Service Battery Alert on Retina MBP Early 2015

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Possibly a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but it's handy to know what to expect.

My Early 2015 Retina MBP has started showing a service battery warning. It's only done it a couple of times so far but it feels like I haven't really had it long enough for that to be happening just yet. Only bought it January 2016. Last MBP took a good year or more longer to start showing that.

Nearest Apple Store is 50 miles away so not like I can just pop in, but is it worth sorting out an appointment yet? What's the most likely outcome? I've not had a laptop problem before so don't know if it gets sent off to repair? I can't afford to be without it for any length of time so that's not really an option.
It's not got AppleCare, unfortunately.

Obligatory screenshot for anyone that cares ;)
a1ziX6f.png

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
They don't offer repairs in store? Like I said, I can't do without it for any length of time as my work depends on it. :( Don't really want to lose out on income etc!

Commissario
I would say you're good for a repair due to the low number of cycles, I'd use the Apple online chat first of all to see what they say and then perhaps a call to the store to ask them if they swap on the spot. I'd be surprised if they don't.

Oh and o/ ;)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Course Apple do repairs in store. This your first time owning an Apple product? lol

oh and hello "Woman of Honour". What did you have to do to get that :D lol

No :confused: But I've never had anything go wrong before so have no idea what's involved in the repair process!

Permabanned
No :confused: But I've never had anything go wrong before so have no idea what's involved in the repair process!

I do apologise! To make you feel better I broke a MacBook 2016 board today on a rose gold version. They are virtually like butter. No room to fix no matter how careful you are! literally ripped the ribbon cable and socket out of the board as it fell from my hands! :( it was a customers MacBook as well. oops!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I do apologise! To make you feel better I broke a MacBook 2016 board today on a rose gold version. They are virtually like butter. No room to fix no matter how careful you are! literally ripped the ribbon cable and socket out of the board as it fell from my hands! :( it was a customers MacBook as well. oops!
Oops :D Only ever opened one MBP (my last one) to swap out the HD and RAM. That went a bit more smoothly ;)

Looking at your stats, yup, mine is definitely a bit of a mess then :(

Permabanned

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I assume this is a third party app, so is there a possibility it has false readings?
Not installed on mine, but my Macbook Pro is coming up to three years old and not noticed any degredation in performance per charge.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
You may want to do an SMC / PRAM/NVRAM reset. To do this there are a key combo on boot up. These store initial config files and it just resets them.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295 & https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063
Tried that the first time I got the service battery warning, but it returned a few days later :/

I assume this is a third party app, so is there a possibility it has false readings?
Not installed on mine, but my Macbook Pro is coming up to three years old and not noticed any degredation in performance per charge.
It is, but the 'service battery' alert is coming up independently of that/part of MacOS. I just used Coconut to see further details.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

A 3rd-party battery replacement kit (the iFixit one is around €100 and takes 2 hours to replace) could be an option if you desperately need to keep the Macbook.

Soldato
Very poor and worth getting it looked at...

Mine is September 2013 (1403 days) - 686 cycles - 88.2% of design capacity (which I must say I am quite happy with)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
A 3rd-party battery replacement kit (the iFixit one is around €100 and takes 2 hours to replace) could be an option if you desperately need to keep the Macbook.
I've got a feeling I might make a mess of that :D

I've dealt with Apple support online and they agreed that the battery is almost certainly defective, but they can't guarantee the store will be able to replace it on the day. Going to get an appointment sorted for next week and hope I can sort something out on the day!

Thanks for the extra insight into everyone's battery lives. Handy to know that this is far from typical. :)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I'm sure I read if the battery had less than 1000 cycles they may replace it free. Trying to find where I read it now. It's 100% a battery issue as it's starting to fail.

I took my 2012 MBPr in because the capacity dropped to 76% at approx 750 cycles. My thread is here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/2012-mbpr-service-battery.18781809/

tl;dr of the thread is that they agreed very quickly that it was faulty and would be replaced free of charge under consumer law despite my MBPr being 5 years old. However, the battery is bonded to the top case and so both are replaced at the same time and there's no stock of the top case till September. I was given the choice to wait, or have a refurb (likely higher spec) MBPr instead. I opted for a refurb, which I will pick up later today. I'll update the thread once I do :D

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

That's insane that they will replace a 5-yr old battery. How come they don't do this for iPhones and iPads?

Back
Top Bottom