Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
Really interested in getting a concept 2 second hand. Anyone had experience of this? Things I should look for in regards to mechanical condition?
Look up how to check the computer for how many lifetime meters the machine has done - this could have been reset at some point, and so it's not proof of low mileage; however it could identify a high mileage machine being sold as "barely used" or the like.

That said, they're very robust machines and good for years and years of service - lots of companies out there who provide servicing too.

I bought one on eBay - got a bargain. Too loud for use in our London flat though, and bulky, so I sold it on without loss. I decided in the end that I was better off using one in a gym.

Associate
Don't bother! I was looking at getting a second hand one, but they hold their value really well. I looked at loads and most had been abused, done millions of km, were many years old, creaked etc and were going for not much less than a brand new one. Ergs in reasonable condition, some still with the old PM3, were still going for around £200 less than a new one. I ended up saving up a bit more, biting the bullet and grabbing a brand new one from C2. It was £860 but that had a full warranty and PM5. I figured if I didn't use it much I could lump it on eBay and I'd still get most of what I paid for it back.

This is what I'm finding tbh... really not a huge amount of cost difference between used and new. Ultimately I'd be rolling the dice in respects to its condition. So, yeah, looking like new is the way to go. Thanks

Soldato
OP
I bought one second hand for £500 a few years ago. Was very local to me, guy seemed nice, looked after it etc... Its still going strong, probably still worth around what I paid. I think new was a bit more expensive back then.

Failed my 2km PB, had 400m left and stopped, looking back I think I may have been able to push on, not sure. Had a massive stitch on the right side which wasn't helping. Would have just been under 7mins, was hoping for a little sprint at the end, but anything under 7mins was all I was going for.

Followed the guys advice in the vid, 10 strong rows around 1:30/1:35 then settled to race pace of 1:44/1:45, but still failed, lol.

Soldato
This is probably a very unfair question but here I go anyway

I'm a cycling / weights person but have a weeks holiday coming up where the only machine I have access to is a rower. I've rowed a total of 17k in my whole life according to my Concept 2 log from when I owned one very briefly 3 years ago before selling on (as it was too large for the house and was bought mainly for my wife who decided against it). So, if I was to do one row each evening , what could my regime be? In the past I just tried to smash a few 500m efforts and was probably using arms only by then due to terrible form. Having watched a few RowingWOD videos and the like, I thoughts are:
Day 1 - start with just gentle 20-30 minutes to get the form of long strokes with more legs than arms
Day 2 - 2k test (previous best was something like 8:30 but only did it once IIRC)
Days 3-6 - stuff TBC, mixing between 20-30 min slow rows one night and some 500m efforts on the others
Day 7 - 2k test again

It's only for some fun but I like the idea of a rower if I could find the space to have one in the house hence why I want to try a slightly structured

Associate
Well i'm going to take the plunge and order a concept2 this week. It'll be stored in the garage, does anyone for see any problems with keeping it here, particularly in the winter months?

What about flooring, I presume some sort of matting would be useful to keep it from moving?

Associate
Ordered, should arrive Monday :)

Can anyone suggest a good plan to start with? Really I'm looking to lose a bit of weight and increase my general fitness. Currently weighing 182lb and reasonably active. Looking around the beginner pete plan seems like a place to start?

Associate
Great thread, some of you guys have some excellent PB times. I do enjoy using the rowing machine as a good cardio workout after a weight session but not going to gym at the mo, after i picked up injury. I tend to stick to 1Km and 2Km for my distance by personal best over 2Km is currently 8:13, once i am recovered i shall be hitting it once again, aim to sub 8 mins by the new year.

Soldato
OP
Been practicing the sprints again, way better than I was, I struggled to do 6 back then, now I just did ten with 3 blasts at the end.
Guess im 2km sub 7min ready....have to give that a go soon!

0:30.0 144m 1:44.1 310 1364 28
0:30.0 146m 1:42.7 323 1409 30
0:30.0 144m 1:44.1 310 1364 28
0:30.0 146m 1:42.7 323 1409 30
0:30.0 145m 1:43.4 316 1387 28
0:30.0 145m 1:43.4 316 1387 30
0:30.0 148m 1:41.3 336 1455 30
0:30.0 158m 1:34.9 409 1706 36
0:30.0 155m 1:36.7 386 1627 34
0:30.0 155m 1:36.7 386 1627 36

Associate
Really enjoyed my first week. After my first session (following the beginner Pete Plan so a 5k) my knees were killing me. Watched a few technique videos and adjusted the foot straps up one notch which helped to stop my knees going past vertical on my shins. Since then, they've felt great.

Done around 20k, a mixture of steady state and intervals. Haven't attempted a fast 2k yet but my 5k has reduced from 2:09 pace to 2:04 pace this morning. I'm still trying to find the most comfortable combination of stroke rate and power on the 5k but I'm sure that would come with time. Any examples of a typical stroke rate for that length would be great.

I've read that approx. 60% of power should come from legs, 20% from back and 10% from arms. I'm relatively confident my form is ok'ish (I certainly don't feel like I'm moving my hips and arms prior to the legs being fully extended) but by the end of a session, my upper body feels significantly more tired than my lower body (in particular my forearms) I'm assuming its because even though I'm exerting most of the force through the legs, the arms still have to 'hold on' and take some of the impact. Does this sound common to any beginners?

Was going to post a picture of my progress this week but cant figure out how to link google photo pics into this forum. Does anyone know how to do this?

Associate
Really enjoyed my first week. After my first session (following the beginner Pete Plan so a 5k) my knees were killing me. Watched a few technique videos and adjusted the foot straps up one notch which helped to stop my knees going past vertical on my shins. Since then, they've felt great.

Done around 20k, a mixture of steady state and intervals. Haven't attempted a fast 2k yet but my 5k has reduced from 2:09 pace to 2:04 pace this morning. I'm still trying to find the most comfortable combination of stroke rate and power on the 5k but I'm sure that would come with time. Any examples of a typical stroke rate for that length would be great.

I've read that approx. 60% of power should come from legs, 20% from back and 10% from arms. I'm relatively confident my form is ok'ish (I certainly don't feel like I'm moving my hips and arms prior to the legs being fully extended) but by the end of a session, my upper body feels significantly more tired than my lower body (in particular my forearms) I'm assuming its because even though I'm exerting most of the force through the legs, the arms still have to 'hold on' and take some of the impact. Does this sound common to any beginners?

Was going to post a picture of my progress this week but cant figure out how to link google photo pics into this forum. Does anyone know how to do this?

70% legs and that should add up ;)

With the arms, make sure they are actually straight until you are rocking over and engaging your back. Most novices tend to break their arms slightly at the elbow during the leg drive phase which makes the biceps do a lot of work for no gain.

It is likely you are holding onto the handle like a white knuckle ride, on the return you can loosen right off. On slow workouts try 'playing the piano' with your fingers on the return and this will give the lactic acid some time to get out of your forearms.

For reference I do 2k at rate 28/30 to get close to 6 mins and 5k at rate 24/24 to get 16:40. This is done at drag factor 132 (level 5ish). This is considered a low rate but I find it works for me which is the important part. I am 193cm 90kg for reference.

Associate
Thinking of buying a Concept 2 for my Garage. The only thing stopping me is that my wife would prefer a bike. So it's either the rower or an Assault Bike.

I've been going to a crossfit gym for the last year for my conditioning and rowing has come up occasionally, mostly for calories in wods and warmup. I've done 6:56 2k, 1:24 500m and 18:55 5k when they came up.

Looking on eBay you can get the older model Concept 2's for about £400. A new Assault Bike would be £900 similar price to a new model D concept 2 at £860. Is the newer model worth the premium?

Associate
I just sold my model D for £300 on a well known auction site.

Could have got more but was looking for a quick sale as i was moving into a 1 bed flat with no room.

Going to miss Mathilda (yes... that was her name haha). My trust companion for my uni rowing years including doing a charity 24h row!

Soldato
When I was looking for a C2 they all the second hand ones near me seemed to be going for silly money, had a stupid amount of meters on them and were years old! I ended up just going for a brand new one figuring if I didn't use it, I could sell it and not lose too much money.

I'm hoping to get back on mine properly next week. Annoyingly I've been hit with injuries since May so haven't been able to get any consistency or push hard. I was very close to a sub 7 2k so I'm hoping to get back to there.

Back
Top Bottom