Digital Audio to Aux 3.5

Associate
Afternoon People. I am after some help in regards to linking up some digital speakers to my Television.

For a few years I have been using my bose companion 5 speakers at my computer, they use a USB connection (Stupid I know!).

The audio is very good from this set of speakers and I now want to use these linked up to my TV for more of a home cinema feel. Is there anything out there that can help me facilitate this, as plugging the USB connection into the TV does not an will not work. (I knew it wouldn't)

Any help would be appreciated

Soldato
TV's are usually optical out. Or they have HDMI out (ARC)
Does your Bose have optical audio in, or HDMI input?

Just done a google search just USB input. So no you can't do anything.

Associate
OP
TV's are usually optical out. Or they have HDMI out (ARC)
Does your Bose have optical audio in, or HDMI input?

Just done a google search just USB input. So no you can't do anything.
Unfortunately not, this is the brick wall I have been hitting.

The only idea I can think of is linking the TV to a rasberry PI. Whilst the TV audio will never come through the speakers, Netflix and internet TV would...

Soldato
USB is a host-slave system and can't work with a simple analogue to digital converter. You'd need a computer device with firmware and drivers, so a raspberry pi might be the best cheapest option.

Not sure there is any way to get audio from the TV out to USB that doesn't involve some kind of computer, which is likely going to be a lot more costly.

Associate
OP
USB is a host-slave system and can't work with a simple analogue to digital converter. You'd need a computer device with firmware and drivers, so a raspberry pi might be the best cheapest option.

Not sure there is any way to get audio from the TV out to USB that doesn't involve some kind of computer, which is likely going to be a lot more costly.
My thoughts exactly but thought it was worth an ask.

Talking of computers, I did just come across this which someone has said they managed to use: CYP AU-D150 USB/Optical Digital Audio Converter

Soldato
They couldn't have used that in the same way you're looking to, because that doesn't have USB out or analogue in. It's a DAC with USB input and output for SPDIF.

Associate
OP
They couldn't have used that in the same way you're looking to, because that doesn't have USB out or analogue in. It's a DAC with USB input and output for SPDIF.
But I would be putting USB in and outputting to SPDIF/Optical...

They said this...

if found a way to connect bose companion 5 to my smart tv! I just used a USB to Optical Audio Converter (Hardware) to connect the sound system with optical audio.

Buy something like this and you'll love to watch tv!

CYP CYAUD150 USB Audio-Prozessor

As this thing only has mini usb in i bought an adapter and connected it to the processor. Then I bought an optical audio cable and plugged it to my smart tv. Try it! It works!

Soldato
Well I must admit that makes no sense to me.

The USB is labelled as input. Nowhere in the blurb can I see that the USB will output audio. Both USB and SPDIF are on the input side of the device.

Either it has a unexpected USB audio or capability, or the person that posted that is taking nonsense or has got confused somewhere.

For what it costs, might be worth a try, in case what that person has put is correct; even though from my point of view that is unlikely.

Associate
OP
Well I must admit that makes no sense to me.

The USB is labelled as input. Nowhere in the blurb can I see that the USB will output audio. Both USB and SPDIF are on the input side of the device.

Either it has a unexpected USB audio or capability, or the person that posted that is taking nonsense or has got confused somewhere.

For what it costs, might be worth a try, in case what that person has put is correct; even though from my point of view that is unlikely.
I have gone ahead and bought the below on amazon, should be a similar thing for a lot cheaper, as you say it could be worth a punt. My thoughts are that I will be surprised if it does work, but if it does I have saved a lot of money and kept some decent speakers.

Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter

Soldato
LOL. I knew you'd say that. I nearly put that; but even so, it's still lame not to include aux. They have done in the past and have done with the Companion 50.

Maybe they like to be awkward. :p

Associate
Hi.
Any success in connecting your companion 5 to the tv using the usb?
How about using the raspberry Pi idea?
How about connecting the usb from the system to raspberry and then making a Bluetooth connection between tv and pi? The pi 3 one it has bluetooth option i think.
I just used the bluetooth connection from tv to the bose using Logitech Bluetooth receiver but not able to control the volume with the remote.

Associate
I have gone ahead and bought the below on amazon, should be a similar thing for a lot cheaper, as you say it could be worth a punt. My thoughts are that I will be surprised if it does work, but if it does I have saved a lot of money and kept some decent speakers.

Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter

You are so clueless bro. USB TO S/PDIF, not S/PDIF to USB. How is that going to work??

Back
Top Bottom