NHS holds on to top spot in healthcare survey

Man of Honour
OMG, any of you really believe this crap?
Yes but you have to read it, just like last time the NHS has been found to do poorly.
But the NHS came 10th on healthcare outcomes, a category that measures how successful treatment has been – a significant weakness that was also identified in 2014

Its just the collective we are idiots and are very happy about the service. I couldn't care less if patients hated the service. As long as the outcome was good, which it isn't.

Caporegime
Just to remind everyone how good we have it:

Healthcare_Spending_Per_Capita.png

Soldato
NHS Sucks /s

Why am I in this thread? /yawn

I also have just bought a Theresa May pillow cover, so I can sleep soundly with her under my head every night.

Last edited:
Associate
Once again another study which fails to observe proper statistical analysis and reasoning to its conclusions. The areas where the NHS performs well are based on public surveys. The only area which could be described as being based on meaningful statistical analysis is that of actual patient outcomes, where the NHS ranks second-to-last.

A more honest appraisal of this study is that the NHS has the appearance of performing well, but actually doesn't.

Soldato
Once again another study which fails to observe proper statistical analysis and reasoning to its conclusions. The areas where the NHS performs well are based on public surveys. The only area which could be described as being based on meaningful statistical analysis is that of actual patient outcomes, where the NHS ranks second-to-last.

A more honest appraisal of this study is that the NHS has the appearance of performing well, but actually doesn't.

I have no experience of other nation's systems, however, I've met a few folks from other countries and they seem to think the NHS is quite good.
I also know a few who have returned from the USA and South Africa due to the high costs of their care there. So, the question is, where can you go where you will get a better standard of care for the same or less money?

Caporegime
Depends what sort of care you're talking about, if it's minor... the USA and South Africa are likely to look pretty crappy when you have to pay for consultation and the likes. But a serious problem and the NHS will be more likely to kill you or leave you deeply ruined by long waiting times.

Soldato
4 family members had heart attacks in the last year... The treatment and service that they were provided was excellent.

One had a bypass involving a robot that has left him with 4 tiny key hole scars and was in and out of hospital in less than 2 weeks.

Anecdotal I know but every experience I've had with hospitals has been fine.

Soldato
The American service you get is good, but even with insurance you get bent over and given the shaft. I never had an issue with the NHS, they saved my daughters life against all the odds and the level of treatment was fantastic.

Soldato
Is the purpose of health care good outcomes or access? The NHS came second to last in actually helping people in the commonwealth survey...

https://iea.org.uk/media/commonweal...ocuses-on-inputs-rather-than-health-outcomes/

Both matter. Or does the outcome of a small select who can afford healthcare matter?

If you look at the survey there are many categories the UK does well on and unsurprisingly the conservatives here focus on a single category.

If would bet a million pounds if that was the only category the NHS did well on, these same people would focus on all the others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40608253

The NHS was praised for the safety of its care, the systems in place to prevent ill-health, such as vaccinations and screening, the speed at which people get help and that there was equitable access regardless of income.

Only in one of the five themes looked at did the NHS perform poorly compared with the other nations - health outcomes. This covers general health of the population, early deaths and cancer survival among other measures.

Also no one is stopping people buying additional private healthcare if they want.

However, having free access (tax funded) for all to an efficient base level of healthcare which is actually pretty good is nothing to bash.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go state side. Break a leg, then you can maybe say what's wrong with the NHS. Until you experience a foreign health care system, you have no idea how good we have it.

Man of Honour
However, having free access for all to a base level of healthcare which is actually pretty good is nothing to bash.
And defending it when it ranks so low-key in actual outcome helps no one, you know the single biggest measure that's important, and no I don't want to see it privatised or support what Tories are doing.
NHS consistently fails in the outcomes of treatment in these reports and that is extremely bad,and something that needs to be dealt with.

Soldato
Go state side. Break a leg, then you can maybe say what's wrong with the NHS. Until you experience a foreign health care system, you have no idea how good we have it.

But some people want to pay really high insurance premiums for a marginal improvement in outcomes and service, whilst also decreasing the affordability for others.

Man of Honour
Both matter. Or does the outcome of a small select who can afford healthcare matter?

If you look at the survey there are many categories the UK does well on and unsurprisingly the conservatives here focus on a single category.

If would bet a million pounds if that was the only category the NHS did well on, these same people would focus on all the others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40608253

Also no one is stopping people buying additional private healthcare if they want.

However, having free access (tax funded) for all to an efficient base level of healthcare which is actually pretty good is nothing to bash.

The problem with the commonwealth survey is that it would put a man giving away free leeches over a doctor charging for antibiotics.

Outcomes are not the only measure, but if outcomes are poor, the rest of it is largely irrelevant.

Soldato
Is the purpose of health care good outcomes or access? The NHS came second to last in actually helping people in the commonwealth survey...

https://iea.org.uk/media/commonweal...ocuses-on-inputs-rather-than-health-outcomes/
I didn't read the entire report, but... I have been a support worker for about 20 years. During that time I have noticed several trends-:
1- People ARE living longer. I now routinely see people in their 90's.
2- Treatments are improving. I now encounter folks living well with conditions such as diabetes, strokes and heart attacks who probably would not have been alive 10 or 15 years ago.
3- New treatments at great cost are available. For e.g. about 15 years ago people started to get injections for wet ARMD, and I have met some people who have had 20 or more injections for this condition. The number of beds in renal units also seems to have grown significantly.

Whilst I know the NHS isn't perfect. I'd be curious to know what health care system is, and where in the world you would go to get a higher standard for the same or less money..

Back
Top Bottom