Rift £200 off

Soldato
Anyone think the Vive will drop to compete? Think I'd prefer that tbh, esp with Doom VFR coming soon...

Vive is no better than the Rift. And you will be able to play Doom VFR on the Rift no worries about that. If you are thinking about VR, then I suggest you buy the Rift now and if you don't like it sell it sometime after the sale ends, you will probably make money on it!!

Caporegime
Vive is no better than the Rift. And you will be able to play Doom VFR on the Rift no worries about that. If you are thinking about VR, then I suggest you buy the Rift now and if you don't like it sell it sometime after the sale ends, you will probably make money on it!!

That's fairy muff. You think it'll be fully functioning on the Rift, official support?

Soldato
That's fairy muff. You think it'll be fully functioning on the Rift, official support?

I am just curious but is Doom the main reason you are interested in the Vive over the Rift? Or are there other reasons you think the Vive will suit you better?

I would be more worried about Bethesda making a working VR game without a load of bugs. They haven't been able to make a normal game without problems and normally it's the modding community that picks up the slack. Both these games will be on Steam, so they will work with the Rift. Might not be official support in the beginning(I would be surprised if there isn't) But there hasn't been a Vive game yet that I haven't been able to play on the Rift.

Associate
So looking at my Oculus account, from registering the headset adn the touch controls, I've got Toybox, Quill, Dead and Burried, Robo Recall, Oculus Medium (I would have bought that next payday to be honest, looks incredible) and Luckys Tale. I didn't automatically get Dragon Front, but it is listed as free in their store. If you've got Minecraft Windows 10 version (free if you've got the original Java version), then the Oculus VR addon for it is free.
So lots of new toys to really experiment with it. Roll on the weekend!!!

Soldato
So looking at my Oculus account, from registering the headset adn the touch controls, I've got Toybox, Quill, Dead and Burried, Robo Recall, Oculus Medium (I would have bought that next payday to be honest, looks incredible) and Luckys Tale. I didn't automatically get Dragon Front, but it is listed as free in their store. If you've got Minecraft Windows 10 version (free if you've got the original Java version), then the Oculus VR addon for it is free.

Busy, busy :) It doesn't stop there, make one store purchase, you will get Ripcoil free as well. And not forgetting that Echo arena is coming out in a few weeks and that's free for Rift users too.

One more thing, Get Rec Room!! It's brilliant and completely Free!!

Caporegime
I am just curious but is Doom the main reason you are interested in the Vive over the Rift? Or are there other reasons you think the Vive will suit you better?

I've tried the Vive at OcUK and it was awesome, hence my interest. Plus with Valve's backing it seems more of a solid platform.

Caporegime

that's pretty damn impressive Si!! This is getting reallllllll tempting now :cool:

Soldato
I've tried the Vive at OcUK and it was awesome, hence my interest. Plus with Valve's backing it seems more of a solid platform.

To steal your phrase, that's Fairy muff :p But the Rift is just as awesome as the Vive now. Probably more so as the Touch controllers are superb. When Valve release the knuckle controllers they should raise the bar again!!

If you see my post above, the free experiences don't stop with the games/apps that Seabiscuit listed. You will get Echo Arena Free!! After two beta's it has become the most anticipated game in VR.

Soldato
Worth mentioning that if you're not super thrilled with using the Windows 10 version of Minecraft, the Java version has a great mod for VR called Vivecraft that also works with Oculus Touch. It's arguably more robust in terms of motion control support, plus it supports tons of mods that are only usable on the Java version and is slightly more up-to-date. The latest version supports the new Minecraft Java update, which is kind of important considering that it includes the new recipe book, meaning you dont have to take off your headset to look up how to craft something.

Downside is that it doesn't run quite as flawlessly as the Windows 10 version and it doesn't have the pretty incredible cross-platform compatibility the W10 version does.

Associate
Ordered one yesterday, arriving today! Couldn't resist at that price. Managed to get it for £367 with discount I get on gift cards through our portal at work. To say I am excited is an understatement lol! I built a new PC last year in prep for this, an I5 6600k, GTX1070 and 16gb Ram. From what I've read, whilst clearly not as good as a 1080/1080ti it should be more than capable for a decent experience.

Associate
So I tried Oculus Medium for a bit last night. Wow! For me it's worth the purchase price alone. Well, ok, that's maybe an exageration (but only slightly), but as someone who bought ZBrush years ago, have tinkered with Sculptris, Softimage XSI and other 3D modelling programs too, sculpting a 3D model in 3D space is just amazing, and it's so easy to use too. Shame I've got the artistic talent of a breeze block, but I'm still going to have so much fun with that one.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Still too expensive IMO. Would have needed to be £300 or less for me to consider it. New VR with much better tech is likely coming out later this year if not the next, if I am going to pay a premium, it might as well be for one of those. Even then I won't unless there is a killer app or two.

Still not one game that has come out on VR that is a must play imo and that is one of the big reasons there is little interest in it.

Soldato
Still too expensive IMO. Would have needed to be £300 or less for me to consider it. New VR with much better tech is likely coming out later this year if not the next, if I am going to pay a premium, it might as well be for one of those. Even then I won't unless there is a killer app or two.

Still not one game that has come out on VR that is a must play imo and that is one of the big reasons there is little interest in it.

It really isn't expensive. I paid double that and I don't regret it one bit and I thought I would because l was exactly like you thought it was to expensive and nothing that I would consider killer gaming titles. But, I was wrong. It's been the best thing that I have ever purchased for my PC.

I can understand where you are coming from, especially if you haven't tried VR. It's impossible to judge gaming and apps in VR looking at videos and pictures or reading reviews. As I said I was wrong and after using the Rift since June of last year, I think there are loads of killer apps and games out there.

Robo Recall (Amazing game. Anybody who likes shooting games will love this.)
Super Hot,
Arizona Sunshine,
The Climb,
Chronos,
Elite Dangerous, (This game alone makes it worth the cost.
Flight simulaters,
Dirt Rally VR, (any VR car game really)
REC Room,
Star Trek Bridge Crew,
Eleven Table Tennis VR,

Google Earth VR
Medium,
The Quill,
Tilt Brush,

That's not including brilliant experiences like The lab, Blaze Rush, Oculus Dream Deck, Steam VR rooms, Big Screen. Well the list goes on and on.

I find it very hard to go back to 2d gaming now. It's dull, lifeless. The immersion you get from gaming in VR is just amazing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It really isn't expensive. I paid double that and I don't regret it one bit and I thought I would because l was exactly like you thought it was to expensive and nothing that I would consider killer gaming titles. But, I was wrong. It's been the best thing that I have ever purchased for my PC.

I can understand where you are coming from, especially if you haven't tried VR. It's impossible to judge gaming and apps in VR looking at videos and pictures or reading reviews. As I said I was wrong and after using the Rift since June of last year, I think there are loads of killer apps and games out there.

Robo Recall (Amazing game. Anybody who likes shooting games will love this.)
Super Hot,
Arizona Sunshine,
The Climb,
Chronos,
Elite Dangerous, (This game alone makes it worth the cost.
Flight simulaters,
Dirt Rally VR, (any VR car game really)
REC Room,
Star Trek Bridge Crew,
Eleven Table Tennis VR,

Google Earth VR
Medium,
The Quill,
Tilt Brush,

That's not including brilliant experiences like The lab, Blaze Rush, Oculus Dream Deck, Steam VR rooms, Big Screen. Well the list goes on and on.

I find it very hard to go back to 2d gaming now. It's dull, lifeless. The immersion you get from gaming in VR is just amazing.

Thing is, if it was not expensive, a lot more people would own one. If there was must play games, more people would own one. This section of the forum is relatively dead when you compare it to PC gaming.

I am still waiting for those unmissable VR games, not heard of any just yet, so I feel I can wait and get better tech for cheaper in the future when such games are available.

I am in no rush, by next year they will release one with higher resolution, no screen door effect (or much improve at least) and there won't be any wires. My hope is by this point there will be a game that is out that will have me drooling. If not I will wait until the price of that unit drops also which it inevitably will as they won't sell many, especially if they price it wrong again.

Soldato
Thing is, if it was not expensive, a lot more people would own one. If there was must play games, more people would own one. This section of the forum is relatively dead when you compare it to PC gaming.

I am still waiting for those unmissable VR games, not heard of any just yet, so I feel I can wait and get better tech for cheaper in the future when such games are available

You just haven't been listening. I listed out a whole lot of games. Have you even tried RoboRecall or Elite Dangerous in VR? If you haven't then I suggest you try them and then come back here and say there are no unmissable VR games.

And also what about the Buzz surrounding Star Trek Bridge crew? And, Echo Arena is generating huge interesting.

£399 isn't expensive for what you are getting.

You are in no rush but, you are letting great gaming experiences pass you by. There won't be any new generation headsets until 2019, and if you think wireless headsets with improved displays are going to be cheaper than £399 you will be disappointed. You do realise that neither HTC or Oculus are making money on headsets?

Back
Top Bottom