even handed in the main.

Associate
If you don't raise questions then we can't take on board any criticism you might have. We don't always get it right, but behind the scenes we do discuss a lot of decisions and actions and are critical of ourselves and each other.

Having moderators from different backgrounds and that change over time, there will always be differences in opinion and interpretation of the rules, but on the whole I think we are relatively fair and we do take on board constructive criticism.

Fully aware of this and I do understand what you're all trying to achieve and maintain.

I have seen threads deleted or closed now and then that could have been fun and the reasons given gave me a sense that it was a unilateral decision made by a mod because it wasn't to their personal taste or maybe they weren't in the mood rather than take a step back and let it run if no forum rules are being broken , sure some threads are nonsense drivel but these can have some of the funniest comments and those that don't like it don't have to participate.

Anyways it's not something that affects me that much, just an observation.

I think the same here too. What is the point of saying anything when it comes down to a Mods personal taste / mood etc? They've made up their mind already by acting. Like JBuk though it doesn't really affect me but it is something that I've noticed and whilst it's not often it seems to me to be more often than it has been in the past. Sometimes GD just doesn't seem like GD. I thought anything could be posted in GD even if it is drivel and pointless. Sometimes those threads end up being the entertaining ones and I just think as long as no rules are being broken let the drivel continue. Of course if you have bandwidth issues I can understand why you'd moderate the pointless stuff too. Just seems a tad hypocritical when a mod then goes and posts a pointless thread.

Soldato
Basically everyone brown-nosed him at every opportunity, massaged his ego and laughed along with the massively racist overtones of the forum at that point. It was a great day when he left. The forum is far better now and the mods are more even handed in the main.

What's a racist overtone? There's either people making racist posts, at which point they will be deleted and the user appropriately banned, or people are having a discussion without being racist.

I've seen this sort of complaint being made before, people are having a discussion then after a few dozen pages one user will claim other people are racist, but they're completely unable to quote any post that has any racism in it. The thread is usually closed shortly after. People simply can't handle a debate, and I'm sorry to say but most of the time it's the left and it involves a certain religious topic.

Soldato
There's either people making racist posts, at which point they will be deleted and the user appropriately banned, or people are having a discussion without being racist.
I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when Spie was in charge. His posts frequently contained racism and due to the sycophantic nature of the forum at the time, it was considered acceptable so others followed suit.

As I say, it is better now where at least the racism is mostly challenged.

Soldato
I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when Spie was in charge. His posts frequently contained racism and due to the sycophantic nature of the forum at the time, it was considered acceptable so others followed suit.

As I say, it is better now where at least the racism is mostly challenged.

I doubt his posts were racist, otherwise a quick email to the owners showing the racist posts would've resulted in his immediate removal. Maybe I'm wrong though as I wasn't around.

Back
Top Bottom